2.22.2012

Zucchini Boats

When I was 16, my best friend and I went to a Powersculpting class at the YMCA. We had so much fun, and from that moment on I've had a passion for fitness and nutrition. The last few years have been a bit of a struggle for me to keep it up, but I feel like I'm finally coming back to that passion. And I really want to work to eliminate chemicals and preservatives and all that nasty jazz from my diet and eat whole, pure foods.

But don't get me wrong. I love bacon. And cupcakes. And no matter how gung-ho I get with nutrition, I will never forsake my first love(s).

Cupcakes and bacon.

Oh hey, chocolate.

Cheeseburger? Nice to see you.

MOVING ON.

I'm really working on incorporating a lot more fresh fruits and veggies in my diet. I've seen a bunch of recipes for stuffed zucchini type things floating around the interwebs, so I thought I'd put my own little twist on it.

Enter Zucchini boats. (adapted from here.)

Ingredients

Zucchini (I used one since I was just cooking for me)
4-5 cherry tomatoes
Approximately 1 tbsp of olive oil
A dash of garlic powder or 1 minced garlic clove
A sprinkle of pepper
1-2 tbsp bread crumbs
1-2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella
1-2 tbsp grated parmesan
A dash of basil leaves (I used dried because it's all I had)

Preheat your oven to 350.


1.  Chop off the end of the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and carve a little groove in both halves.



2. Mix the olive oil, garlic, and pepper in a bowl. Brush the mixture onto the zucchini halves. Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters and place in the grooves.



3. Sprinkle with a healthy dose of bread crumbs. Place zucchini halves on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 30 minutes.




4. After 30 minutes, pull them out, and sprinkle with delicious cheese.

Sprinkle of cheese on the food.
Sprinkle of cheese in my mouth.

Mmm.

Place zucchini underneath the broiler until cheese has melted and started to brown, about 5 minutes. When they come out of the oven, top with basil.


5. Enjoy the health! And the yumminess!

I served mine over parmesan risotto. Double yumz.

10 comments:

  1. Awww, class with Amy! I miss that! And next time you're making these, invite me over - I'll bring the gluten-free breadcrumbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthy and nutritious!!! love love love it!!!! thanks for sharing this, i, too love eating such... great blog.. following you now.. hope you could visit my blog too.. kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really good - and healthy! I never purchase zucchini myself, but always like it out. For some reason I'm intimidated by it.

    Last night I had Bacon-chocolate chip pancakes for dinner. You win on the health factor, but mine was worth the extra time at the gym this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh. YUM. those look amazing. also, i love your blog :) i am your newest follower! wooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, healthy pants. These look amazing. I think I saw something like this on Pinterest . . . but now, I definitely need to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! :) Who knew zucchini could look so tasty?
    I'm glad you're not abandoning your first loves;) Bacon cannot be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg that looks so easy. I've never seen you blog about food before, but I'm going to make this for my husband and see what he says. I think he will say something to the effect of "WHERE IS MY MEAT"? But I'll have to see.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.