3.12.2012

Thoughts about weekends

Every Friday without fail, I get asked the same questions by every single person in the building. And we have the same conversation. Every week. It goes a little something like this:

Coworker: "What are your plans for the weekend?"

Me: "Don't really have any. I just want to relax."

Coworker: ".....no plans? But why? You have to do something, it's the weekend!"

Me: "Well, all I want to do is relax. I like not having plans."

Coworker: "....okaaayyyy......" and then they look at me like I'm crazy.

This literally happens every week. 

But I've realized something. I love not having weekend plans. I know most people love to go places and see people all weekend long, but I'm not one of them. After a long week at a jobs we don't love, James and I love having an open weekend. Plus, due to our schedules, we don't have much time together during the week. We love being able to sleep in, make a yummy breakfast, catch up on our favorite TV shows, and do whatever we feel like doing. Sometimes we go on an adventure, sometimes we lay in bed all day watching Netflix. Maybe we act like we're 83 years old. Maybe people think we're missing out on life and fun by grocery shopping on a Saturday night, but this is who we are. We're low key people, and we like to do our own thing.

This weekend was great. On Saturday we slept until the singing birds on the tree branch by the window woke us up. I lit my favorite vanilla and lemon candles, and we made breakfast and watched some cooking shows. 

Sidenote: I think candles are my love language. Must burn candles at all times.


James at Cracker Barrel (yum!), pretty sunset, and cuddling with the cutest kitty.

We spent the rest of the weekend doin' our own thang. James finally went to the eye doctor and got some new glasses. He's had the same broken pair since before we met. I'm so excited for them to come in! They're bold and funky and no one else could pull them off the way James can (in my unbiased opinion, of course).

We got some Jeni's ice cream on Sunday. Heelllooooo gooey butter cake & icelandic happy marriage cake ice cream! I figured it was an appropriate way to kick off my birthday week ;)




Oh, and apparently the guy who bagged our groceries is Selena Gomez's cousin. See, people? This is why you should grocery shop on Saturday nights too. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like my husband & I. Everyone things we're boring and need to get out. But we'd just rather run errands and lay around the house playing video games, ha! We manage to get ourselves to church Sunday morning, but besides that we're usually just at home. I love weekends like that!

    Cheers to being "boring"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're adorable! my hub and i have two little boys and literally have no idea what it feels like to "relax." do it while you still know what it means. you'll be busy for the rest of your life, or at least be "expected" to be busy. use those weekends how you see fit! I would be doing the exact.same.thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love not having weekend plans too. After a long week of school & work--I want nothing more than just to relax and hang out with the hubs and pup. We are pretty much 83 too. I like how you think ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you guys would be excellent double date partners with me and Brandon :-) We're pretty much 82 year olds also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I are the same way. No plans. Ever. We want to do whatever we want to do without obligation to hold other commitments. Our entire week has to be planned out, so why would we want to plan our weekends too? AND true story. We are trying to move OUT of the center of Houston to live "out in the sticks". Everyone my age thinks I'm crazy, because "everything is in Houston," but we want to live in a cottage... in the woods... by candlelight... with neighbors who aren't stacked right up against us.

    Awww, bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my hubby and I met, he had had the same pair of glasses for over 16 years. They were round and looked like the Harry Potter glasses. I made him get new frames before our wedding :)

    Oh and my weekends sound almost identical to ours.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.