5.02.2012

19 again



There is one thing I know for sure. I have strong, strong memories attached to certain songs. For instance, just now I was sitting here at my desk, trying to figure out which project I need to finish first. I was paper clipping certificates together (wanna trade jobs?!) when Satellite by Guster started playing on my Fleet Foxes Pandora station.

It was like someone had literally put me into a time machine and transported me back to the summer of 2008 in a split second. I'm not even kidding. For a minute I swear I could feel the searing hot Carolina sunshine and suffocating humidity. I could see the tall green pines and red brick buildings on campus as my Rainbows clip clapped underneath my feet on the way to my summer math class.

It was my first summer in North Carolina. My dad accepted a position at a clinic in Greenville and my parents moved down in March of 2008 (they moved back to Ohio a year and a half later). I was dying for a fresh start and a break from the cornfields, so I joined them under the condition that during my sophomore year of college I would be living at home with them since they would be paying out of state tuition. I was just so excited to get out of Ohio. My high school years had been less than desirable, and my first semester of college had been slightly tainted by my high school boyfriend parading himself around campus with a different girl each week. I was ready to do something drastic. I had never even heard of East Carolina University until the day I applied there. I was quickly accepted and registered for summer classes to make up for taking the spring semester off.

I was terrified I would have trouble making friends. I was {am!}  shy and would be living at home instead of on campus. It felt like a double whammy. However, within the first few weeks I met some people at a local church. They took me to a CRU meeting on campus and introduced me to their friends. I spent the rest of the spring hanging out in their dorms after classes, going to ECU baseball games, and having movie nights at my house. I was stunned at how quickly I found a group of friends.

The summer was even better. There were barbecues and pool parties and beach trips in my favorite striped bikini. There was piano and guitar playing, late night walks around the neighborhood, and many a mocha frappucchino. I went on so many dates {cover your eyes, James!} and met so many more people. I was enjoying my composition classes and my newfound love for writing. I ran 3 miles every morning and laid out on the back deck every afternoon. My Irish skin was as tan as it had ever been. Friends would come visit me during my shifts at The Olive Garden, and my mom and I came up with the world's best spinach lasagna recipe. It was a summer for the books, and one I think about often and sometimes wish I could relive.

The summer carried into a fun fall semester, but things unraveled after that. I've lost contact with just about all those people, for various reasons. And that's ok. It lead me to make new friends, and I met James that winter. So everything worked out. However, I just had a mini heart attack when I realized that summer was four years ago. If you would have asked me then what I thought life would be like in 2012, I would've told you that I would be working as a Nurse, hopefully somewhere even closer to the beach. I had never even wanted to set foot in Ohio again, and here I am. And I'm loving it. And I'm most definitely not a Nurse.

My life has changed so drastically in those four years. As happy to be where I am {most of the time}, I sometimes wish I could back to those fun, carefree days. But then a song comes on, and for those brief three to four minutes, I'm 19 again.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I totally know what you mean! There are many different things that take me back to the past. But remembering all of those times just seems to make me love where God has me right now even more.

    I'm in the same boat as you. If you would have asked me 4 years ago where I'd be now it wouldn't be here. Here is 10x's better then what I had planned for my life!

    God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post...

    I love hearing a song that reminds me of good times. There are so many songs that I listened to from 2007-2009 that remind me of my favorite college years, the things I did, the trouble I got into... ;)

    Nothing bad! 19 was a good age. I grew up a lot when I was 19.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 19 is an interesting age. I met the boy that thank goodness I didn't marry. It was my first real relationship. I love how songs can transport you to a different time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I feel like I say this on every post, but I'm just the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this post. :) We put on a performance of The Chronicles of Narnia in my freshman year, and as the stage crew was setting up the stage we had Dare You to Move by Switchfoot blaring through the auditorium surround sound. So whenever I hear that song now, I think of wooden swords and Tumnus, white chocolate frappucchinos and getting my face painted blue (which was weird because I was a snow leopard. Go figure.) Brings back lovely memories. :)

    -jessie suzanne

    http://awakened-by-jesus-christ.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stopping by from Kelly's Korner. I'm from NE Ohio. I moved here from Iowa 10 years ago for college and never would have thought things turned out the way they did. But things always happen for a reason. And other than being at the beach {which someday I will be} I actually love Ohio, minus the crazy weather!

    Amber
    www.luvlaughterandhappilyeverafter.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.