8.27.2012

dear monday: go step on a lego

If you're reading this, it means it's Monday and I'm at my desk trying not to cry. You see, I'm typing this Sunday evening. Fall scented candles are currently burning on the fireplace mantle, James is next to me while I eat a burrito, and Taken is on TV. Which means Liam Nelson is on TV.



I found a new app, Incredibooth. I can't stop playing with it. It's an actual problem.


I woke up Saturday morning to the best text of all time from my dad. 



He sends me a Christmas countdown every month on the 25th. I love it. He's the only other person in the world who loves Christmas as much as I do.

Anyway. I had to take my poor kitty to the vet on Saturday to get vaccinated so we can board her (WAH!) while we're in California. Poor thing was not having it. I spent part of the afternoon at Hobby Lobby. I had the strangest urge to paint things, so I spent an inordinate amount of time in the paint aisle mixing and matching different shades of blues and greens. I also snagged a canvas.

Pause: I spent far too long looking at fall decorations. It's a miracle I only came away with two candles. I wanted all the pumpkins. Also, half the store was taken up by Christmas decorations. I'm not complaining, seeing as Christmas is my favorite holiday, but it was strange to look at ornaments while wearing a tank top and shorts.

I wanted to make this project with different shades of blues and greens. The only problem is that painting in the lines is WAY harder than you would think. I tried to make the prism shape but it just wasn't working out so well, so I switched to stripes. I'm sure I could've made the shapes work if I used a much smaller paint brush, but ain't nobody got time for that. 

This is how it turned out. I hung it over our bed and I love it. It reminds me to the Caribbean sea or something. The lines are much wonkier than the inspiration picture, but I say it gives mine character ;)

I know. I know! I need curtains. And the bed isn't made. Deal.
Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.All pictures in this post were taken with my iPhone. Getting my actual camera out just didn't sound as appealing this time. 

On Sunday we took stealthy pictures in church because I have no idea why. James didn't realize what I was doing until I was done.


When we got home, the strange urge to paint returned. I happened to have a canvas laying (lying? help? I have an English degree and still can't figure this out) around. I didn't have any painter's tape but I did have electrical tape! Which I do not recommend because it doesn't stick well and the paint seeped underneath in areas. Oh well. Character, right?


I felt a little like I was doing a kindergarten art project, but I found it on Pinterest so it has to be legit and awesome, right? Plus I had more fun than any adult should.

I started a very small gallery wall on the stairway. I've been meaning to do this for over a year and I'm just now getting around to it. Don't judge me on these pictures. I didn't think to take any until evening and like I said, I used my phone.




Mysterious black smudge? The joys of apartment living.

These are all free printables from Pinterest! I have more I want to print, and many more frames and things to put up later. The spacing looks a little weird, but honestly I didn't put a ton of thought or effort into it. This is a rental, after all.

Sunday afternoon was strange. Really strange. I felt pretty off all day and like I was coming down with something. I felt weak and my muscles were achy and stomach was in sort of epic disagreement with me. But in a strange twist of fate, it was one of the most productive days I've had in a loooong time. I cleaned and organized and hung things on the wall. Granted, I had to lay down and rest every hour or so, but still. 
And I put some yummy fall candles on the mantle.


What did you do this weekend?

9 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes to Hobby Lobby and fall scented candles. Can we discuss how long I held my favorite fall candle in my hand on Saturday? A long time. I didn't light it, but I sure did want to.

    I also fondled (giggle) the fall air freshener that will be in my car on September 1st.

    I resisted any urge to sniff my scarves and hoodies.

    I LOVE YOUR PAINTINGS! Can I hire you to make some for my room? I have an idea, but I've been too lazy to do it. I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you aren't coming down with anything and hope you're feeling better today! Love your painting projects! Sunday was a productive day for us too.... we deep cleaned the kitchen and I did some serious work to the room that SHOULD be an office but is a disaster at the moment. LOL, baby steps ;)

    PS- I'd have to argue that my husband may very well love Christmas as much as you, or more. He's obsessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in and out of sleep all afternoon yesterday! So weird. I'm not one to nap, but I kept dozing off. I had gotten up at 7:30 AM and did yoga right after feeding the cats. As soon as Husband was awake, we started cooking food for the week and lunch. So much was happening in the kitchen! I had all sorts of things on my to-do list, but it was nice to just do what I had time for... after sleeping in spurts of 30 minutes all afternoon. :-)

    I think it's funny that you were taking pictures during church. Tsk tsk! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm DYING at "go step on a lego" that's CLASSIC babe!
    I could not for the life of me get up this morning - And I am sitting here at work reading blogs (SHAME.) Oh well.
    And kudos friend for having scented candles for fall already - we're soul mates, I think...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the paintings and the gallery wall and the rando mid church photo shoot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your paintings, they look great!

    Haha, your church pictures are great. I am definitely downloading that app.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mantle.

    I love that you painted because you could.

    I love that the flu didn't rear it's ugly head, or did it? did it?

    my stomach has hated me for about a month now, depends on the day. I'm probably dying ROCK ON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many cute things in your apartment! Wanna come to Colorado and help me decorate mine?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.