8.17.2012

I will fear no evil

Fear and anxiety are like the pesky little brothers you can't seem to escape from. They're something I struggle with daily. Sometimes it's justified, and sometimes it's completely irrational. I worry about my future, finding good friends, losing my good health, and everything in between. Some days I can easily control it, and sometimes it's all consuming.





God does not want us to worry. He tells us over and over in scripture not to worry, because He's holding us in the palm of His hand. We're safe and secure and nothing happens to us that He does not allow. Even If James and I both lost our jobs today or we're diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I want to accept my life the way it is, trust the Lord, and not fear. To make the best of every situation. To not be scared of anything that comes in my path. To be joyful.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

My job has a lot of downtime, and unfortunatly that's when my mind likes to go crazy. By the time I get home from work sometimes I'm anxious and antsy about nothing. I'm not going to allow myself to keep doing that. I'm going to focus on the good things in my life and not worry and fear the future, the unknown, or the what-ifs. There is just no point!

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27

This isn't something I can fix overnight. But it's a start. So here's to not letting fear rule our lives and being joyful in whatever situation we find ourselves in, for there is no better place to be than right where God has us.

14 comments:

  1. yes. and so true! Accepting life exactly where we are is probably one of the hardest things in life, I feel like. If you can do that, that you got it lady. God is FOR us, so nothing can be against us and win! :) Take joy my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so comforting. thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so true pretty girl!
    FORGET THE WORRY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anxiety attacks at the most random times, doesn't it? And then other times, it's completely understandable. Anxious about driving to the bank? Dumb. Anxious because the lights went out in the conference room I was in yesterday. Fair enough.

    Either way, this was deep for a Friday. But letting anxiety and fear control you is for chumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem and I think it is the hardest thing to overcome. I have been trying my hardest the past few months as I look for a new job and havent found anything that makes me happy... But, the Lord provides and I shall not worry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! I'm the same exact way. At some point I've just got to give up the worrying and give it over to God! What an awesome reminder for my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that fear and anxiety too well. I've struggled with it many times over my life. Most notably back in my junior year of high school. It was debilitating. God humbled me and used that anxiety to show me that I hadn't ever really chosen to follow Him. He used my breaking point to change me. I wish I could say I didn't struggle with it anymore. But it rears it's ugly head from time to time.

    My favorite verse dealing with this is Jeremiah 29:11 (I like the NIV version best.) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, my dear, you are not alone in this struggle. i have to remind myself often that even my mistakes aren't enough to wreck God's plans for me. we can't give ourselves that much credit. knowing that is comforting to me in a weird way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I struggle with this, too. This was such a great post! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anxiety.

    It's my arch nemesis. Last night for example I dissolved into tears.. talking to my best friend... "you don't text me goodnight anymore.." (insert sob) "i feel like you're letting me go."i want to say it's 75% PMS though. My best friend is so lucky to have this lunatic.

    I just posted this on your blog, hahaha. awesome.

    Girl, I loved this post.. and you, I just love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this today! I struggle with fear and anxiety too. I mean, I worry about things that no sane person should worry about! I guess it is a constant battle for me. Thanks for posting those verses! It's a great reminder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely my struggle in life too. It can consume you so quickly & learning to control it is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I nominated you for the Versatile blogger award :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so needed to read this tonight. Feeling really overwhelmed with this first week of school (hence my blog-reading while I should be home-working, lol) and trying to fit it in with the rest of my life. Reading that part of the verse that says, "I will help you" is EXACTLY what I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.