10.16.2012

a girl & her blog: a love story



Most people start blogging to let their families know what's going on in their lives/what size diaper little Johnny is having blowouts in today.

Not me. I don't even know how I found out about blogging. I think I creeped the blogs of people I knew and found others, and it went from there. Reading blogs used to be one of my favorite things to do in college. I used to come back from class, throw on sweats, make a cup of coffee, and read my favorite blogs until I even acknowledged the existence of homework. The good 'ol days. I always wanted to start a blog, but I had no idea what I was doing and what I would write about it. 

And then, one year ago today, when I was still working at Verizon and had the job from the pit of hell, I got to work and had a total breakdown. I started crying and my stomach was in knots. I found my supervisor and told him I just needed to go home. So I did. I hit a wall that day, and I knew something needed to change. I missed writing, and I needed an outlet. So I started a blog and wrote my very first post, which I refuse to link to because there's a typo and I say outlandish things like "I'm going to make things I find on Pinterest!"

I posted maybe three or four times last year and had a whopping 5 followers. One of my main New Years Resolutions was to post regularly and attempt to immerse myself in the blog world. And here I am now, one year later, with over 200 readers. That still blows my mind. I know I'm still a little baby blog, but I've done zero sponsoring and haven't given away any pillows or necklaces. So I consider this blog a huge success. I thought I would be able to rule the world if I ever hit 100.

Another reason I started blogging was for the community. I feel weird talking about internet community, because I'm terrified it will be perceived like this:





For this very reason, I didn't tell anyone about my blog for several months. I finally cracked when my friend was over, sat me down on the couch with my laptop and said Michelle, you are starting a blog right now!  and I responded with um, I already have one...

I was scared no one would ever read my blog, I was scared it would sound silly, and ultimately I was scared I would fail at it. But I finally told James and my mom. And to this day no one else in my real life knows, except those who follow me on twitter and probably think I'm a lunatic. I don't hide it because I'm scared anymore, but because I don't want people from high school creeping on me. The same reason I deleted my Facebook. Yet I don't care if the rest of the world creeps on me? I know. It doesn't make sense. So, people from high school reading this from twitter, now you know my secret.

But really. Blogging is a lot like E-Harmony for friends, like my dear friend Lindsay so eloquently put it. Due to moving and marriage and other things, I found myself seriously lacking some good friends, and blogging has totally filled that void. Some of my best friends are people I've never met. I text/email/Skype some of you much more than my IRL friends. And I have no idea how I ever made it through work before I started emailing some of you. It's just awesome to know there are people around the world I could so easily be best friends with. One year down and I've made some of the best friends. And I know you're my friends because who else would put up with jorts haikus and incessant whining about my job? Exactly. You guys don't know how much you mean to me. But blogging didn't just introduce me to new people, it helped me reunite with an old friend.

It's a been year and blogging and I are still going strong. So yeah, I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious.

22 comments:

  1. Blogging is totally internet dating for friends. Without blogging, I would have never met my best friend. And I'm pretty sure I like my blogging friends than my "real life" friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1 year of blogging! I love reading your blog even though I may not always comment. You have a great sense of humor! I find it amazing how much I too rely on my blog friends. Such an amazing support community! I'm so happy to get to "know" you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOG :) and happy anniversary to you and your blog :) SOO grateful you started it because.. we may have never ever found each other again!!!
    I LOVE YOU LADY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 1 year of blogging! I just hit that same place myself :) And I may have snorted when you said you haven't given away any "pillows or necklaces" ;) Comments like that, and the fact that you incorporated Napoleon Dynamite into your blog are reasons I love your blog!! I feel like I've made sooo many blog friends too, something I was originally totally freaked out by and also thought I'd never have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, love you, love you, Michelle! You KNOW I'm grateful for our now-IRL friendship of texting and Skype. At least, I HOPE you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm glad you started blogging, because I've loved getting to know you. Yay for 1 year of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe it's taken me this long to read your post and comment. The Tuesdays are attacking me today, that's all I can say...

    Happy 1 year! I don't remember how I came across your blog, and that bothers me, but I'm so glad that I did. What I should be doing is thanking YOU for putting up with me. And letting me vent. And making me laugh. And sharing comments about the most ridiculous outfits.

    And I blame you for getting me excited about Christmas in OCTOBER. This has never happened before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so great! Seriously. How cheesy did that sound. Wow. But really, I am glad that I found you. Or you found me. Or however that worked. Either way, congrats on your blogoversary.

    Your final sentence was pure gold. GOLD. Kip 4 life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogoversary!! I am the exact same way. I have been battling with the idea of "coming out" as a blogger but am scared of people from high school thinking I am weird or being able to look in on my life. Which, as you said, is ridiculous considering my life is open to countless strangers on the Internet lol. I think it's just so much easier to write when the audience knows your thinking from the get go. I don't want people from high school going on and thinking I am fake or something bc they didn't know the "real me" or whatever.. If that makes sense haha. Basically, I totally get you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing! 200 in one year? You're definitely my hero - I'm at the whopping-5 point currently, and I think 3 of them aren't even active. Your success, sans sponsoring/linking/giveaways, gives me hope! Way to go on that, btw; now your success is contigent on people liking you, not necklaces. That should feel great, and you totally earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy blog-a-versary/ BL-irthday! You have my full permission to use those terms from now on. Also CLUTCH use of Napoleon Dynamite graphics- I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I love that movie, but I feel like this is a safe place to express that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love blogging. I wish I got as many comments as you! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy blog birthday! You should be really proud of your blog and how much you have managed to make it grow, you are an inspiration to this blogging newbie and I really hope I can get as much out of blogging as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love blogging--I haven't been at it as long as you have...but I started it pretty much for the same reason, because I needed/wanted an outlet for writing. Plus, my ultimate dream is to be a published writer so I thought I'd get good practice blogging. I think I'm one of the weird/few people who actually goes around telling everyone I know that I'm a blogger. Which mostly just makes them look at me funny but I am okay with that! :P Congrats on one year of sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Happy one year :) I love your line about blogging like internet dating for friends. I totally agree :) I also feel weird about talking about my blog and blog friends with people who don't blog. They just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this during class actually... oops. Literally laughed out loud!
    Happy ONE YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to go on making it to a year of blogging! Really enjoy reading your blog, and hope that it continues to bring you a lot of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you blog and so glad we are e-friends.
    "LaFawnda's my soulmate."

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the napoleon reference!! too perfect

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyy bbbbbbbbbbbbbblogggggggggggggggging Anniversary.

    My world is so much better with you in it, and the only way that could have ever happened is via this little place of blogs. perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I just say that I think your an even MORE awesome blogger because you haven't done giveaways or sponsors? Honestly, I feel like that stuff is so fake. Probably 70% (or more) people do those things because they solely want more followers. They have to get to that certain number and I can't stand it!

    So thank you for being a great writer, for being a genuine person, and fun to read! I'm also very happy that you picked LaFonda ;D

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.