10.04.2012

a peek into my world


I've written a little about my job before and how I do a lot of typing for those who have never heard of the invention of grammar. I am given pieces of paper of hastily scribbled nonsensical "sentences", and it is my job to peer deep into the mind of the person who wrote this and figure out exactly what they wanted it to say, and then make it sound pretty.

There is one person who is worse than all the others. My boss even warned me about her when I was hired. To give you an idea of what I deal with every day, I thought I would give you an example. This is a letter I was working on yesterday. I've gotten pretty skilled at deciphering her writing. Every time I make it through one of her sentences, I feel a bit like a special agent cracking a russian code. And then I reward myself with a handful of candy corn.

Every now and then there's a word I just can't figure out. I'll stare at it for a day or two, hoping I'll finally get special powers to see beyond the scribble and into the heart of the writer. I try to figure out on my own, because the lady gets a little peeved when I ask her to decipher a word for me.

But yesterday I could wait no longer. I just wasn't figuring it out. See the word highlighted in yellow? (disregard the whiteout. I wrote the actual word to remember it) What do you think it says?

Corek? Crek? Corlk? There is a DISTINCT cursive "r" in there. Am I right?

 I finally gathered up my courage and asked her what she wrote.




Are you ready for this?

Can you handle it?

Here it is.


Cookout.


The word is cookout.

She looked at me like I was crazy for not figuring it out.


Are you banging your head against a wall yet?

Good. Welcome to my world.

24 comments:

  1. No way, no how. That woman is crazy. That is NOT cookout. There's like 4-5 letters in there, tops.

    I don't know how you do it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is definitely NOT cookout!!! woman needs to go back to elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky and I cannot stop laughing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

    this gave me such a good laugh. I almost won't LET you quit because of these stories. But yet, I feel your pain. hahaha oh my. there is no way that is cookout. NO WAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow. that's all I can say. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha oh wow! it's like her own "special" shorthand...worst!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the fuuuuuu...

    There is no way. No way in Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, or Timbuktu.

    She's kind of like those interim refs for the NFL. "Oh, I'll just make up my own rules."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some pretty illegible handwriting myself. My lowercase b's always look a bit odd, but usually anyone can make out whatever the word is suppose to be.

    There is no way that word is suppose to be cookout. Obviously that's what she meant to write, but she must of gotten tired halfway through the word and just moved on. I could see it being "cook", but there is no way it's "cookout". You must have quite a bit of patience to deal with that day in and day out. I know I couldn't handle that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's bad....there aren't enough letters for it to be cookout, my guess was corel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha- love how you reward yourself with candy corn! Cookout?! For real?! OMG I could maybe, possibly, if I squint see "cook", but cookout HELL no! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would've gone with "cock," which clearly shows you where my mind was. WTF, lady, what the heck is up with your bad handwriting?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...seriously? There is not way that says cookout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that definitely says cookout. in some alien language i'm not fluent in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is NOT cookout. You need a raise right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha. I'm definitely feeling for you right now, that is ridiculous! What, um, colorful co-workers you have...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's pretty bad. And I'm horrible with grammar, but I know to at least be readable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok... I can kind of see how she wrote "cook", but "cookout" is a stretch. There are definitely no letters there to spell "out". Yikes. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh.
    I literally almost fell out of my chair!!!
    What the crap??
    She should be fired.
    Maybe that would make your job a little easier?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I teach middle school, so deciphering handwriting is like a requirement. (And it shouldn't be in your job description, because you work with adults, not 13 year olds) But no idea how she got cook out. Maybe Miss Passion for Fashion can do her notes/assignments in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my heavens. Somebody apparently skipped third grade writing class. Never, ever would have guessed cookout!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what . the. heck. there seriously needs to be a reality show at your work!

    :o

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.