10.11.2012

silver linings

I absolutely cannot thank you guys enough for all the sweet thoughts about my grandpa. It's been a hard, hard week for my family. Two unexpected deaths in in two days. As heartbreaking as it has been, honestly, it's hard to be too sad when I think about the fact that I prayed for three years for a chance to see my grandpa before he died. So many times he was on his death bed, and my parents would fly out to see him while I had to stay back and work or go to school. It wasn't until last month that I finally had the finances and time to go see him. Not only that, but our little family get together turned into a full blown reunion, giving me the chance to see not only my grandpa and second cousin that just passed away, but so many other family members I probably won't get a chance to see again. If I hadn't just seen him just a few weeks ago, this would be so much harder. God totally answered that prayer, and I am so thankful.


I'm trying to pull myself out of my funk and focus on the things I have to look forward to.This week has been horrible, but it hasn't been all bad.

-After ranting and raving about how I'm totally not impressed by the iPhone 5, I ordered myself one. Ugh, I'm a spoiled brat, ok? I do love it, though. I do. And it was delivered at just the right time to cheer me up.



I'm trying to come up with a name for it. I name all my apple devices so I can see the name on my iTunes sidebar when I plug it in. You know what I'm talking about, right? My first iPod was Bob Saget. My current iPod is Siegfried. My iPhone 3G was Shawnquilla. My iPhone 4 was Jean-Claude. For my 5, I'm currently between Lafonda and Ron Swanson. Thoughts?


-I've been keeping a little somethin' somethin' in my desk drawer to help me get through the day. I can't seem to quit it. I finished off the first bag yesterday and I was starting to twitch, so I had to run an errand on my lunch break.

I'm starting to feel like maybe life will go on again.  

-So, grad school. I haven't talked about that in awhile, have I? Let's see. Where to begin. I submitted my application in early August. Once everything was submitted, they said it should take about a week to hear back. Several weeks went by. A professor forgot to send in my recommendation, and one school took two weeks to send a transcript, and then it took over a week to get there even though it was sent just several towns over. By late August, everything was in. I figured I would hear something while I was in California. 

I didn't hear anything. I didn't worry about it since I was on vacation. I touched base with them mid September, and they realized the Education department accidentally skipped over my application. I heard back later that day that as long as I took two pre req online classes by February, I was in. I start one of those classes next week, and yesterday I officially reserved my spot in the program. So assuming financial aid and all that jazz works out, I'll start grad school in February. I still have a handful of extra classes I'll have to fit in somehow along the road, but that can be dealt with later. I'm just so happy to finally be doing this. I have a lot to figure out, but I know it will work out one way or another.


So there are things to be happy about. And this weekend James and I will be staying with my family to celebrate his birthday. I figure what better way to honor two deaths than by celebrating another year of life.

18 comments:

  1. Congrats about grad school! You might have just inspired me to get my Master's...okay, I'm joking. I actually would go back to school, but I'm not sure what I would go back for, so I'm waiting.

    I vote for Lafonda.

    I finally found the perfect card to send to you, and it will be on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Def. Lafonda- I mean how could you not? I love it!

    I am glad you got to see your Grandpa one last time. It gives me hope that things really do happen for a reason. I am glad it helped you to get through this a little easier.

    Death is such a hard hard thing and death in two's- I just can't even imagine. You deserve the candy corn.

    Congrats on grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. grad school, so fun!! good luck with that all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to read that you were able to make it out and see your grandpa before he passed away.
    I can see why it's such a hard decision between the two names for your phone. I can't decide between the two either, just to put in a vote!
    Candy Corn, oh candy corn. The other secretaries here at work, and I were trying to decide what to put in our vases, that still currently hold spring-ish looking flowers made from tissue paper. They've both suggested filling them with candy corn for that nice fall look. I told them we couldn't do that because I'd eat it. ALL! And these vases aren't small.
    Congrats on grad school, and good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should name it Perquilla.
    I also name all my apple devices. they are as follows: franklin, delano, roosevelt (ironic, eh?).. so, if/when I get an iphone, I will be just a torn as you!

    Also- i just love you lady!! good for you for reserving your spot :) so proud of you!
    remember, I am here for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I didn't see that your grandpa passed away, and I just wrote you "Hope your week has been great!" Blah. Sorry about that. I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't care whether death is 'expected' due to health, sudden, 'old', or young... death hurts and it's hard.

    I loveee that you got a chance to see your grandpa recently! Sounds like you have wonderful memories--and that is the best.

    Hang in there lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron Swanson, all day! He is my hero.

    Glad things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally like Ron Swanson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY grad school!
    Today I printed out several of your posts so that one of my students can see examples of excelent writing! I am about to give them to her...she came up and asked me how to improve her writing... my suggestion was to read good wriiting :)

    So really your teaching already :)

    Have some candy corn for meeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote Ron Swanson. All my phone's are called Mel. Mel the Cell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you can be so optimistic! Go, you! Even if you have to eat all the candy corn in the world.

    Congrats about grad school!

    I vote for Ron Swanson, although I'd like to throw you a curveball and suggest Uncle Jesse. (Bob Saget made me do it.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am voting for Ron Swanson. And I keep looking at my mason jars of candy corn and thinking it won't be too big of a deal if I just have one or two pieces. From each jar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katy Perry.


    Thinking of you, a whole heck of a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear of your loss Michelle,your Grandpa sounds like he was a wonderful man. I love that you name your apple devices, that's genius. Congrats on grad school.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness. I just read this, and you know it has to be Lafawnda.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, we have so much to catch up on. Still on for Skype on Sunday? LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your grandpa and cousin, but they are no longer suffering!

    And I totally vote LaFonda for the new iPhone name. Man...I loved her character! hahaha but Ron Swanson is pretty good too. Ahh, I'm torn.

    Congrats on grad school! I bet you're so relieved!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.