10.15.2012

to october & the country

I've always considered myself a city girl. I love the constant access to good food and stores and shows and energy. I love the mix of sleek skyscrapers and 200 year old brick buildings. But since moving back to Ohio last year, I think I've slowly been changing my mind.

There's a little backroad in the country I take to get to my parent's house. It's 35 miles of pure, midwestern beauty. It curves this way and that, next to the river and in and out of farmland. There are little crossroad towns without even a stoplight, boasting only a handful of farmhouses and a little white church with a steeple. There are white picket fences, yellow farmhouses, and red barns. And it's starting to do a number on me.

I love living in the city, I really do. I love that there is a Whole Foods at my back door and downtown just 10 minutes down the highway. I love that Hobby Lobby, Starbucks, and Chipotle are half a mile from my front step. But the constant traffic gets old. The lines at every cash register get old.

And some days I think, what must it be like to pull into the drive way at night, to fix dinner and look through the kitchen window at the clouds roll in over the cornfields? To wake up in the morning without the subtle roar of city traffic and the neighbors taking their dogs outside?

Sometimes I think all I want in life is a little farmhouse in the country with a front porch, old crystal door knobs, and a little barn in the backyard. A house full of history. A house with a kitchen overlooking the tomatoes and sunflowers, and a little round table in the corner. A house with big trees with branches near the windows, that turn bright orange and yellow and red in the fall. A house that is small, but has plenty of room for all my books and a baby or two.

Yes, I think that would be perfect.











16 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie I am kinda disapointed that there isnt a Amish horse and buggy in any of these ;) I depend on you... and Breaking Amish for my Amish fix :) (Kidddding... kinda)

    On a serious note I hate you for having color changing trees and a real fall... this weekend I went to the pool! WAHHH.

    K love you bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love the country! I grew up out in the country (not so far out that you had to drive 30 minutes to anything though!) but live in the suburbs now. I'm thinking our next house needs to be just a tad bit further out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGOSH, it looks like fall! So envious.

    Whatever, I'll just bask in my 85-degree Texas weather of October... (wah wah...).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a country girl, but I can tolerate it in small doses. Especially if those doses include that pickup truck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are gorgeous!

    I am the same way. I live in a suburban town with a nice mixture of city/country feel to it. But, there are a lot of times I crave the city.. and the country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In high school, I wanted to go to NYC for college and be a big city girl. Now, I visit NYC and have panic attacks.

    I'm meant to be in the country, that's for sure. And where I live is definitely rural, but a ten minute drive West and there is every restaurant, store, etc. you can imagine. I'm just far enough away from the hustle and bustle :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to this post. I live in London but was born and raised in Yorkshire which is known for its sprawling fields. Over the years I have lived in various cities and "countrysides" and I find it so hard to decide which I prefer, I get different things from both. For now I am happy in the city but I think as I get older I will become more inclined to move back to the country. I love your pictures, I got a bit happy snappy taking pictures of trees and their changing leaves at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. TBS and I are itching to move... SOON. He's anxious to have seasons again, and we both know we're not city people. (Unless we're talking about NYC. In that case, I love the city, but I still couldn't live there long-term.) Jealous of your beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you-- I went to college in a big(ger) city and I loved the ease of having everything I could ever want essentially within arms reach-- but there's something comforting about being a little bit isolated. Plus big, bustling cities make me want to throw up because I can never NOT look like a tourist because 99% of the time I have no idea what I am doing. Love those pictures, too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't know what to do with myself and all of those trees! The views would make country life worth it. Even if I had to drive 50 miles to target instead of living in the middle of a target triangle. Justin is a rural east coaster and is itching to get out of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how beautiful!! Looks like Oregon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty excited for you that you have both - your young, high-energy city life, and your folks' more timeless country existence. You can surround yourself with convenience and activity, but still have a place to escape to for gorgeous peace, and leave as soon as it gets boring - That's literally the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!

    We live in a small town that has all the "charm" of the country, but we are only 20 minutes away from the "city." I feel like I need to use all these terms loosely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the same exact way! I'm definitely a city girl, but once and a while the country feels like it's growing on me a little (I used to be 100 percent opposed to living in the country). I feel like the problem is that the city and country have two completely different beauties! It's so hard to choose one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear ya! I was a city girl all my life, and then I met a country boy from Wisconsin and everything changed! Like you, I had grown tired of the city clutter. I really had no idea what else to do though. Now, we're saving money so we can buy his childhood home and 200 acres from his parents! Cherish that midwest fall!!! Here in Idaho, it's just not the same!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man! I wish we got these colors in California! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.