12.27.2012

a twinge of melancholy


I feel a little sad today. It's nothing big, just the post Christmas blues. I expected them to punch me squarely in the face yesterday, but they didn't. We had a huge blizzard hit yesterday, and that excitement got me through the day, especially when we got to leave work three hours early.

The storm is long gone now, and we have an extra thick quilt of snow. Christmas is gone, and we have a tree no longer hiding presents. 2012 is almost gone, and I'm dreading the thought of boxing up my decorations for another 10 months. It's always a little sad when there's no longer anything written in stone to look forward to. There was the trip to California, then a gorgeous Midwestern fall, then Christmas time. There aren't any more vacations booked or exciting plans to look forward to. Nothing to tell myself just make it this far.

But there's still the hope of starting the house hunting process soon, and the possibility of finding a better job in the future. And if one or both of those happen to work out, well then that's better than any vacation.

11 comments:

  1. ohhh house hunting! That is something to look forward to!!!
    Sorry your all melancholy but at least you get to look at the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOTH of those things are going to happen :)

    Oh, and hanging out with me. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling pretty much the same way right now! I'd love it if I knew for sure what we'd have going on next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. This is the hardest time of year. Hopefully the next few months will speed by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. House hunting!!! New job!!! Soon. :)

    I know what you mean about not really knowing what to look forward to next, though. We had planned on taking a real vacation this fall and it never happened - so who knows when we'll have time/money to go on one. We also need to go see my family, but again... $$$ so who knows when (it's been almost 2 years. TWO YEARS!).

    Isaiah's excited about putting new floors in our house. Which is cool, but not exactly the highlight of my year. (Again...$$$$$$$$$)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should look forward to resignation day. In fact, you should prepare your resignation letter, several different drafts even. That way, when the day comes, you can look through ll of them, pick the right one, and then have that certain sense of satisfaction from telling everyone you're leaving.

    PFF will be devastated that she can't copy your fashion sense anymore, and that she won't be able to drive you bat-shit crazy by rearranging your desk daily. Everyone will pretend that they're going to miss you.

    I threw myself a party with champagne the last time I resigned from a job. We went through 6 bottles of champagne, plus a box and a half of wine. It was a very fun night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new job! And a house! With so many extra bedrooms so we can all come visit.

    While it's nice to have a blank calendar its also a little sad. What will we do with all this time?!? (I'm going to watch Downton Abbey.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you need a good cry. Go see Les Miserables, get it all out, then embrace the upcoming spring season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That snow looks amazing! I'm dying for a full on. White Christmas! I know what you mean about not having anything to look forward to, I'm going back to LA in february to see my boyfriend and that is the only thing that is keeping me going, hate the post Christmas blues!

    Have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about Resolutions today.. They all involve vacations. most of which won't happen, but it's sure making today better.

    and a new job.
    and a new job.
    and a new job.

    How I didn't walk out today, I'll never ever, know.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.