12.21.2012

just call me buddy the elf

My dear sweet friend Angi tagged me on another Christmas post, so here we are. Talking about Christmas again! If Santa's workshop was a real place, I'd work there. And live there. And celebrate Christmas everyday.



1. Describe Christmas morning at your house when you were a child.
Pretty perfect. Honestly, it was. I have the BEST memories of Christmas growing up, and I know I'm very fortunate to have those. More often than not, we had a White Christmas. I would wake up in the morning to my dad ringing sleigh bells and yelling "Ho! Ho! Ho!" My mom and I would wait at the top of the stairs until he had everything ready. I told him he could NOT let me downstairs until there was a fire in the fireplace, Christmas music playing, a mug full of warm eggnog waiting for me, and all the Christmas lights on. Then, we would run down the stairs to our stockings. We opened gifts and had cinnamon rolls for breakfast. The rest of the day was spent playing with gifts and watching Christmas movies. When we lived in Nevada, my aunt, uncle, and cousins would come over for Christmas dinner.


2. What's your most memorable Christmas gift?


I've had a lot of awesome gifts, but one that really sticks out to me is getting my Macbook Pro in 2010. My parents gave me a Dell laptop when I graduated from high school, but after 3 1/2 years it was extremely sluggish and having a ton of issues, and since I was an English major I had tons of papers to write and research to do. I asked for a Macbook all year long, and was adamantly told NO all year long. I knew it would never happen, but I kept asking and hoping. We opened all our presents Christmas morning, and no Macbook. I wasn't really that disappointed because I knew it wouldn't happen.

But then my dad pulled another present out of the closet and handed it to me. And it was a Macbook Pro. And I screamed my head off for a solid hour. I looked everywhere for the picture of me opening it, but I can't find it. Picture me with bedhead and screaming at the top of my lungs. It's hilarious. And it's been the best little computer ever!
3. Did you believe in Santa as a child? Are you (or do you plan on) using Santa with your own children? 

Christmas tree cutting...1999?

 I answered this question here, but suffice it to say, yes I believed in Santa and no I probably won't do Santa with my kids. But who knows.
4. What's your favorite holiday treat? Include a recipe if you'd like. :)


Oh gosh. This is hard! I always look forward to our Christmas morning cinnamon rolls. I love eggnog. I love Christmas cookies. And I love the packages my grandma used to send every year full of homemade cookies and Danish cookies. I still need to figure out what to bake this year!

5. How will you spend Christmas day this year? 


With my parents and James. We're driving up there as soon as we get off work Christmas Eve (ugh. I know), and then we'll eat our traditional Christmas Eve meal of chili & cornbread, and hopefully have our annual Scrabble tournament. 



In other news.  It's the first day of winter! It's snowing! I found donuts in the break room! The world didn't end! 4 days till Christmas! It's Friday!

Yay! 

So tell me...what Christmas treats should I bake? I'm thinking sugar cookies and snickerdoodles, since both have been requested. What else?? I'm thinking something with a healthy dose of chocolate...

15 comments:

  1. So, what you're saying is that you grew up living in the best Christmas movie EVER.

    Consider me extremely jealous of your Macbook Pro AND your KitchenAid Stand Mixer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww i'm moving in with your fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my MacBook Pro as a gift to myself for going back to school and being successful at it for a year I bought myself my iPad because Andy wouldn't share. Those are the two best gifts I've ever given myself. The best gift from another person would be the KitchenAid mixer Andy bought me last year. I love that thing. Hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well your Christmas morning just sounds like the most perfect thing ever. I think you should invite of us over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait...warm eggnog? Is that good? Mine has always been straight from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWWWE!
    What great memories!!!!
    You were such a stinkin cute kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the most adorable childhood pictures and memories! BEST FAM EVER. I also am SUPER envious of that pretty yellow mixer.. we have one but it's just a boring grey color! Also, I think someone gave you a nice little cookbook where I'm SURE you could find a few great ideas for some chocolate treats that are as sweet as you!!! TGI FRIDAY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you make your own cinnamon rolls? If yes, please send some my way. K, thanks bye!

    Also, FRIDAY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WARM eggnog??? I have never had it warm...are you supposed to drink it warm!? Thanks a lot, now I'm questioning my entire childhood...haha!

    I am in love with your yellow KitchenAid. I have a stainless steel one but as soon as that one dies (which, who knows when THAT will be, I've had this one for like 6 years and it's still going strong) I'm totally getting a brightly colored one.

    As for what you should bake...you should make those cookies I posted on Instagram last night. Sugar cookies, half of them smeared with melted chocolate chips and sprinkled with crushed candy canes, freeze them for 5-10 minutes until the chocolate's hard...so good. And it's your sugar cookies + chocolate, so it's win-win. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gross. I don't bake.

    girl, listen that last minute gift being pulled out of the closet by your dad.. stole my heart. stole it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really are a Christmas elf. You are.

    I always have to make a HUGE batch of Rice Krispy treats at Christmas. This year it involved 3 sticks of butter, 3 jumbo sized bags of marshmallows, and a lot of cereal. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've made no bake cookies twice this week.
    a chocolate peanut butter version that was bar-style in a cake pan....and tonight a nutella version that was dished out by a cookie scooper. lol. :D my favorite was the addicting choc/pb kind. with a glass of milk.
    nutella, i prefer on a banana with pb.

    i love snicker doodles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh. the recipes. lol.
    choco/pb: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2012/08/10/no-bake-oatmeal-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-bars/

    nutella: http://www.thevintagemixer.com/2012/08/nutella-no-bake-cookie-recipe/

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas sweet girl...loved reading about these! Your pictures always bring me back, cause i'm pretty sure I have some identical ones, haha! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, love your mixer. Is it yellow or green? We got the chartreuse green mixer for our wedding. I love it. Just the right pop in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.