12.17.2012

the blues



You certainly can't tell from the pictures, but I had the blues this weekend. Call it PMS, call it a bad mood, call it what you will. I think it started on Friday with the school shooting in Connecticut. It just plain broke my heart. I felt awful even having fun or being happy knowing that so many lives were ruined. It didn't feel fair. It still doesn't. James and I went to see the lights at the Columbus Zoo on Saturday, and as fun as it was, it was hard to enjoy the Christmas cheer when so many people are grieving. But we made the best of it and had lots of fun despite screaming children and freakishly warm December temperatures. It's never quite the same when there isn't snow on the ground, but oh well. The Zoo has the most amazing light display, and it will cheer anyone up.

But the blues persisted on. Here's the thing about the blues: it's a jerk. You have to stand up to it and fight it with all your strength. On Sunday, I finally did. I sipped on my winter spice coffee, watched White Christmas, and wrapped presents. I threw some sweet potato chili in the crockpot, some cornbread in the oven, and I finally snagged the gingerbread coffee and gingerbread cookies from Trader Joe's that I've had my eye on the past month. I curled up with James, our dinner, and watched a movie while Noel guarded our presents. Exactly what I needed.

And now it's Monday, and it's been a rough morning. But job applications have been sent out, and Christmas Eve is a week away. So game on!

13 comments:

  1. A week (ish) to go...
    Hearts are heavy around the world x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I hear you. It wasn't til Saturday night that I even let myself do anything fun. This whole situation is so depressing, I haven't even felt motivated enough to post much on Twitter or even look at my blogroll. Life going on just isn't as simple this time around. My state, my cousin's town, it hit so close to home,and it is hard to feel blessed for not knowing anyone involved when you know there are so many that did.

    I hope you find some Christmas cheer soon. I can't believe Christmas is so close :-o

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone, I think everyone had the blues this weekend... and rightly so. Luckily, though, you have a cute little kitten coozy to keep you smiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Christmas really a week away?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I'm trying to outdo your blues, but I think I cried half the weekend. For no good reason at all. Poor Justin.

    You know what made it better though? Coming home to a gift in the mail. And then reading poems outloud. And then watching jmeoww get high.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has certainly been the weirdest December in recent history...one day I'm just chock full of Christmas cheer, and the next day I'm just wishing it would be over! I'm hoping as the week goes on it'll be more cheer and less wishing for a new year.

    Your tree is awesome though, and your kitty is cute. Ooh I forgot to show Duma her picture...dang. Tonight!

    How are you liking that candle!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I still can't find Christmas I can't. I wouldn't say blues. I just don't know. I don't know. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe Tiff one upped your blues post. Low blow. Low blow.

    I spy with my little eye - a marshmallow fireside candle!

    Get it gurrrrlllll...

    I can't believe I just said that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get in a funk sometimes too. There's no reason for it, it just happens. Is that candle yummy? I kind of think it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry girl, but it's good to go through the emotions sometimes...i hope you are feeling brighter this weekend, love to you.

    xo cute pics btw

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet potato chili? Recipe. Now.

    I've had the blues for about a week. I think it was my lack of Christmas cheer combined with the tragedy in CT. Now that I have a Christmas tree though, I feel a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your hubby are so precious.
    I'm sorry you had the blues this past weekend. I hope this week turns things around for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Job applications are nerve-wracking, but so soothing to the soul. And this weekend sucked. End of story.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.