2.28.2013

bears. beets. battlestar galactica.

my instagram wall at work. I'm so trendy it hurts.
I'm not a career girl; I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder. I've always been this way. My ambitions just lie elsewhere, and I see myself as more of a 50s housewife. I get more satisfaction from the thought of taking care of future babies and cooking and cleaning than I've ever gotten from working a desk job. What can I say, I'm an old soul. However, if you give me a book deal, I have a sneaking suspicion my thoughts on the matter may change.

The fact is, I have to work right now in this stage of life, and I'm fine with that. My goal is merely to have a job that doesn't make me miserable, and if it uses any of my minimal amount of skills? Then bonus. And thankfully, my new job has been just that. It's exactly what I need right now. I sit at my desk, in my own little world, and work. The hours are flexible, and I'm a little frightened at how much I enjoy being clocked in by 7:45 and leaving at 4:15. It's pretty awesome, and I imagine it's saving me money in therapy bills since I will not have rush hour traffic related anger management issues any more.

The law firm is not your typical law firm. When I hear law firm, I typically think stiff J Crew models in their stiff black suits holding folders and desks and frowns and yawn. But here we can wear jeans everyday, people joke around, the office is modern and trendy, and the art on the walls looks like it came straight from homestarrunner.com. Here's an example. This one isn't as homestarrunner-ish, but you get the gist. There's an internet meme on the walls!



The girl who sits next to me looks and sounds exactly like Janeane Garofalo. She's nice, she's funny, and she quotes Office Space all the time. Oh, and she laughs at my jokes! What more could I ask for in a neighbor? Speaking of neighbors, my desk is right outside a lawyer's office. A young male lawyer who makes all his phone calls on speaker phone and doesn't use his inside voice. With anyone else I would be annoyed, but he's entertaining, specifically when he answers his phone saying "WHAT UP, DAWG!" Plus, all the lady lawyers like to come flirt with him and say things like "Well, it doesn't matter, because I'm all good looks anyway." And then I bury my face in my cardigan and giggle hysterically.

So I'm happy. It's not ideal, but it's perfect for now, and I can see myself here for awhile. But it's only week four, so don't quote me on that.


Oh! And it's been three weeks since I've screamed at my own reflection in the bathroom mirror. We're making progress.



19 comments:

  1. You do sound happy! I'm glad you found somewhere that works for you. I hear you on the 50s housewife thing... now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, I don't ever want to work again. Then again, I plan on being a writer too... but that's not REALLY a job, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing this!!!! Our offices are so similar (minus the ability to dress down everday-- SO JEALLLLLL) but I wish I was your cubicle neighbor! I can tell you're much happier than you were five or six weeks ago, and that makes me happy! I hope whatever job you 'end up' at, whether it be the law firm, your house!, or some writing studio somehwere (where do people write books from? Starbucks? The library?) you can always find time to send me lunchtime selfies. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, do you just save your instagram photos to your computer and print them from there, or do you do it a better way? I once tried to print my instagram photos using snap fish.... it was a big fat fail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of you. Because we have so many of the same thoughts, viewpoints, and opinions on all of this. And where we want to go, and what we really want to do. I would take a book deal in a heartbeat too. Sit at home in my jammies and write with Beckham? Heck yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sooo glad you are happy. And I'm so with you on the whole not interested in climbing the corporate ladder. Especially in a construction company. haha but seriously. As soon as the babies start popping out (heaven help me when they do) I don't want to work. And I am happy at my job. Have been for two years. I hope this job stays excellent for you. And secretly I hope you scream at your reflection soon. just cause that's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that we are so simular freaks me out a little. I have the exact same thoughts as you when it comes to my career.. I kinda wish we had both been born in the 50s and lived next to each other.
    That would be so cool.. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've worked at two different law offices. One was awful (my boss was diagnosed bipolar, fun!) and the second sounds a lot like your office. Law can be fun, you learn a lot. I'm so glad (and jealous) you like your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy you're so happy at your new job!!! Isn't getting to wear jeans every day the BEST!? That's one of my favorite parts about my job...even if I don't wear jeans every day, just the fact that I *CAN* is awesome. And getting to decorate your own space is amazing!

    That wall art...what IS THAT!?!!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the best environment (for me, at least)! I love it when people know how to balance getting work done and letting loose a bit. My office is the same way, and it does wonders for work-life balance. I'm so happy that the new job is working out incredibly well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lawyers are so crazy sometimes. I blame their three year break from reality (also known as law school) for the phenomenon.

    And can I just leave you comments that are Office quotes? Hope that's okay. Here's one - I'm one step ahead... like a carpenter... who builds stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love happy Michelle! I am glad it is going well and that you haven't scared yourself. Also, I would die to wear jeans to work every day.

    I think I am a career girl. I think. Since I'm changing my mind on that whole children thing and it wouldn't make sense to stay home and take care of jmeoww, although she does require extra care...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like you and I are of one spirit. About four month ago I started a job I like after being in a job I HATED! Also, like you, my dream job is to be home raising the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great to hear you sound so happy in your job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im so glad that you are enjoying your new job. Will you ever do a post of funny things the other lawyers say, like when the ladies flirt with him or things he says on the phone??

    ReplyDelete
  15. So what your telling me is that you have made the move from a bad episode of The Office to a Chick Flick in progress. Sounds like office blog material didnt crawl in a hole and die. DAY MADE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first sentence in this post is another reason why I love you so much. I feel the exact same way, and I'm glad someone is on my level. I told Chris the other day that I refuse to work more than part time (if that!) when (if) we have kids. Watching my nephew run to my mom instead of my broher or sister-in-law makes me sad. I'm not having kids so someone else can raise them - not even my mother!

    WITH THAT SAID...

    I want to come work in your office - it sounds great! And I love that you can wear jeans. And that there is a Janeane Garofalo twin. And that all of the lady lawyers are swooning over that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds absolutely perfect! hire me too! :) Glad you are loving it deary. and LOVE the homestarrunner stuff... oh man. I need to go watch those videos now. See ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely making progress! I like the sound of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the best lines from The Office. Oh Dwight, I love you.
    Your Instagram wall? Get out of here. So cute.
    3 weeks and counting! yay!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.