3.27.2013

Look, you guys. I've started several blog posts this week, and I haven't been able to finish any of them. Call it writer's block, call it not enough coffee (ding! ding! ding! right answer), but I haven't had enough inspiration motivation to finish anything.

So, let's see. What's going on with me, you ask? Well I'll tell you. It has been frigid and snowing every single day lately. In spring! People are furious and throwing hissy fits (which is kind of annoying because hello, it's going to be summer again. It WILL warm up. It always does. Just calm the heck down), but I really don't care that much. I love snow and I love bundling up. But even though I've never really had the winter blues, I think the weather is starting to get to me. I've been in hermit mode for awhile and in a bit of a funk. I think warmer weather and the ability to actually RIDE MY BIKE would help tremendously.

Because I live under a rock, I just started using the podcast app. All I do at work now is listen to podcasts. Currently I've been listening to health & nutrition stuff and sermons. I'm digging it. I don't know why I haven't done this before! I love to listen to music at work, but I quickly get sick of my music, and now I be learnin' stuff. However, prepping court documents while listening to a podcast can get confusing and distracting. Don't ask me how I know this. I'll lie.

I have a whole post in the works hashing out my thoughts on diets and food and nutrition in general. It's a little known fact that I'm a nutrition nerd and have been researching it for years. With that said, I've been vegetarian for nearly 4 months, and I've been starting to go vegan-ish (R.I.P. CHEESE). It's not because I'm an animal rights activist or anything like that or that I think eating animal products will kill you, it's just purely to eat healthier (though you can be vegan and still eat badly). I'll never be the person who says they won't eat dairy or meat again (because it's bound to happen), but it's been a fun little challenge for myself, even if it doesn't stick too long. And it's also left me feeling like this some days:


I finished The Hiding Place, and it was honestly the most powerful books I've ever read. It will stick with me forever. It's the only book that has made me sob under the covers. How that woman can go through hell and come out still loving and trusting Jesus blows my mind. But the ending! Oh it's so good. And now I'm reading another Holocaust book, this one in fact. Three chapters in and I'm hooked again. This woman moved to the US when she got out of the concentration camp, and she told NO ONE that she was in one. Not even her husband. A few years before she died, she finally told him about her experience and gave him the journal entries she wrote in the camps, and told him not to publish anything until after her death. Read these books, people!

So that's my life lately. I'm going through cheese withdrawals and hunkering down in bed at night with a stack of Holocaust books (and I wondered why I'm in a funk?!). But tonight I'm getting jazzy and sipping on some strawberry apple juice. Which brings me to my next point: I can sink a paycheck in Whole Foods so much faster than I could in Target. It's a fact.

What's going on with you?

23 comments:

  1. I was so glad to see you appear in my feed (or whatever the heck it's called) this morning! Good for you going vegan! The closest I think I will ever get to that is "meatless Monday" dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of listening to podcasts. I've never actually listened to one. maybe I'll give it a go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "LAY OFF ME I'M STARVING!!" HOLY COW my best friend and I say that ALL THE TIME. I can't.

    How can you live without cheese?? HOW?! I commend you. Seriously.

    Also, Podcasts are my FAVE!!!! I usually listen to comedy ones and occasionally Alec Baldwin's because he interviews cool people. But YES to someone else finally coming around to them! I have a lot of them to suggest if you're looking for any new ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love that Chris Farley bit. I have been trying to eat better and it was going well, then not so well in NYC, and now I feel like I'm starving all the time! Ugh. Health, why's it gotta be so important??

    I love listening to podcasts, but like with your law documents, I definitely find them distracting if my brain is supposed to be processing things. We usually listen to them while driving or sometimes before bed.

    Also, I'm just saying...Amy's makes a vegan (and gluten free) mac & cheese. It's actually pretty good...just you know, in case you have a craving and don't want to break a strong veganist streak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt so good when I was doing no gluten and no dairy, but I'm just so lazy lately from being so busy that I've fallen behind on my good eating habits. It also doesn't help when people keep sending me massive amounts of candy in the mail. Is vegetarian hard? I can't imagine no cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of those annoying people that has been throwing a fit over the weather. Haha...I was sick of it around the middle of February and seriously can't handle it anymore. I'm pretty sure I suffer from a very mild case of seasonal affective disorder most years, and have felt literally numb and depressed for the past couple of weeks. I honestly can't wait until this weekend when it's going to reach 50 degrees! Talk about a heat wave!

    Also, The Hiding Place is on of my favorite books ever. Such a powerful read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a nutrition expert by any means, honestly I didn't care much about nutrition until more recently. I would suggest reading Nina Planck's book Real Food. I have yet to read Real Food, but I read her second book which was geared specifically towards women who are trying to get pregnant, are pregnant or are nursing. Since I've struggled with Gestational Diabetes with both of my pregnancies a lot of what she has to say has been really helpful. I feel she's extremely knowledgeable on the subject of nutrition and she's done it all as far as doing low carb or low fat, being vegan or being vegetarian. Just a thought.

    I'm glad you liked The Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom has such an incredible life story. I think I'm going to have to check out that book you're reading now. I'm always looking for a good book to read, even though I hardly have the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read somewhere that there were people blaming the snow on the groundhog. It was all his fault because he lied to everybody. HAHA.

    My grandparents are vegans to be healthier, but they still eat meat and dairy occasionally. Actually, Nick and I don't eat meat too often because we want to be healthier and we definitely don't drink milk. Almond milk is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers to you for going veg! It's not about rules. It's just about doing the best we can for ourselves and doing what fits our lifestyles, needs, and values.

    And to be fair, animal rights activists aren't bad people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your "non-post" actually works very well because it's so true and honest about what's going on with you.

    What's going on with me you ask?

    Oh you know, just growing a human in my belly. No big deal. 16 days and counting until my due date!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to know some of your tips re nutrition!! I feel you are a source of knowledge I haven't tapped into yet!!!
    Prepare for the emails!

    Don't get me started on the weather. Although I love this city sometimes I feel there is no place on earth more grey than here. YUCK.

    ANd I just downloaded that book to start once I finish the two I am on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheers to being vegan, even if temporarily! ;)

    I must live under an even bigger rock...I had no idea there WAS a podcast app. Go me...

    I definitely need to check out that other book you mentioned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't understand why people freaked on the "first day of spring" and it was cold and snowy. Hello, it's not like the Earth automatically changes itself on THAT DAY. Like geez...

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband loves podcasts. He only listens to dumb boy humor ones though, nothing he can learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RIP CHEESE. I could never. Go, you! I need to get back on the healthy train. I am having a reallllllly hard time since vacation.

    I am going to vegas tomorrow. I am scared.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh also, anytime I have a hunger fit Justin says I remind him of that Chris Farley skit. So sweet, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm making a very cheesy quesadilla as I am reading this. I'll throw a little extra on for you.
    the kraken is really taking it's toll this month.
    blaaaaaaahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you read Sarah's Key? If you haven't, I think you'd like it.

    RIP Cheese?! You are a stronger woman than I.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was vegan for a while, and for many of the same reasons. I have some good recipes for you. They will blow your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm doing Whole 30 again in a few weeks, so goodbye dairy/grains/alcohol again. but it's so amazing how much better I feel.

    and oh man, I haven't read The Hiding Place since high school. I think we read it 3x's through middle school & high school. Always terrible & wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANK YOU...someone else is sick of the "where's the heat?" comments that people can't stop saying. It's driving me nuts! Just be happy that you GET a winter people. California's version of winter is a week of rain and 60 degree weather. I'm a little bitter about it, but whatevs. So just ZIP IT.



    See, I try to incorporate more vegetarian dishes into our weekly meals, but then I drive by Chipotle and it's all over.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.