3.15.2013

march 15 aka the ides of march aka the day I was birthed

Just resting for a few before I hitch the oxen to my covered wagon.


I made it, you guys! I made it to year 24. I would like to thank my mother, my father, and coffee for keeping me alive this long.

I feel like I know myself so much better than I did last year. For instance:

+ I am a very indecisive person. Yes, it took me 24 years to decide I'm indecisive. See?

+ I am a hermit and I am no longer ashamed of that. I just want to burrow under some blankets with a book. Most nights, I don't want to go out on the town. I need that time to recharge after a long day at work, and that is ok.

+ Just like Tiff, I still can't distinguish between left and right. At this point I've just given up.

+ I feel most alive and happy when I am playing the piano, writing something I'm really excited about, or traveling.

+ My coffee addiction is going to stay with me until death. When you put me in my casket, you will have to ply the mug away from my cold, dead fingers.

+ I am so much more confident in who I am. I still kind of feel like a freak most of the time, but I can embrace it now. I can embrace my awkwardness and putting my foot in my mouth and my shyness so much better now. It's part of who I am, and if nothing else, it usually results in a ridiculous story.

+ At the risk of sounding like a cheesy self help book, when my friends don't invite me places, it's not a reflection on me. I am no less awesome. When someone ditches me for someone else, it doesn't take away from my value, and I am no less awesome. That's been a hard lesson to learn.

+ No matter where I'm working or who I'm working with, I will still have the world's most awkward dreams about my coworkers, and I will not be able to look them in the eye for several days after.

+ I still don't know what my favorite color is. Some days it's purple. Some days it's turquoise. Occasionally it's green.

+ If you make me laugh, I will love you forever.

+ And last but not least: cheese makes my world go 'round. I've known that for longer than a year, but it needs to be repeated.

Amen.

Thanks to all of you who joined in the google hangout last night. It was crazy. And so fun to actually talk and laugh with you guys. And now I have to endure a day at work so I can celebrate with my family tonight.


*cue balloons*

32 comments:

  1. Being able to distinguish between right and left is highly overrated. My brother and husband always make fun of me when I'm trying to give directions for where they should drive, but I say, whatever.
    Happy, happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday!! this might be the best baby picture ever, hope you have a great one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of you as a baby has put the biggest grin on my face.
    It is so cute, and I have never seen such a young tod look so much like you now..

    p.s that is totally a compliment by the way!

    Oh and I wouldn't worry about the left/right thing.. I am SHIT at telling the time on a watch with no numbers. EMbarassing huh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday chica, wishing you a beautiful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHELL D BELL

    You are my favorite girl in the galaxy.

    SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I squealed at that picture. Baby Michelle is my favorite baby. I can't even TAKE IT.

    LOVE YOU! HAPPY 24!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!! And just like you, I have also given up on left and right haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happiest of birthdays. I think our inner hermits brought us together as friends. And allowed is to open up about such things about fish tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baby Michelle! SO CUTE.

    Nothing wrong with being a hermit, and embracing your "freakishness" is something that comes with age, I think. Just as long as you can laugh at yourself and not take anything too seriously, you're all set!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad we could celebrate last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best days of the year!! :) Happy Birthday to the smartest, funniest, randomest (it's a word), best friend a gal could ask for!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to my favorite Ohio blogger! Today is going to be a good day for you... I can feel it! If only because you are going to be eating delicious french food before you know it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word, you crack me up!

    I still don't kn ow my left and right. When we are driving some where and my husband has to give me directions he will say things like "make a Katie turn, or make a Dean turn"

    My favorite color changes monthly

    If a recipe doesn't have cheese listed in the ingredients, then I assume it's not yummy.
    Also, I want my cheese sharp! I should cut my tongue on that cheese!

    Happy Birthday, lady! May your work day be full of isolation and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh. that's your face on a baby body. that is SO CUTE!
    happy birthday my dear friend.
    and when you die, I'm going to make sure NOBODY takes your mug out of your cold, dead hands.

    I had so much fun last night. you gals are awesome.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a happy hermit weekend celebrating your birthday, my love! ;) You are simply wonderful, and I'm so happy I can call you a friend! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummm yes. I love your caption to your photo.

    Happy birthday!!! :D Have an awesome day. I am so so sorry I missed the hangout last night but I promise to be at the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! Your baby picture is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and that this coming year is filled with many blessings!

    Make sure to drink lots of coffee and eat lots of unhealthy food today, because it is your birthday after all!

    P.S. I'm pretty sure I had the same bonnet as a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday!!! That picture of your of so stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad I'm not the only one with left and right problems. I'll point to the right and say left. My hand pointing is right, but the word that comes out of my mouth is wrong about 50% of the time. Happy 24th! 24 is a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the cutest baby (24 year old) in the world.

    Love you lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yaaaay! Happy birthday! I hope you have an awesome day! Please eat lots of cake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy happy birthday! I am so excited that I can tell my husband that I'm not the only 20-something unable to distinguish left from right (he thinks I'm a freak) and favorite colors are overrated. Someone once told me that his was "sequins," so I may start using that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy year 24! I, like you, am much happier staying home than going out. It's nice to know who you are. I'm 35 and I still don't feel like I know what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michelle, my love. Happiest birthday wishes to you.

    I loved meeting you in the google chat flesh, and it was hilarious absolutely hilarious to see how many times you would pop in and out of view, two times? three times? you had skill.

    you my dear matter greatly, oh how I would love to take you to dinner for your birthday. alas, one day? one day, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were/are so freakin adorabaubles. For realsies, those blue eys are killin' me here.

    I had a dream that my elderly coworker, a dowdy bemustashed geologist no less, had kidnapped me because he was in a secret society. He tricked me into getting a ride with him and I ended up having to escape from this cheap shitty office space where his society rented their based of operations. Even my dreams are budget. I couldn't look at him or be alone with him for 2 weeks...Led to some interesting office dynamics, I tell you what.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my word. That is such a cute picture! Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you were born. Your blog makes me happy and you as a baby looks exactly like you add a note. Except shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm also a hermit; most times I'd rather sit in my couch and talk to my fellow hermit internet friends.

    Happy birthday to YOU!! I hope you had an awesome day :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday, fellow hermit!

    I'm such a hermit, it's almost a problem. But i've started to embrace it recently. By embrace it, i mean combine it with my other new found activity - sloth.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday!!

    I don't have a favorite color either. Actually, I do, but it changes each year. I usually like a color and then get a little sick of it and move on to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Knowing left from right no longer defines as less, it defines us as normal (allegedly). I love you and your 24 year old wisdom, which is much more wise than I was at 24. You are my fave.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.