5.28.2013

the memorial day weekend that wasn't



I could totally bemoan the fact that I woke up on Saturday morning, day 1 of the long-awaited 3-day weekend, totally and completely overtaken by a nasty cold. I had gone to sleep Friday night happy and healthy, and woke up feeling like I had been hit by the Mac truck of death, the fangs of the common cold deep inside me.

But I'm not going to. Because even though my Memorial Day partying consisted of shots of Nyquil and frequent naps, it was really nice to not do one single thing. I didn't get around to the deep clean and bike rides and runs I had planned, but you can't feel guilty when you're sick. Plus, at the risk of sounding like a conformist (I've been meaning to read it for years, I swear), I finally grabbed my high school copy of The Great Gatsby off my bookshelf to reread. I hated it in high school, but I have a sneaking suspicion I will like it much more if I read it by choice. And so far I'm right. I can't get over the incredible writing, but then again it's much easier to focus on when my English teacher isn't hitting me over the head with the threat of an F if I don't find a hidden meaning in the color of the sky. So phase 1 of the rereading-classic-literature-I-hated-because-it-was-forced-on-me-initiative is complete. But I will not be rereading Shakespeare, because I will hate him until the day I die. But that's a story for another day.

I had every intention of going to work today, but when my alarm went off this morning I could instantly tell my head was still swimming in the fog of death, not to mention the room was a little spinny when I tried to sit up. Plus, HR gave us all an extra 8 hours of PTO last week, so why not use it? I'd much rather feel miserable while rewatching The Giant Mechanical Man, especially if I get paid either way.

Jenna Fischer's character just said "I'm selling little plastic gorillas filled with grape juice. It's just temporary until I figure out my life."

Have I mentioned how much I love this movie? It speaks to the depths of my soul in a way Shakespeare never will.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go blow my nose and make some tea.

17 comments:

  1. That's so true. Reading in high school was like punishment but to re-read them by choice is a totally different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SICK DAY! MY GIRL! I am jealous that you are home and watching that amazing movie, but I am bummed that you were sidelined all weekend due to some whack illness! I was going to say, you were veryyyYYyyyY quiet over the weekend. I was worried.

    I constantly look at all of the books on my shelf from college that I was forced to read and wonder if I would like them without the stress of HAVING TO OR ELSE YOU'LL FLUNK OUT OF LIFE. My answer is usually "probably, but I'm going to go watch this episode of Parks and Rec for the 300th time instead".

    I hope you are starting to feel better! Enjoy your PTO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did spend my weekend cleaning. And watching Andy in the yard. It seems like this nasty spring cold is going around, I know about five people with it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better friend! But woooo hoo for PTO time for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read The Great Gatsby! For the first time...don't judge me. Or judge me. I'm judging me.

    I hope you feel better soon...summer colds are no bueno.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo being sick! YAY watching great movies!!
    Feel BETTTTER

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wanted to watch that on Netflix last night, but my sister wasn't into it and we have to watch what she wants to watch, obviously. *insert eye roll here*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did Shakespeare touch you? He seems to have given high-school Michelle some Bad Touch.

    Get well soon, sicko! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously need to watch that movie. I'm trying to convince my husband to stray from his action movies, but he has a thing against those "Sundance hippie movies" :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I barely remember the Great Gatsby. I loved a lot of the books I read in high school...but I have no love for Shakespeare either. I love reading books from genuinely excellent word-crafters--whose sentences are enough to get me all excited, just because of how cleverly they are formed. And Shakespeare never really did that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that you feel better! Good for you for trying to reread the "classics." Will you read Animal Farm for me and tell me if its any good. I remember HATING it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you were sick! I worked all weekend (actually I just worked the last 8 days straight) so today was my "holiday". I kept my HS copy of the GG up until a few years ago, I don't remember much of the plot except that there were a lot of parties. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I tell you a secret (well, and all of your stalker-readers who go through the comments)? I love being sick, because it's the only time I allow myself to be super-lazy and not feel any shame about it. Milk it, girl. Milk it.

    I am with you in disliking Shakespeare. It's just too much work to figure out what he's trying to get at.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so agree with you - I enjoy books so much more when I am not being forced to read them. And honestly, not everything in a freakin book has a hidden meaning or commentary on society lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. well I hope you're feeling better now! that totally sucks... and yeah, I'll probably never re-read Shakespeare either. But Great Gatsby was awesome to re-read. (even if Baz's movie fell a little flat... oh well)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.