7.22.2013

lately


Last week was a rough week for me. The highlight was when I got to give my coworkers a lesson on the correct use of semicolons. But overall it was a lonely, hard week. That coupled with the fact that the heat index was well over 100 degrees means I've been hiding in my bed with my stack of library books. The library and I are in a serious, committed relationship. On Saturday I read an entire book, cover to cover. It was glorious. In my defense, though, it was a rainy/stormy day. I had no choice. I have a lot of things to say about a lot of books I've been reading. That post is coming, so brace yourself for it.

+

We got rid of cable last week which means I sadly haven't been able to lose myself in Love It or List It, but I haven't even noticed because lately I've fallen in love with The West Wing. Martin Sheen's voice is an audible hug, and I want to adopt him as my grandfather. I don't know what it is, but something about this show makes me feel warm and gooey and like everything is going to be ok.  I would like President Bartlet to run my life. Amen.

+

We got the keys to our new apartment yesterday. It's perfect, at least perfect for now. It doesn't have that apartmenty feel like so many places do, and I feel like we could be happy there for awhile. It has character (like the weirdest living room ever), not to mention A LINEN CLOSET. I thought that was one of those things you didn't get until you're middle aged and have been married 20 years. I didn't know I was worthy of such luxuries. Unfortunately though, we haven't moved anything. Not a darn thing. We have until the end of the month to get out of our current place, so it's not a big deal, which is good because I have packed exactly two boxes, and I only did that because I was bored while the oven was preheating. It's going to be a long 9 days. I have every intention of booking some sort of vacation after all this. I need it. Do you hear me? I need it.

+

And that's where I've been lately. How are you?

18 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with spending a day in bed, reading :) I need to do that again soon.

    I love that you said you wish you could adopt Martin Sheen as your grandfather. I'd consider him manfriend material - KIDDING. The oldest I go is Jeff Daniels :)

    Good luck with the move! I love a good linen closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I'm stealing the "lately" idea...I had nothing this morning.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your move! I've been reading a ton lately too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH, my girl. A good book and a good six(ty five) episodes of The West Wing can kick any funk. Please update me on how far you are into the series and everything you love about it. Also, can we file for joint adoption of Martin Sheen? He's the most adorable of all time. ALL TIME.

    Be on the lookout for a little something being shipped to your new address Tuesday or Wednesday!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I'm so happy that you found a place to move to!

    but sorry you've been feeling lonely this past week. I totally get that, and know it sucks. I always just sleep a ton when I feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely nothing wrong with spending the day in bed reading, nothing I tell ya.

    The West Wing is the greatest. CJ is one of my favorite characters of all time and I just want to hug Pres. Bartlett, big ol' grandpa kind of hug haha

    Good luck with the move! We just got all of our stuff and have been unpacking all weekend - blah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A semi-colon is probably one of the most important punctuation items to understand, and nobody seems to really get it. So, so frustrating. Are you sure you work in a law office where grammar is paramount?

    My parents got me a tablet for Christmas, and all I use it for is books. I love all day reading binges, they make the world a better place.

    Moving = most awful thing to have to do ever. My thoughts are with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linen closet? Amazing. I'm all sorts of envious right now. If this week ends up being anything like last week, I suggest you move those linens in first. I bet it'll help. Or maybe just build a fort in the closet (who cares if it's squishy?) And read another book. You've got this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can confirm the suckage that was last week. glaaaad that is over.

    and we have to be out of our place by September 1st. Our plan right now is to move into my Mother in law's house (shoot me. I'm serious.) for a month or two until we figure out which direction our lives are going. I plan to pack like, a box a day. that seems less painful than moving all at once. Packing during an oven preheat is genius. or like, during the 60 second ads on hulu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that you're addicted to the West Wing too! I'm working on Season 5 now. I'm sure that it's one of the greatest shows of all time. I love that it has the drama mixed with intelligent humor. Now I just have to get my husband to watch it. Also, the library is great and linen closets- fantastic! Though ours has morphed into a linen/medicine/extra tampons closet. Which is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy for you and your closets! Exciting, exciting times.

    I have not watched The West Wing, but my presidential drama is being filled with Scandal right now. I'm not ashamed, it is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanna watch The West Wing, but I'm having trouble convincing my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally forgot The West Wing existed. I had a friend in college who was OB-SESSED with that show and got me into it for a while, and then...I don't know, college made me too busy for t.v. or something. I should re-watch it...

    I'm happy for you and your linen closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see a picture of "the weirdest living room ever"!

    We got rid of cable as well...it's kind of fun finding old shows to watch/rewatch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're coming up on that time of year where we get rid of cable again. Every time they hike our price, I cancel it, wait a few months, and then they give me a stellar deal to come back. I'm cheap like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaaand now I have to give West Wing a go. I collect wonderful patriarchal figures...so this too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl, gimme some reading material...even though I have a filled to the brim bookcase of books that I haven't even touched yet.

    And I wish I could give you a vacation. I would if I could my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wanna know what I loved most about this?!??!?! You mentioned Love it Or List it.. I'm sorry you had to lose cable, because I LOVE that show. I did a vlog for Wednesday on the very subject of that show.. can you believe how mean some of those people are? I mean seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.