8.04.2013

"I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."


"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." -You've Got Mail







Last night James and I were driving near the OSU campus. College kids were roaming the sidewalks, riding their bikes, and sporting haircuts that said "I'm so hipster I'm even too cool for myself." Every time I saw one of these kids, I wanted to hop out of the car, grab them by the shoulders, and scream "ENJOY THIS FOR ME, WILL YOU?! IT WILL END SO SOON AND YOU WILL MISS IT SO MUCH" and then run back into the car choking on my own sobs.

I miss college right now. Not even college, necessarily, but school. I MISS SCHOOL. I want to be a student again. I want to go back to school shopping and stock up on new jeans and notebooks and pens and mechanical pencils that match my new shirts. I ran into Walmart last night for bandaids, because I cut my knee while shaving my legs (I don't even know the last time that happened, I must be regressing to high school again), and it was back-to-school-central in there. Parents and kids were grabbing school supply lists (BE STILL MY HEART. An excuse to buy colored pencils and erasers was/is my reason for living), and I fondled every stack of notebooks I walked past, feeling nostalgic over all my first days of school and momentarily forgetting that I actually hated the first day of school because the terror of new classmates and schedules. But the first days of new semesters in college? BLISS. It was syllabus/ice breaker day, and I lived for it, especially because at that point I was choosing my classes and my schedule and already had friends in my departments.

Basically, I miss school. If student loans weren't a thing and school was free, I would have a degree in every subject. I could be a professional student. Maybe. I have a feeling that I'm forgetting how much I hated homework, other than writing papers which I LIVED FOR because I am an abnormal human. My favorite part of college, any college, is the college bookstore. THE SMELL. The books. The atmosphere. The excitement. The school supplies. I don't even know, but I love a good college bookstore. I miss my college bookstore and and the old brick buildings. I do not, however, miss the constant swarms of ditzy sorority girls and my crazy roommate and frat boy neighbors who refused to let me sleep due to their constant parties.

Not to mention, fall hit Ohio in July. I realize that I am writing this on August 4th and we are still knee-deep in summer, but it's been in the 60s and 70s for the last few weeks now, and I am loving it. Every year, late July into August is the hottest time of year, with temps in the upper 90s to over 100. But not this year! The leaves are even starting to change on some of the trees. It's bizarre. But, you know, global warming and all.

My favorite time in high school was the fall. I loved wearing my sweaters to school and watching the blur of red and orange trees as the yellow school bus zipped past, and drinking hot apple cider at Friday night football games. I know I'm romanticizing school right now, as my high school graduation was the best day of my life, but the newness and romance of fall and freshly sharpened pencils will forever stay with me. Adulthood has its many perks, and I am forever thankful that I can leave work at work and come home without worrying about homework and grades, but the time of year full of school supplies and cool weather will forever make me long for my youth.

24 comments:

  1. I always miss college. I live in the college town and I too want to choke the students. I also want to time travel back and choke myself into really loving that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! I'm a teacher (and have the student loans to prove it), and I still get a thrill when the leaves begin to change, pencils are freshly sharpened, and sweaters are pulled from their summer hiding places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree! fall makes me so nostalgic for college... and fall clothing in general. i kind of hope that this fall weater sticks around for the rest of summer into "real" fall..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is part of the reason why I became a teacher. I love school WAAAAY too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love school supply buying time, I know this year wont be the same because I'm doing online school but I love me brand new notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the free spirit of college, you know, the i-met-a-random girl and then we hung out for like two weeks and had lunch together and I knitted her a hat and then classes changed and we never saw each other again....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to school shopping is the best! I roamed the school supply aisles of Wal Mart today too and it was really exciting...not that I needed anything, but who can walk by big displays of folders and notebooks and pens without stopping to look?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woman, you hit the nail on the head. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year at this time I think "I should go back to school, that would be good". But then I think of the loans and the fact that I already have a job that pays just as good as a job I could get with a degree and I dismiss the thought. But I will still buy new pens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If school was free I would so get a ton of different degrees. I would even just sit in on classes if I could do that for free. I think I could get away with it in huge classes. I actually went to one of my sister's college classes last year one day and sat in the back row. It was a small class but the professor didn't say anything...

    ReplyDelete
  11. amen sista! isnt it weird how a new notebook and some colorful mechanical pencils can make you giddy? i really wish i could go sit in classes all day long and learn to just learn. not worry about grades and exams and all that jazz. i really didnt enjoy my college career as much as i should have.. and now all i want to do is go back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I...hear...you! If I had a job that required me to get a Master's degree, I'd be excited about it. At this point, I can't justify the student loans for a degree that I don't need.

    It's been fall-like around these parts, too. YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE FALL.

    Even more so this year, since I will be MEETING you in the fall...
    (with our hipster glasses, colored skinnies, top knots, etc) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in grad school and I still miss college. (undergraduate, small liberal arts school.) I don't go back to alumni events often 'cause I'm afraid I'll look like I'm enjoying it way too much. ;)

    --Erika
    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss school, too. If online graphic design school wasn't about $60,000 I'd be all over it.

    It's funny that 60-70 degree weather says "fall" to you...it's been in the 60's the last couple of weeks (we still haven't hit 70) and you'd think we lived on the equator or something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss school too! Now I'm itching for when my kids will be old enough to start school. Though we'll be homeschooling... which might be even more fun for me!

    I liked writing papers too, you aren't too weird ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. High school in the the fall was the best. I'm not going to lie, I had a letterman's jacket and as soon as it was cool enough that thing was on me like white on rice. Cross country meets, football games, and hanging around bonfires without a care in the world. It was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. School supplies ARE MY LIFE. I feel you on that. I don't feel you on the school part. I always say that I would go back to school to become a teacher if I didn't have to go to school.

    Also, not that I'm complaining, but what happened to summer?!? I bought dresses that I haven't even worn. I should not complain. I'll stop complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Basically I am printing this post, tucking it in my pocket and keeping it for courage on that day when I register for school again. I am terrified of it, but something in this makes me want to run to that day, that day of education, of the new book smell, the professors far too smart for me, the papers I won't know how to write, and the people... the people who will change me life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well said. All of this. And I would have to say ditto. To all of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl, I so get you. This coming semester is my last semester of my undergrad career and I'm already missing it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still buy school supplies every year. You can never have too much college ruled paper, sticky notes, and good pens. Besides that, Ammon was a full-time student up until May, so we REALLY needed a lot of it still. All the same, I don't see me breaking my school supplies are for fall habit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First, I miss you! Seems like you've been to quiet lately. I know you moved, but that's no excuse. Also, show us the new place. Pronto.

    And. I miss school shopping too. THE lists. School lists. I go to this school, I'm in this grade, and THIS is my list. I want green, not purple or pink, mom. But I do want a Lisa Frank peechee folder.

    *sigh* yeah, I miss it too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.