8.26.2013

some good reads

I have been a reading machine this summer. I've read some really awesome books and some crappy books. Everyone seems to be looking for book recommendations lately, so I thought I'd share a few favorites from the past few months. 

First up, nonfiction.



1. Growing up Amish. I saw the author on a reality TV show last year and knew I had to read his book. He grew up Amish (obviously), left and went back several times over the course of the years, and finally left for good. It reads almost like something you would watch on Breaking Amish, and it gives a really fascinating look into the real Amish world and how perfect it really isn't.

2. The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING, or Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off The Dog. I loved this book with my whole being. It is HILARIOUS. The author decides to take a year and live like Martha Stewart would, complete with party hosting and redecorating and planting a garden, all things she never thought she could do. I laughed so hard throughout the whole thing. I do have one warning: nearly half the book is about her dog and her dog's fight with cancer, which occurs during her year of Martha. She harps on it way too much, in my opinion, and it lends itself to some cheesy moments, but I still wholeheartedly recommend this book.

3. How Did You Get This Number: I just finished this book last week, and I loved it. I devoured it. Sloane Crosley is basically a female David Sedaris who has a ridiculous wit. Her book is full of hilarious essays of the crazy things that have happened to her. Plus, something about the title paired with the look of the bear on the cover cracks me up.


Fiction:


1. Where'd You Go, Bernadette: This book was AWESOME. I read the entire thing, cover to cover, in one day. The author is one of the writers of Arrested Development, to give you an idea of the kind of wit and eccentricity of this book, not to mention there are definitely some similar characters and plot lines. It's cheeky, it's silly, and it's lighthearted. Almost the whole book is composed of faxes/letters/emails/notes/etc, which makes it slightly confusing at first, but it gives it a definite creative edge.

2. The Paris Wife: I fell in love with this book during the first paragraph. It's based on the life of Ernest Hemingway's first wife, Hadley. It goes through how they met, their wedding, their years in Paris, and the end of their marriage. As someone with a degree in English, I geeked the heck out over the inside look at Hemingway and his relationship with F. Scott Fitzgerald and the other writers he spent time with in Paris. Even if literature isn't your thing, it's still a really interesting take on Paris during the roaring 20s.

3. Someday, Someday, Maybe: This is the debut novel of Lauren Graham aka Lorelai from Gilmore Girls aka Sarah Braverman on Parenthood. It's about a girl in her 20s living in New York and trying to make it as an actress, and from what I've read, it's based partially on Lauren's life. Her personality and humor definitely translate well into her writings. It's cute and silly and a fun, easy read.


This was fun. I want to make this a thing and post about books every few months. Now tell me what you're reading! I'm always looking for suggestions. But not Hunger Games/Twilight/Harry Potter or anything with vampires.

Also, are you on Goodreads? It's Facebook for book lovers, and a great way to keep track of what you've read and what you want to read. Find me here!

15 comments:

  1. One of my friends was just telling me I should read Where'd You Go Bernadette! Also, I really need to read the Lauren Graham book

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Paris Wife and Growing Up Amish are both on my to-read lists!!! So glad to hear you liked them

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE book reviews! Thanks for doing this girl!! I've been on a Kate Morton kick...she has 4 AMAZING books that you would LOVE! My favorite is The Distant Hours and The Forgotten Garden...but all are fantastic! Just finishing up her last here in Thailand! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OF COURSE AN AMISH BOOK IS FIRST

    I keep seeing 'Where'd You Go Bernadette' and wanting to check it out every time- I'm going to have to now! YOU ARE THE BEST FOR DOING THIS. I am adding a couple of these to my fall reading list.

    Can we make a book club??? Great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at "female David Sedaris."

    grabbing my kindle as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for some new good reads. I'm in need of one. My mom was reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette on our last trip and she was laughing practically the whole time and reading it aloud. I think I'll swipe it from her when's she's finished. Also, I'm glad to hear you liked Someday, Someday Maybe. I saw her talking about it on Ellen and I was intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to add Lauren Graham's book on my reading list. I love her, so I'm sure I'll love that book. Thanks for all of the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle! Thanks for the recommendations! They all sound like great reads! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a few of these books on my to-read list, but I'm definitely checking out Growing Up Amish. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Where'd You Go Bernadette, it was so amazing. Also, I need to read the new Jen Lancaster, I've read all her other books and LOVED them. Have you read her fiction too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the book reviews lady! I like knowing what's out there in adult book world, since I'm so entrenched in the YA fiction all the time. I will definitely be adding the Lauren Graham book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adding nonfiction 2-3 to my never ending list of things to read. You had me at female sedaris. Which I am aspiring to BUT WHATEVER.

    In unrelated news I started watching a lifetime movie called Escaping Polygamy last night and totally thought of you. I turned it off as soon as I saw that the teenagers wore makeup and texted each other. Let's keep things AUTHENTIC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read one of Jen Lancaster's books in college. It was awesome.

    Since I'm now engrossed in literature delving into the deep, dark recesses of human resources and quickbooks, these may have to go on the backburner for a bit. But they all look like winners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Sloane Crosley. No, I basically want to be her. I've been waiting not-so-patiently for her to come out with something new.

    Adding The Tao of Martha to my to-read list (I've either read all the others or they're already on my list!) and adding YOU to my goodreads list.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.