10.10.2013

the hazards of overtime


I worked nine hours today (I'm writing this Wednesday night). NINE. Eight hours plus one hour of overtime. I also did this yesterday. Working eight hours is one thing, but adding even one more hour to your workday will make you feel like you are dying and everything is falling apart and why is everything so hard and can you pass the junk food and would it be weird if I started crying?



That extra one hour is a gateway drug to hell. It opens up the doors to work demons who make everything go wrong. They know you're working longer and you're tired, so they unleash their fury. Yesterday, I came home and couldn't turn my brain off for the life of me. I was mentally exhausted, and I woke up today completely work hungover. My brain was still sore, my eyes were still trying to avoid looking at computer screens, my head was fuzzy, and everything was awful. Luckily for me, today was even more difficult than yesterday.

A project I thought was due last week was actually due today.
Another project was assigned to me.
My computer wouldn't function.
James had to make an emergency trip to the doctor (he's fine).
FOB and I nearly collided with each other in the hallway.
There was a problem with my cell phone bill.
Two emails saying something like "Hey Michelle, I think the file you gave me is for someone else..."
My lunch from home was nowhere as yummy as I thought it would be.
The department next to us had a potluck and it was all I could smell all day.
I had to walk past the food all day.
Did I mention my lunch was a fail? And the potluck right next to me.
Every single task at work somehow became 100 times more complicated than it ever should be.
And so much more.



I didn't even get to take my lunch break until 2:30. By that point, I decided I needed some fresh air. My head was fuzzy, and I couldn't think straight. I walked through the hallway, and as I neared the door to the parking lot I jumped a foot and squelched a scream, because there was A CRAB IN THE HALLWAY. Except! Guess what! It wasn't a crab at all! It was a leaf. But, you know, so normal for crabs to be inside office buildings. Especially with all the beaches we have here in central Ohio.



Once that happened and I noticed my brain was powering down, I booked it to Tim Hortons and got an iced coffee. Instead of using the drive through like I normally would, I went inside Timmy Ho's. Last time I went through the drive through several months ago, the jerk employee gave me an iced tea with cream (vom-it) instead of an iced coffee with cream and I didn't notice until I got back to work. It was also during a very bad day and led to me sobbing in my car, and I will do anything to keep that from happening again. Now I go inside and watch them make it. Anyway, I got my iced coffee and looked for the trash can to throw away the straw wrapper. There were two trash cans side by side, each with a logo similar to the ones you see on public restrooms, sort of like this:

The problem with this is that I stared at it for a good 5 seconds trying to figure out which was the men's trash can and which was the women's trash can. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHICH ONE TO USE?!




Needless to say, it has been a really long week. If you need me, I'll be pulling a George Constanza and napping under my desk.


18 comments:

  1. This post was pretty dang good for someone who basically just described her brain as mush. The garbage can story made me giggle-snort. Also, should you ever decide to switch gears professionally, I think you should avoid nursing with their famous 12-13 hour shifts. (Although it would make for some interesting stories).

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE LEAF-CRAB!! Made. My. Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, it was always hard enough to make it to 8 hours. That extra hour would be too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day I worked 14 hours. Don't ask. It was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nap under my desk sounds lovely right now, and it's not even 9am. (I got to work early, I don't know why. I didn't plan on it.)

    Why do lunches from home always suck? Well, not always, but a lot of the time. I just can't get excited about a salami sandwich, no matter how hard I try.

    I hope you're only working 8 hours today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me feel better about my life. I was waiting for a stop sign to turn green on my way home last night. I have no idea how long I was sitting there, but the person behind me finally honked. Then I cried because I didn't want anyone to be mad at me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on the overtime sucking the life out of you. That's basically all my summers are at this job. Twelve hour days with an hour long commute afterwards. Bascially I just go curl up and die when I get home.

    Winters though... A paid 8 hours for watching youtube and blogging. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha men's and women's trashcans....sorry, that cracked me up. I'd probably use the men's one, just to be rebellious. Angel's working 16 hours of overtime this week--3 12 hour shifts and 2 8 hour shifts....I'm the one who stays home and I'm already over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how all of this is centered around Andy Dwyer. He is THE BEST and at this point in the work week, is my mirror image, too!!!!

    WORKING OVERTIME, ugh! But at least that's more $$ in your cute little pocket you can save (for 37 days) until our visit where we will spend it on ALL THE THINGS (like great Ohio food, mostly)

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say this made me laugh (IN SYMPATHY) but since we're newly minted bff's, let me say ijstead that I will be a shoulder you can cry on. I'll bring you to Dunkin Donuts where they rarely get it wrong and BONUS!!! they only have one trash can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could get paid for overtime...there are some days where I wouldn't mind working an extra hour or two if I needed a little extra money.

    That said, I CANNOT understand why anybody would want to work four 10 hour days. I totally get the appeal of a 3 day weekend every single week, but working from 8am-7pm every single day would drive me absolutely insane. My attention span for work decreases by about 50% every hour starting at 2pm. Yep, that means by 5pm my desire to do any work is at NEGATIVE 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LEAF CRAB!!!

    And I also hate it when my lunch isn't nearly as yummy as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my god this is my week right here.

    9 hours is tough! but its tougher when your partner is doing 10 hour days so he gets whinging privileges.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This happens to me all of the time. I feel all of your pain. I also refuse to go through drive-throughs, because something always goes horribly, horribly wrong.

    Dang Fob needs to stop tormenting you already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your blog so much I would go for coffee and order a iced cream tea (?) with you. And then throw it away in maybe? the right trash can, and get something better.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.