11.13.2013

let's talk BOOKS

Ok, so during this round I've been REALLY into the WWII/historical fiction. I learned so much from these books, and even though they weren't all quick and easy reads, I got so much out of each one of them.


1. Rules of Civility. This book was so good. It's a novel set in the 1930s that follows three friends in their 20s. It's like The Hills of the Depression era. It follows careers, love, relationships, and friendships. It reminded me so much of something that would be a reality show today, but I don't mean that to say it's shallow. The writing is top notch, and I did not want to put it down.

2. The Astronaut Wives Club. I don't know how to explain why, but this is officially one of my all-time favorite books. It's nonfiction and about the wives of American astronauts during the beginning of the American space age. It gave the behind the scenes look at how they dealt with their husbands going to space, how they supported each other through everything, and how they handled becoming instant celebrities. Read this book. Right now. If nothing else, it's set in the 50s and 60s and has a total Mad Men feel.

3. The Book Thief. I commented on this book when I was halfway through, and I didn't like it. It just wasn't doing it for me, mostly due to some repetitive aspects of the writing. I nearly quit reading it so many times (it's 500 pages!!!), but once I hit the halfway point it quickly picked up. This is not one of my favorite books, but it was extremely powerful and emotional. I am NOT one to ever cry over a book or movie, but I cried myself to sleep when I finished this book. The ending was horrendously tragic, but parts of it was also so heartwarming I couldn't handle it. The story is told by the point of view of death/the grim reaper, and it was actually done really well. Despite my issues with the book, the story has stuck with me, and that means there's something worthwhile to the story. And for those of you who've read it, Max is my favorite character. He made the entire thing worth it for me.


4. The Secret Rescue: An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines. This book made me angry because the story is SO GOOD, but the writing was horrible. It felt like the author made it her personal mission to make it sound as boring as possible. It's a true story about American flight nurses and medics in WWII that accidentally landed in Nazi-occupied Algeria. They spent months starving and hiding from the Nazis and conspiring with the government to escape. The story was kept secret for decades to protect everyone who helped the Americans. The writing was far too textbook-like for my taste, but I still recommend it for the incredible story. Definitely worth the read.

5. Bitter is the New Black. This was HILARIOUS. It was my second Jen Lancaster book, and despite the salty language, I cannot recommend it enough. It was an easy read and something I read on the plane to California. It's a memoir about how she was a rich executive who suddenly became unemployed and broke. She writes it in a way that will make you hate her and love her at the same time. But seriously, if you need something easy to read that will make you laugh, this is it.

6. In the Garden of Beasts. I loved this book. It's another one of those books that takes awhile to get through, but it's worth it. It's also nonfiction, and it's about the life of the American Ambassador to Germany during the 1930s and Hitler's rise to power. Much of the book comes from the Ambassador's and his daughter's diaries. It's fascinating to get an inside look on what was really happening in Berlin before WWII when Americans were turning a blind eye. If you are a WWII fanatic like I am, then you need to read this book.


Have you guys read anything good lately? Lay it on me.

7 comments:

  1. I love Jen Lancaster! I read her book about losing weight a few years ago, and I have never laughed so hard in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know pretty much nothing about those WW2 books, TEACH ME EVERYTHING. But Jen Lancaster IS MY GIRL!!! She is so hilarious and I've read two or three of her books. Bitter is the New Black was the first one I read, and in the beginning I thought she was insufferable and so annoying- but after awhile I grew to love her! She's a riot!!!!! Let's do a book swap this weekend? K GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the Astronaut's Wives club!! It was so good ... it read a little like Real Housewives of The 1960's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read so much! I have not nearly made it through as many books as I wanted to this year. But you did remind me to add The Book Thief to my amazon wishlist! I am currently reading Apologize, Apologize! by Elizabeth Kelly. I don't remember where or why I picked it up, but it is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Book Thief and In The Garden of the Beasts in my Kobo. Can't wait to start them after I finish reading Sold by Patricia McCormick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try Erik Larson's Devil in the White City. I read Garden of the Beasts and then had to read more of his writing. It's about the Chicago World's Fair, the big one, can't remember the year. It about the visionary behind the World's Fair and what went into getting it up and running while at the same time following a serial killer who used the fair as a method of gaining victims. It was very well done and not just a little creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Astronaut Wife's club one sounds good! Granted, I did just watch the Discovery's special on the Challenger Disaster so maybe I'm still riding that train lol

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.