12.11.2013

a smorgasbord of stuff

1. Monday night before bed, I was texting Sarah about how we were supposed to get a ton of snow last weekend, but it was only several inches. And then I woke up yesterday morning to a completely unexpected and unforecasted blizzard. Magic.


2. I sit all by myself at work. There were two other people that sat next to me, but one of them moved when a better desk opened up (by the window, can't blame her), and the other one quit a few months ago, so I've been referring to my desk as The Lonely Island. It doesn't bother me, because I like being left to my own devices, except for the fact that people are constantly walking behind me, but that's another story. Anyway, a new guy started on Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about him, and I need to talk through it. He previously worked here, but then he quit 2 years ago to be a stay at home dad. But now he's back, and he decked his desk out in nerd apparel, including what look to be two asian bobbleheads? He's basically the equivalent of a dad mommy blogger. He is always passing around his phone to show pictures of his kids in various costumes he put them in, and on his first day he looked at his watch and very wistfully said, "sigh....it's Spongebob time...." He's short and balding and has a sense of humor I haven't quite figured out yet. I'm not sure what to think. I think he feels the same about me, because yesterday he made a comment about my snack drawer and the fact that it's practically a grocery store. Plus I don't think he's gotten used to the fact that I need turn around every 5 minutes to look out the window 100 feet away. I need to know if it's snowing, ok? Unfortunately, given our proximity, it appears as though I'm turning around to watch him.

3. If you don't have a Trader Joe's, you might want to look away. Because I bought this on a whim last weekend, and it's the best $4 I've ever spent. If you don't have the luxury of having a TJ's 2 miles down the road, try eating chocolate and cheese together at the same time. You'll get the idea. I came home from work last night immensely tired and supremely cranky, and even though I had good intentions of cooking, I accidentally on purpose made this my dinner instead.



4. I'm going to say something that will offend every girl everywhere: I hate gold. I do.  I can handle it in small doses and certain situations, but in general I really don't like it. Gold has apparently become the shiz lately, but I want nothing to do with it. I'll stick with silver, please.

Last night I saw a pin for brass hardware. I immediately thought of my childhood home in Reno, built in the early 90s, and all the fixtures were brass. I think of that and I wonder how anyone could ever love brass. It will always scream early 90s to me. And really, do we want to go back to stirrup pants and shoulder pads? Put down the brass and walk away.

5. Last night I also saw a pin for vegan donuts. I was slightly incredulous and wondering what bizarre ingredients were involved, so I clicked on it. And you know what the "vegan donut" was? A peach with crushed pistachios on top.  I kid you not. We have gone too far, people. I am all for healthifying desserts, but a peach will never be Krispy Kreme.

6. You all have convinced me. I AM GOING TO READ THE HUNGER GAMES. Did you hear that? You guys convinced me, and that is not an easy thing to do. I always swear off cult book series, but every single person praised it. So I will swallow my pride and read it, and I'm excited.

7. I need to introduce you all to my favorite blog, It Just Gets Stranger. I discovered this blog a year or so ago when I came across The Snuggie Texts (start with these, hysterical), and then I sort of forgot about the blog. I recently rediscovered it, and I'm smitten. This guy has my sense of humor exactly. He is always in ridiculous situations, he pranks people, he tells cat jokes, and he is the best storyteller on the planet. He's also Mormon, and we all know Mormons can't get into heaven unless they have a blog. Kidding!

I'd also like to say this: I think we need more guy bloggers. They are hysterical, and you never have to worry that an outfit or makeup post is going to sneak in there when you least expect it.

15 comments:

  1. CHOCOLATE......CHEESE......I'm gonna need a minute. And to go to Trader Joe's on my lunch break.

    I am intrigued by you new coworker. Could he be the new job's PFF? ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

    VEGAN DONUTS? Gimme a break. If you can/want to eat a donut, just eat the flipping donut. Life is short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I'd like chocolate cheese. I feel like I had it many years ago and it wasn't good--in my opinion.

    I think Angel could make a good blogger only he might be too scandalous without me there to edit him...he's threatened a few times to start blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love every post you put up. Your sarcasm is perfect! And I totally understand checking for snow every 5 minutes and the importance of snack drawer cornucopia.

    That chocolate and cheese! I have never seen anything like that, but I would be willing to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate gold, too! Well, bright gold. I can't do it...it's tacky. The "Russian Gold" that Alex and Ani bracelets are made out of, I can handle. However, I'm not a huge fan of those bracelets...so now I might get shot.

    I wish more guys blogged, too. Actually, I've found a couple on tumblr (!! get on it!) that are pretty funny.

    I'm excited to hear more about this new co-worker...next time he looks at his watch and says what kid's show is currently on, throw a stapler at his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHO KNEW THERE WERE SO MANY VERSIONS OF GOLD?! i just thought there was real gold and the gold that made your fingers green.

      Delete
  5. Yes! Gold is ugly! Also, thank you for the excuse to go to TJ's on my way home. I was looking for one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO TRADER JOE'S!! Sadly, there has never been one in any of the areas I've lived in.
    I'm not so fond of gold myself. I personally think it looks really weird on my skin tone. I picked white gold for my wedding band. Silvery color without the tarnishing :P
    HURRAH FOR THE HUNGER GAMES!!!! And while you're reading...May the odds be ever in your favor! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HAVE SO MANY THINGS TO SAY. Because we are speaking again, thanks to your commitment to reading The Hunger Games. Please don't be prepared for literary greatness. Just overall greatness, ya know?

    Okay first: He's basically the equivalent of a dad mommy blogger. I CANNOT. With the spongebob time! I would trip him on a daily basis.

    THE CHOCOLATE CHEESE. I am going to buy it. Thank you for being brave enough to buy it. I saw it and got scared but now I have no excuses. I would like to recommend the syrah soaked toscano <-- YUPPIE ALERT. Its one of my faves though.

    Gold is my minor accent color for my wedding. #UNINVITED (jk totally not hashtag uninvited. I need my sister wives there!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. good God, i'm with you on the hating gold. silver all the way, please.

    and vegan donuts? that's. just. wrong. nooooo. it's a donut. you either splurge or stick to your fruits and veggies. don't name something the wrong thing for the novelty of it:P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know where to start. Maybe I will number this comment in reference to your post, ha.

    1) This reminds me of being a kid, when it snowed, it seemed to be magic that happened over night, unexpectedly. Untouched snow is BEAUTIFUL. I'm jealous, it snows probably about twice a year here, usually in feb time. And breaks the whole country.

    2) I would prefer to be on my own at a desk, working with other people stresses me out. Just let me do what I need to do and not talk to anyone, please. Hopefully you will end up being great friends with the dad mummy blogger.

    3) Cheese and chocolate sounds like the worst thing in the world. I am convinced that mixing sweet and savory together is the devils food, I mean, pinapple on pizza? No thanks.

    4) I'm not a fan of gold either, it's not very popular at all here, unless you are a chav and have gold hoops. Gross.

    6) You will not regret it.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate cheese? Well I never...

    I don't like gold either. I dunno why. Feels too... 70s or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOD YOU. I've always hated gold too. Lance thought it was the weirdest thing but I've always prefered white gold or silver.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trader Joe's. Sigh.
    If I am a mommy blogging (and I have a sad, sneaking suspicion that I may be), I wonder if I can tell time based on PBS shows. Sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. *mommy blogger. Obviously, I am a mommy who is blogging. Although I object to the word "mommy" in general. Because yuck.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.