12.16.2013

currently

Well, currently as of Sunday evening.


Anticipating: CHRISTMAS. Bet you didn't see that coming, didya? I'm just really excited to give my family their gifts. I think I did a pretty swell job for having a tighter budget this year.

Practicing: Uh, patience? I'm always trying to be patient about something. So let's go with that.

Listening to: Josh Lyman screaming on The West Wing.

Wanting: a vacation. My vacation to California in October turned out to be no vacation, and I've worked some 10 hour days lately. I need a vacation. Nothing fancy, no tropical islands, just a cabin in the mountains with my husband, a stack of books, and a fireplace. Lord have mercy, yes.

I am also wanting to go back to bed.

Watching: A super cheesy Christmas movie on Netflix. But Mr. Turner from Boy Meets World is in it, so I'm sold. I'm also watching the fire in the fireplace to make sure it doesn't burn everything down. Hashtag irrational fears. (not watching The West Wing at the moment, obviously)

Needing: Alissa just sent me a picture of her Talenti, and I think I need that. Also, cake.

Smelling: my Fresh Balsam candle. It's my favorite candle in the world..

Wearing: Yoga pants, fuzzy socks, and a grey sweatshirt that I love because it has plaid patches on the shoulders.

Drinking: Well I'm not drinking it at the moment, but I just finished a peppermint mocha made from a Starbucks Via I found in the back of the pantry. And then I added some whipped cream and sprinkles. Tasted exactly like I paid 5 bucks for it.



Reading: The Devil in the White City. It's about architects and a serial killer during the Chicago World's Fair. It is so. darn. good. I read a particularly scary chapter about the serial killer right before bed last night, and then I had a dream someone tried to poison my airplane food. Idk.



Feeling: THE SUNDAY BLUES. SHOOT ME. Work has been extra insane the past month, so I'm feeling extra bluesy. I'm burned out, and the only time I get off for Christmas is Christmas Day. Let's not talk about it.

Loving: the fact that I am officially 100% finished Christmas shopping. I did it all in 2 weeks. I usually am raiding the bare shelves for stocking stuffers on Christmas Eve, so this is a BIG DEAL for me right now. Now to wrap everything....

Hating: Messy friendships you want to fix but you don't know how.

Also, can we talk about Hobby Lobby? Because I ran in there Saturday night for some stuff that will not be mentioned because CHRISTMAS PRESENT CRAFTING, and almost all their Christmas stuff was gone!! It felt like a slap in the face! Listen, dearest Hob Lob, it makes me a bit uncomfortable to see stockings and trees in July, but I don't hate it. But when it's actually Christmas time and there's one Christmas aisle left?! It gives me a taste of the Christmas blues that I know are coming next week, and that's not something I'm ready for yet. Y U DO DIS.

Planning: my Christmas baking. Every year I bring a bunch of different Christmas cookies to my parents house on Christmas Eve, and I love doing it. Baking is so much fun for me. Last year I made killer sugar cookies and eggnog cookies (and others I can't remember), and I might need to repeat those. I haven't decided what else I'm going to make. I think chocolate should be involved. Mom, are you reading this? What do you think?! HALP.

Missing: having breaks, like in school. Every year I'm still shocked that I don't get 3 weeks off for Christmas. Really though, it literally surprises me every year.

Enjoying: the Christmas decorations. I wish I could keep them up all year. The thought that they have to come down soon upsets me more than it should. I'm also enjoying the insane amount of snow we've gotten this month.



Wishing: For more friends in this darn city. I have some great friends all over the country, but almost none of them live here, and that sucks. Sometimes I want people to go to dinner with or to have a movie night with. I also am wishing that someday I will get to go to a swanky Christmas or NYE party where I can wear a glitzy dress, heels, and red lipstick. I know, SO NOT ME. But I want to do it so badly. Also! I have also been wishing to not have a full time job. I just want to be a stay at home mom, but without the kids.

I have a lot of wishes.


Thankful: for what we do have. I was in a mood on Saturday afternoon and feeling very discontent. Our lives are very quite yet very fulfilling, but sometimes things on the interwebz still get to me and make me feel like I'm way behind in life. I sat myself down, made myself one of those peppermint mochas, and read my Bible. It helped refresh my mind in so many ways. We don't have a fancy house or furniture, we certainly don't have children or any on the way, and we don't have cushy high-paying jobs. But we work hard, we submit our lives to God, and have a made a great little home for ourselves here, and that is all we need.

I am so sorry for throwing you into SapFest 2013. That was completely unplanned.

#BLESSED.

(ha, kidding.)

(or am I?!?!?)

17 comments:

  1. I relate to so many things in this post. I'm also planning Christmas baking (I'm doing Pioneer Woman cinnamon rolls and bourbon pecan pie), I'm also reading Devil the White City (almost done!!), and I really wish I had some friends in my newish city of Durham. All my friends are in California or Indiana or Colorado. Your writing is fun, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost done Christmas shopping. That must be such a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, school breaks...I hear ya! Especially this year, since it's a long one.

    I wish our cities were closer...I've thought that about a million times since Kelsey and I were there. We could lounge with our snuggies or get all dolled up and go out. The struggle!

    Oh, and I'd share my Talenti with we lived closer. But until then, I will continue to eat it and send snaps out to make everyone a tad jealous (looking at you, Higgins!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so with you about this "only Christmas day off." Listen, people, Christmas is on a WEDNESDAY, let's get some cushion days on either side. And then I get these emails from people that are like "our office will be closed December 21st and open again January 6th and it makes me feel like crying because my boss, oh I don't know, decided I'd be traveling this THURSDAY until CHRISTMAS EVE. Because he's a scrooge.

    And chocolate peppermint cookies are so good if you need a chocolate cookie to make (http://www.marthastewart.com/873251/chocolate-mint-crackles).

    ReplyDelete
  5. JOSH LYMAN FOREVER. Dreamiest, all time.

    UGH, if I hear one more of my teacher friends talk about how they have two full weeks off due to where Christmas falls, I'm am going to jump out a window. WE GET IT. I am only off Christmas day and half of Christmas Eve, so don't worry! I'M WITH YOU.

    I SO WISH WE WERE CLOSER. Me, you, and Alissa would probably spend 95% of our weekends in Snuggies and eating. I mean, Alissa and I do that anyway.. so... you being here would just enhance the greatness of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whipped cream and sprinkles. I can't stop drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check groupon for vacation discounts. We got a two night stay IN A CABIN IN THE MOUNTAINS for $58 a night, and the regular price was something like $101 per night. We're going the week of New Year's and I'm SO EXCITED.

    Come to our Hob Lob. Christmas is alive and kicking in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, man my husband totally knows how you are feeling. He's been working 12 hour days the past three months and he worked both saterday and sunday this past week. Poor husband. I hope they fix whatever it is that is broken so he can come home before I'm ready for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart hurts for you, only because you get 1 day off next week. How in the HAY did that happen??
    Stop talking about baking cookies, because that's all I want to do right now instead of work. I want to be at home, in my christmas pajamas, listening to Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You, baking delicious things. BUT I CAN'T. Oh, add in the fireplace too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tastes exactly like I paid five bucks for it…ha ha! I love it. Also, I know how you feel about wishing you had more friends where you live. It's so stupid trying to make friends as an adult…can we all just act like we're in kindergarten again so it's easy again? My bf and I have been in a new city in a new state since October and I'm just not really sure about how to make pals…it would probably help if I had found a job, but alas, I have not! Which makes me the stay at home mom without kids you mentioned. Eh, it's cool most days…until you need to buy something and can't…absolutely can't…or you get on the Internet and everyone else success makes you feel unfulfilled because you're still sitting on your college degree with no prospects. Oh, crap…I think I just joined in on the sapfest…ha ha. You're right though, there is always something to always be thankful and happy about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok my love for sprinkles just doubled after that picture. also i have been dying to read that book, but am afraid it will give me nightmares, so i haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, I loved The Devil in the White City! I finished it in about 2 weeks (that is super fast for me), simply because I kept having strange dreams. I was convinced that once I finished the book my dreams would stop. Secondly, I hear ya on the whole friends thing. My options for friendly outings in my city are mommy play dates or a hipster bar. Considering I am not a mommy and my bedtime is 10pm, it's a little difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that book! There has been many times over the last couple of months that I've considered re-reading it. Also I wish I was done Christmas shopping, but alas I will have to venture out into the dreadful crowds this Saturday & finish up. Usually I'm done shopping by thanksgiving, but two kiddos makes that kind of impossible now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have six days off work and that is the most time I have taken off around the holidays in like 7 years. I don't even know what to do with myself! But yoga pants and books and fuzzy socks will probably have a lot to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. JOSH LYMEN + WEST WING 4 LYFE.

    Making friends as an adult is hard work, been here six months and still no good prospects haha

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.