12.02.2013

scenes from thanksgiving weekend



Let me say what the rest of the internet is saying: I had a really good Thanksgiving. I found some baklava in my parent's kitchen and ate just about all of it, and I learned that my mom knows all the lyrics to What Does the Fox Say. I don't even know them! We watched an old favorite Hallmark Christmas move from 1997 (The Christmas List, watch immediately or else) on youtube, and that was good for the soul. So yes, it was good. It's so easy to let pictures make everything look perfect, and you're probably going to read slews of posts depicting perfect weekends and huge family gatherings and loads of Christmas trees, so let me give you some balance. The snow melted, I ate some delicious turkey that shocked my vegetarian stomach (worth it), I never once did my hair or makeup, and I spent all 4 days in leggings. I even went in public twice without a bra, once on purpose since I was wearing a heavy coat, and the second by accident. I didn't notice until I hopped out of the car in the Trader Joe's parking lot and thought oh boy. I spent the whole weekend either laying by the fireplace or on the couch, and then somehow on Sunday afternoon James and I watched several hours of Home Improvement on youtube.

I made an ornament wreath for the front door which looks awesome from afar, but up close it's a hot mess of dried glue blobs and strings, and they're all a gentle breeze away from falling to the concrete ground. On Friday night I got massively carsick and had to go straight to bed to sleep it off, so I slept in the clothes I had been wearing all day. And then I wore those clothes until Saturday night when I finally made myself shower so I could get groceries. I made a felt ball garland for our tree which I'm obsessed with, but it's only long enough to wrap around the tree 3 times. But I love it so much I don't even mind. I didn't go black friday shopping because I have flannel pajamas to wear and internet to buy things on.  I had every intention of doing laundry and cleaning, but the most I did was turn on the dishwasher. I missed some good sales and I still have most of my Christmas shopping to do. But right now there is a fire in the fireplace and an episode of The Office on, so I don't even care. Except imma need me another pumpkin pie.

16 comments:

  1. about six weeks ago my my had her gallbladder removed and my youngest son and i went to check on her. i had never heard of 'what does the fox say.' she was high on pain killers and had recorded it on her dvr just to show me, because there was a live performance on one of the morning shows. my mom rarely takes a tylenol, so seeing her on something strong was hilarious. and she doesn't have the greatest sense of humor either, so the fact that she was getting into the fox song was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I even went in public twice without a bra" I CAN'T. You're my favorite person in the world.

    Internet shopping forever. In-person shopping for never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Chocolate Peppermint Loaf Mix" ...I'll admit it, I can't read the word "loaf" without giggling. I don't know why.

    What a glorious 4 day weekend you had. When I got the JTT snap, I about died. I love that half man/half midget so so so much. I'm into the teal and purple Christmas decor this year - I love that wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wreath is really cute!! Even if only from a distance! :P To go along with your spirit of full-disclosure, while staying with my grandparents for 5 nights, I slept in my clothes twice and I only took a shower once because there were 12 people staying in a house with 2 showers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so great!!! I'm glad you had a great thanksgiving!!! Wooo hoo for December an Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's talk about the branch tree situation next to your fireplace. And how jealous I am of your fireplace in general.

    Also, half of the ladies in TJs don't wear bras ON PURPOSE. You were fitting in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really interesting take on the concept, I like your site, your design very well. Our exclusive collection features unique sleepwear pieces are so comfy and stylish.More details Sleep Dresses for Women our websites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is exactly how I feel about my ornament wreath, it looks nice from far away, but it really is kind of a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not get to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family, the only upside was that my sisters did not force me to go Black Friday shopping. But seriously, where did you get that branch Christmas tree? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your thanksgiving looks awful... NOT. looks fabulous & relaxing.

    also, Christmas music is not playing in our house. Thought you should know :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can think about is that Chocolate Peppermint Loaf. That is my only goal today - go to TJ's and buy that crap.
    Hook a sister up with the leggings that you wear. I am in dire need of some.

    ps. i love all of your decorations, even if you think that they're a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thanksgiving was eerily similar, down to leaving the house with no bra, wearing yoga pant with slippers for 3 days straight, and hating being in the car. I feel like you and I deserve all of the pies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your thanksgiving sounds like mine, minus the being outside without a bra because the only time I went outside was on Friday to go to Target to buy footie pj's and I wore a bra lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. your Thanksgiving looks relaxing and wonderful! Man I miss having a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whyyyyyyy didn't I buy that loaf mix on my one, miraculous Trader Joe's visit? WHY?!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.