1.09.2014

if the ball drops at midnight and no one chose their word of the year, does that mean it's still 2013?

It has come to my attention that the newest trend is to forgo resolutions and adapt a "guiding word" of sorts for the new year. A word that guides and defines the year ahead of you.

Well! I'm not sure how I feel about this new-fangled idea. I mean, if this works for you and if it's what inspires you, then awesome. I am ALL for that. It's not that I think it's a bad idea; it's just that I have some questions. For instance: how do you a pick a word for an ENTIRE year? A whole year of complete uncertainty? 365 days!!! THE PRESSURE. THE ANXIETY.

Also, how does one choose one of these words? Did it come to you in a dream? Did you see it in your alphabet soup? Was it spelled out in the night sky with fireworks and giggles? Did you open a dictionary and choose the first word you saw? ENLIGHTEN A SISTER.

I think it's really great that people are so excited about their words. I do! It's awesome to have a goal and ambition to achieve it. But there is no way I could choose one word to guide my whole year. There are too many great words in the English language. I have, however, compiled a list of words that I KNOW would guide me into a great year. Any one of these words would guarantee a happy and satisfying 2014.

If you are also struggling to find a word to change your whole life for the next...*does basic math*... 356 days, I submit the following list of potential guide words for you consideration:

PAJAMAS
MEOW
AWKWARD
NETFLIX
COUCH
CATS
NAPS
CAFFEINE
NOPE!
YOUTUBE
CARBS
HASHTAG
YAWN
GUACAMOLE
JANKY
SHARKNADO
CHIPOTLE
STRIPES
EAT

Oh the possibilities!



20 comments:

  1. I need to think about this. Had no idea this was a thing. Had no preparation here. Probably because I too, was asleep when the ball dropped...

    BRB WHEN I THINK OF SOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MICHELLE

    YOU SUMMED UP MY LAST 24 YEARS WITH THESE WORDS

    BUT MOSTLY HOW COULD YOU FORGET--- PIZZA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's get pizza tattoos in March. BYE.

      Delete
  3. Um, I officially love this post. Please excuse me while I go tweet it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide between BEYONCE and PANCAKES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My personal favs are pyjamas and NOPE! LOL

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally using all of those words for the year of 2014 and every year after that until I die. Especially meow. And nope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are hilarious my dear! It's funny how popular it's become. Really, Ali started doing it several years ago and teaches a class on it too. Lately it seems like a lot of bloggers have picked up on it and kinda turned it into their own idea. But really, I think you can trace it back to her: http://aliedwards.com/shop/one-little-word-2014

    ReplyDelete
  8. JANKY IS MY WORD FOR 2014! I just need to use it more. I also said I was going to use "touch hole" more in my 27th year. Hmm, so I'm just going to start calling people janky touch holes.

    ANYWAY.

    My real word for 2014 is MOVE. CAUSE THAT'S MY PLAN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. always pick JANKY! or NOPE. not doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come on! ENJOY is an awesome one. ;)

    But yes. This post. So true. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't decide between couch or nap.
    Or maybe meow.

    Or Fetch. Let's make 2014 the year that fetch happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chipotle has been Ammon's guiding word for well over a decade. I can attest to its winning powers.

    Meow. Is there a more perfect word? I say no.

    ReplyDelete
  13. NOPE! is slowly becoming my 2014 word. Also, HALP.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HY!so nice your article you write amazing words.Thanks for share.
    cricket-ball

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is hilarious. My main problem is the idea of how the heck do you know what you'll be doing this time next year enough to pick out a word to describe the year? But maybe that's just me and my view of life as very uncertain and unpredictable.
    Also, I always think of myself as the blogger with excessively long blog post titles...but your titles definitely take the cake! :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chipotle. Definitely. And guacamole. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl, you had me at guacamole...
    Your #1 avocado fan,
    Al

    (ps - have missed reading you! Hope all is well!!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am dying. I thought the title was as great as it can get, and then I read the post.

    THOSE ARE ALL MY WORDS.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.