6.25.2014

I'm expecting my AARP card in the mail any day now

I was talking to some friends at work yesterday about the latest goings-on in our lives. One guy went to New York with his friends for the weekend. The other guy went boating and jet skiing in Kentucky.

"What have you been up to lately, Michelle?"

"Oh not much. Nothing exciting here. A little reading, a little Netflix, you know."

*looks of pity abound*

"You've at least been watching Orange is the New Black, right?"

"Uh, nope. Haven't seen it." (it just doesn't look/sound appealing? don't yell at me.)

And then I quickly changed the subject.

What they don't know is that I hadn't even been watching Netflix. I just said that to sound <<cool>> and ~relevant~. James and I spent part of last week watching the BBC Pride and Prejudice (my heart), and then on Saturday we watched the 2005 version. You know, so we could compare/contrast. To listen to the two of us compare dialogue and mannerisms and casting choices, you would've thought we were outlining a research paper. I know there are so many Jane Austen snobs who hate the newer version, but I just don't. I don't! It will never be the BBC and it will never have Colin Firth (hello), but that soundtrack covers a multitude of sins.

When I was in high school, a girl asked me what I was writing my senior research paper on. "Jane Austen!" I said, super excited. "Ew, that's boring," she replied. I had no idea how that would be a theme that would follow me forever.

In a moment of post-Austen spontaneity, I also explored the "classic pop albums" section of iTunes where I rediscovered Most Girls by Pink (my 7th grade jam), so brb, rocking out so hard right now.

I've also watered my herbs, played with my cat, and gone on evening walks through the neighborhood. Several times I almost picked up the scarf I've been knitting on and off (Jane Austen movies have a way of domesticating me), but I didn't feel quite right about kniting a chunky cabled wool scarf on the first day of summer. That's right, you probably celebrated summer solstice by the pool. I had to force myself not to knit a scarf, if you're wondering how ready I am for October.

I think I may have pulled a Freaky Friday with someone's grandmother. If you see an 83 year old woman dropping it like it's hot to Tailfeather by Nelly (another recent rediscovery, thanks to Alissa's video), send her my way.


9 comments:

  1. I'll take your life over any other kind of life any day, Shells. What I mean by that is, I am moving in with you in August. You can't stop me. This is happening.

    BRB WHILE I GO LISTEN TO SHAKE YOUR TAIL FEATHER 1000 TIMES

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous you have someone to talk to about P&P. Jarrod wouldn't sit through it if I paid him with money OR food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but no really....the new version's soundtrack was my study music all through college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove P&P! One of my favorite movies had always been the Sense and Sensibility with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson but I didn't really know much about Jane Austen. My friend introduced me to the BBC version on Pride & Prejudice when I was 14 and I've since seen every Jane Austen movie out there and read most of the books :) my mom is in town and we like to keep the BBC version on in the background at all times, with it being 6 hours long and all LOL

    My friend learned most of the music from the 2005 version on the piano and I used to make her play it all the time! Love it! And my husband prefers this version, although I think that's based on length alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! This made me crack up! I'm not too far off from my AARP card either. I love curling up with a book and tea, watching classic old Hitchcock movies or musicals and Jared and I take after-dinner walks regularly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in a P&P book club right now, and I must say it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is why you're the bomb.
    I like being a grandma and hanging out at home on the weekends. Don't even get me started on my love for P&P, okay?? I'm not a Austen snob, so I like both versions. BUT MY FAVE is the field scene with Knightley and Macfadyen....just stop it. I melt every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes. Choruses of 'how boring' follow bookworms around the world. I did my senior research paper on Everyman's Library. Even my teacher was bored by the idea, I think. The revamped version was a hit in college, though... and your Jane Austen obsession is appreciated here!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.