7.30.2015

currently, vol. 13




Feeling: Traumatized? Exhausted? Tis been a hellish week. I put on a different pair of glasses Sunday afternoon, same prescription as my other pair, and yet that somehow caused another case of vertigo. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as last time, but it kept me on the couch for several days as it progressively got worse until I finally took some medicine Tuesday night and slept it off. Gracie had her 4 month vaccinations yesterday, and all seemed to go perfectly until she woke up from her nap having a terrible and scary reaction to one of the shots, which had me in tears on the phone with the Nurse Practitioner and James running to the pharmacy in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm. I took her to the doctor this morning and she's back to normal, but I'm traumatized. That was the first big scare with her and I feel like I'll never be able to calm down.

Craving: pita chips and roasted red pepper hummus are all I care about.

Watching: A lot of The Dick Van Dyke show lately. TV Land was pretty much the only channel I watched as a kid, and I loved this show. It's on Netflix now and I've been watching it here and there. It's so clever and has me cracking up all day, except the theme song has been stuck in my head for THREE DAYS. James and I started watching The Newsroom and HOLY MOLY IS IT GOOD. There's some salty language and I don't agree with all their stances, but it's just so well done. Jeff Daniels is a boss. The only other thing I've seen him in is Dumb & Dumber, and I think I got whiplash from the violent change of character. 

Listening: to the the TV, because it's nap time which means I'm wasting time with things like Celebrity Wife Swap. All in the name of emotional recovery.

Drinking: Why is this even a question? Coffee. I'm always drinking coffee.

Reading: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. So creepy. So good. Maybe don't read it before bed unless you want to have wild nightmares.

Cooking: these barbecue peanut sweet potato burgers. So good. We make them all the time.

Thinking: that I understand why people have video baby monitors. The last thing I want to do is trek upstairs again to check on the baby. I still don't think it's necessary, but for another baby, I might splurge if we're still in a 2-story place.

Maybe.

They're still kind of creepy.

But they're a leg saver.

But still creepy.

But so am I.

(Don't tell.)

13 comments:

  1. I'm so glad both you and Gracie are feeling better-- jeeze-- what a week!! TGIF TOMORROW, GIRL. I mean, your job is 7 days a week so I guess that doesn't apply, but let's pretend it does for the sake of this comment.

    How about Alissa and I come over sometime soon and we can all eat pita chips and talk for hours about Jeff Daniels, ok? Sounds great to me.

    And honestly, I finished my lunch less than an hour ago and if that sweet potato burger was sitting in front of me right now, I would eat it without thinking twice. SO DELICIOUS LOOKING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for this pita chip/Jeff Daniels hang.

      Delete
  2. Yes to pitta chips and roasted red pepper hummus -- all day!!!!! I'm sorry to hear about the scare with your little girl but I'm so glad she's alright!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get the baby monitor. Get it, get it, get it! Want to use my Amazon Prime account? You can have it in two days. If I could put a baby monitor in my living room to see what the heck my cats are crying about all night, I would. NOW THAT WOULD BE CRAZY, but I would do it. And I would make sure it had a speaker feature, so I could talk into it and say, "NICO, BE QUIET!!"

    I haven't thought about this ~at all~ obviously ;)

    The Newsroom <333 "Don't say it's over, that's the worse I could hear..." I'm still hoping Netflix picks it up, or something. I MISS IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the worst NEWS* ...the worst NEWS* I could hear. Oh good gravy, that was supposed to be a word pun and I messed it up. The Newsroom/news, ughhh. Clearly I'm still distraught about the show ending. I think I should go home.

      Delete
  4. Is there any other kind of hummus besides roasted red pepper hummus? If there is, I don't care to know. But I'll take mine with baby carrots, or a soft naan, thanks.

    I just watched the first episode last night of The Newsroom, ironically. I'm undecided. Not turned off, but not hooked yet.

    I think I need to make those burgers soon. I haven't had a good vegan burger in a month of Sundays, and I made a kickass bourbon bbq sauce a couple of weeks ago that I need to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I feel you on the video monitor. I was all "come on what a waste of money and an over-protective neurotic parenting enabler." Now that Mila wakes up and just plays quietly in her crib sometimes I check on her more to see if she's awake or asleep, which sometimes means I wake her up.... Blargh. Totally buying one if we have more kids. I like these little round-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, the Rosebud episode of Dick VanDyke is my favorite. But I really do love all of them.

    I so watched CWS Bachelorette version last night. I find I will turn it off if I don't like the people involved.

    Finally, In Cold Blood is a great book. I read it for the first time in my English 100 class my freshman year of college. I should read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I just got new glasses a few weeks ago and I swear they are making me sick. They're the exact same prescription but whenever I wear them I feel like I have just gotten off of a crazy roller coaster. I can't wear them. I thought I was just losing my mind but I'm feeling a little better to see someone else has had a similar problem!

    I don't know how I feel about the video monitors. But then again I don't have a baby yet nor do I have to climb stairs over and over. We are house hunting so maybe we should focus our search on ranchers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You like the Dick Van Dyke Show too???? Every day we're becoming more and more alike. I ADORE Dick. His show and Andy Griffith have always been some of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We totally bought the video monitor. I left the decision up to Will because he's a techie guy and it made him happy to research something for the baby. We ended up with a NestCam and I gotta say, the thing is pretty awesome. We haven't used it for the baby yet, but we have set it up so we can see what our dog is doing after we go to bed (because we're cool like that). The only problem is since the baby hasn't arrived yet, it's currently just sitting in our living room where I may or may not spend my days blogging, watching TV, drinking ALL OF THE ICED TEA, and groaning when I try to get up from the couch. The other day Will turned the thing on remotely with his phone and STARTED TALKING TO ME THROUGH IT. Talk about creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh that would be terrifying. SO glad she's okay. Gosh, I can't imagine. Also, we haven't bought a monitor of any kind, video or not. Necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If she had a reaction to the shots, make sure your doctor reports it with VAERS, or you can too!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.