10.05.2015

seasonal ADD





September was brutally hot this year. Lots of heat and humidity, and I was preparing to go to California, the land of the eternal summer, so I didn't let myself get into the swing of fall until I came back. BUT I'M BACK and elbow-deep in my fall decorations.

Saturday was a raining, 53 degrees. I loved it so hard. I wore my first sweater of the year and pranced around Trader Joe's, buying up their 69 cent pumpkins. They're now sitting on the balcony, and I can stare at them and the changing leaves behind them as I sit on the couch and drink my coffee.  James bought me a pumpkin spice latte, because I unabashedly love all things pumpkin spice, and my pregnancy hormones forbade me from indulging last year, so now I must over-compensate. I was made for Octobers.

Gracie wore her red corduroy overalls to church yesterday, and I made soup and cornbread for dinner. It's going to be 76 degrees today (I'd rather not discuss it), but I still whipped up some pumpkin spice (there I go again!) baked oatmeal and lit my apple candle this morning. I got inspired to pull out a few fall decorations, and as I grabbed my other fall candles, I got a whiff of my Christmas candles. I heard the ghost of Bing Crosby crooning as the smell of eggnog and nutmeg wafted through the air. I nearly put all the fall decorations away and went for the Christmas tree. I stopped myself, counted to ten, and took a whiff of my pumpkin candle. Reining myself in this time of year is so hard. I love the pumpkins and the leaves but SANTA IS COMING IN TWO MONTHS and I'm still a 5 year old at heart.

I guess this means I'll be continuing my tradition of celebrating Halloween by listening to Christmas music.


10 comments:

  1. I was having a crisis about what to wear to work today (like I do most days) because there is a legitimate 30-35 degree difference between the temperature outside when I leave in the morning, and what it is when I walk out the door at night. It's going to get into the low 70's today, which doesn't bode well for me because I literally spent $40 on something called a 'blanket scarf' two days ago. Fall is such a tease!!

    PS. YOUR MANTLE <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our stores have no pumpkins yet. WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost didn't decorate for fall/Halloween before Tiff came. The previous two weekends I had spent on the road, and the thought of having to decorate on top of everything else I needed to get ready before her arrival made me want to crawl into a hole and nap.

    But I did it-- I decorated! And now I look around my house and think, "I ALMOST DIDN'T DO THIS? I'M CRAZY."

    But I too caught a little Christmas fever as I was going through my boxes in the basement. SO SOON. Cheers to the best time of year! And I need to know more about this soup you made-- and oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so so cute. I love your pics of Gracie. She's a doll!! I am also enjoying fall. Layers, baby! I am all about the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GIMME ALL THE FALL! Seriously why was September particularly hot this year! So rude of September. I shall vicariously live thought your actual fall/winter season so MORE POSTS/PICTURES PLEASE (also ALWAYS MORE GRACIE!) mostly because I live in the land of eternal humidity (aka a swamp, I literally live on a swamp... Jesus save me!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there is anything cuter than a baby in red corduroy overalls, I don't know what it is!! So glad you got those fall decorations out. I told Jared our house just feels like a big hug now when I walk in haaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Land of the eternal summer is so right. It's 80 here right now, and all I can think is, "thank goodness the 90 and 100 degree temps stayed in September". I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to "do" fall here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your excitement for this season makes me love it even more. It's 76 today here too, but at least there are high clouds and lower temperatures at night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is this pumpkin spice oatmeal?!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.