10.19.2015

why having a baby is kind of like having a cat




Back in January I wrote about how pregnancy felt a little like I was gestating a feline.  The baby moved around like a cat chasing a laser pointer. When she was born, her little cries sounded just like a kitten. It turns out, having a little baby is also a lot like having a feline.

Kind of.

I'll explain.

1. They like to bat at things. Dangle a toy over a cat, and it will go wild with excitement. Dangle a toy over a baby, and it will go wild with excitement.

2. Their appetite is always inconvenient. If Noel can see the bottom of the food bowl, she wakes us up with hysterical meows and follows us around the house whining until we fill up her bowl, or shake it until she can't see the bottom. Gracie has a knack for getting hungry the second I sit down to eat, or whenever food is served at a restaurant. Without fail. I dream of the day I get to eat a plate of hot food again.

3. They're nocturnal. At least, most babies start off this way. They want to sleep all day and party all night.

4. They want what they want, how they want it, when they want it, until they don't want it anymore. Be it sleep, food, toys, affection, etc. They want it until they don't. And then watch out.

5. You don't choose them, they choose you. Noel loves James and me and doesn't want anything to do with anyone else. Gracie chooses people at random to either love or to be terrified of.

6. Their mood changes on a dime. Noel can run around the house yowling, and be fast asleep a few minutes later. Gracie can be happily playing and then suddenly start screaming so fast it'll give you whiplash. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. It's their world, and we're all just living in it.

7. They require frequent cat naps. And don't you dare wake them up.

8. It's hard to have just one.

12 comments:

  1. So true! And, in the case of our old cat with an attitude problem, they pee on everything.

    And good luck getting either of them dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! And, in the case of our old cat with an attitude problem, they pee on everything.

    And good luck getting either of them dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like having a cat is better preparation for a future baby than having a dog. VINDICATED.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha- I love this!! Especially the last one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What IS the deal with the random screaming? It's like she's totally fine, smiling and kicking, and then OUT OF NOWHERE insane screaming. What happened in the last 2 seconds????

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say dachshunds are the closest dog to cats. I had no control and now I have 3. What does this mean for my future with babies? 😯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! If it weren't for our pet fees, we would have several cats and at least one dog. The thought of pregnancy and birth is what's keeping G an only child ;)

      Delete
  7. I must have the easiest baby ever because I identify with none of this (mine sleeps through the night) (yes Ill show myself out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does mine, but she certainly didn't the first few weeks.

      Delete
  8. I was scrolling through my blog roll for the first time in years and the title of this post made me smile before I even knew it was yours. It was so refreshing when everything else was about "top ten fall shoes" and "top ten fall mantel pieces" and "my great fall wardrobe". Nothing wrong with those posts, but yeah, this is just so much more original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahahaha I'm going to send this to the cat-lover I'm married to. You know one more similarity, at least in our case: Angel was so protective of his cats that he'd wake up randomly in the middle of the night and go and check to make sure they were okay. We had a 6 year old living with us for a few weeks in August...and yep, I was waking up randomly to go check and make sure he was still breathing. Of course when the baby is actually still in the waking you up stage, then you definitely won't be worried about them at night, since you'll be awake too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.