11.16.2015

things get better


Last week was so terribly hard. A string of bad days can send you into a funk, and that's definitely where I was Friday night. I just couldn't shake the mood. And then the Paris attacks. I was so upset as I sat in front of the tv, watching live coverage. I've always wanted to go to Paris. I've made plans several times, and each time they fell through. It's been very clear that those trips just weren't meant to happen. It's ok, though. There's always someday. I've had a strange love for France since I can remember. I remember my 4th grade teacher teaching us a few French words, and it woke up something in me. I fell in love with French and studied it from 8th grade through college, where I minored in French. I loved my French classes more than my writing classes. I felt most like myself when I was studying the language and literature and culture than I did anywhere else. Even though I've never been there, I feel such a kinship for the French. I feel like I know them. I was, am, so sad, and it completely shook me out of the fog I'd been walking around in all week. Not that what happened discredited anything I had dealt with; it just put everything in its proper perspective and helped me realized I was dwelling on things I couldn't change.

James was finally off all weekend, and we had such a good weekend as a family. It was so good for my soul. Simple togetherness. Exactly what we all needed after last week. Gracie is about a half a second from outgrowing her infant seat, so James installed the big girl carseat in my car, and it was all I could do to keep from crying. I never thought I would be the mom crying over a polka-dotted carseat, but here we are. We brought her home from the hospital in that! She looked like she was going to be swallowed whole in it when she was born, but now when we try to strap her in it, she resembles me trying to wear my pre-pregnancy jeans.

After we put her in the new carseat, we went on a family trip to Target, where we wound up buying G her first Christmas ornament. James and I watched the OSU football game while Gracie napped (she took slightly longer naps!!!). And when I say we watched the game, I mean he did while I read a book. But I snacked like I was watching a football game. I spent lots of time in the kitchen this weekend making pad thai, pumpkin spice waffles, and shepherd's pie. I started a new knitting project. I left Gracie at home with James and went to the library and walked through the nonfiction section, hitting each aisle twice. I picked up books, flipped through them, looked them up on Goodreads to see if they were worth my time, stayed until closing, and walked out with many more than I had planned to get. I will never not be excited about the library. I felt my world turn right-side up again as I browsed the racks. Never underestimate the healing power of words. I put peppermint mocha creamer in my coffee, and life as I know it has changed for the better. After putting Gracie down Saturday night, James and I put our pajamas on, ate some fish sticks (we discovered we were both craving them?) and started The Office again for probably the 7th time. For the first time ever, the toys and blankets all over the floor and the messy rooms didn't bother me at all. It was just so fun to be happy together.

And now it's Monday. And disGracie gave me a hangry 5am wake-up call. Which means I've gotten even more acquainted with my peppermint mocha creamer. But that's not exactly a bad thing.

20 comments:

  1. disGracie...ha!

    I might need your pad thai recipe. I attempted it ONCE years ago and used the wrong fish sauce and it was completely inedible. I'm still unable to live that one down in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday's events kind of brought all of us crashing back down to reality, didn't it? It's a shame how it takes something like that to snap us out of our collective funks-- I was in the same boat as you last week!

    Our Price Chopper recently started selling my mom's favorite peppermint creamer year round, and I've never seen her be happier about ANYTHING than she was the day in June when she found it right there on the shelf in the diary section, when it usually wouldn't reappear until Thanksgiving, at least!!

    MISS YOU! I want to hang out on a Saturday night and eat pad thai and watch The Office. Next time that happens, consider me RSVP'ed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. coffee creamers make my life happier. in the weirdest, they-shouldn't-have-that-power sort of way. also that's the cutest fleece suit I've ever seen on gracie up there! glad you're starting to feel more normal this week (what even is normal anymore?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? I never buy flavored creamers because they usually gross me out, but I grabbed the peppermint mocha creamer for reasons unknown. And I love it.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. What Pad Thai recipe do you use? I'm a pretty adventurous cook, but pad thai unnerves me. Adorable disGracie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The library <3 I haven't been in so long -- too long. But I have switched back to buying books, instead of buying them on my iPad. Now I desperately want to go to the library...

    I also made Shepard's pie! I think I stole the recipe from your Pinterest board?

    I'm glad that the funk has seemed to pass-- it's (y)our favorite time of year, you shouldn't be anything but happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The library is my happy place. I love to put books on hold and see what comes in first. Planning a trip tonight to return some and pick up some holds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me really happy :) I'm sorry you've had such a rough week prior but so glad you got your family time and lots of books to pick you right back up. The library is awesome- there is one close enough to our house that Jared and I can walk to, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peppermint mocha creamer! I need to attempt that. I can't do the chemically taste of store bought ones, though. It's like drinking a cleaning product. (I imagine)

    Perspective is a kick in the teeth, hey? I'm glad things are turning around.

    Yay for family time! And books!

    Someone tell the babies that we're better at loving them when they sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I second everyone in asking what your recipe is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I second everyone in asking what your recipe is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peppermint mocha creamer has magical powers! I'm so glad things looked up for you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pumpkin spice waffles? You're my hero. Ha! Girl, I can't believe little Grace is in a new carseat! I can imagine your disbelief! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love your blog title. And I'm glad you had a good weekend- it sounds like that's just what you needed! It's strange how such a huge tragedy grabs our shoulders and shakes us from a slump. I've definitely spent the last few days being more aware and more grateful for my life and my loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peppermint mocha is one of my favorite creamers! I also really love the Girl Scout cookie creamers.
    I love that you got to have family time this weekend. You guys are such a cute family.
    Also, I love that you got to spend some alone Mommy time at the library! I am always double (triple, quadruple) looking at all of the books too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually a fan of flavored creamers, but the peppermint mocha has me hooked! I've seen the girl scout ones and I need to try them! I KNEW you would understand my library obsession :)

      Delete
  15. You made pad thai?! I'd love to know more about that. I am so intimidated by the thought of making it. This post made me smile so many times. I always relate to your posts in a huge way (I'm sure you are not surprised). It's amazing how simple setting the world right side up again can be. I'm glad you got what you needed. And now I am itching to go to the library by myself...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurray for simple, happy, togetherness time.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.