12.18.2015

a throne of lies

Even though we think it's all harmless fun, we're not really Santa people. I wasn't going to go out of my way to introduce Gracie to Santa, but one of the maintenance men dressed up as Santa and offered free pictures, and James and I immediately decided we had to go, and I'm so glad we did. They had hot chocolate and cookies and printed us off a few pictures. James and I had the time of our life. Gracie? Not so much, poor girl.
"Wait, you're not Santa..."
"You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa."
"YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!"
Don't worry. We're not coldhearted, evil parents. Less than a split second after this was taken, James scooped her up and she was just fine. It doesn't mean I didn't take several more pictures of her petrified face reaching out for James. It's hilariously tragic, but lasted all of 1 second. We walked home, all hopped up on Christmas, and I think I even saw a snowflake. It was magical. James took a few very terrible pictures of us by the Christmas tree, but Gracie could not be bothered to care since the cat was in the room.


"Gracie, let's take a Christmas picture!"
"Not now, mom, Noel just showed up."

Cats > Christmas 


James finally got her to look at the camera once he started meowing like our cat.

Maybe we should've told Santa to meow too.

17 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE PHOTOS!!! You can see the actual terror in poor Gracie's face in the photo of her looking over at James. I'm so glad he was able to scoop her up but NOT BEFORE you got to capture that moment forever. I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Cats > Christmas for sure! ;) I love your Elf quotes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paisley had the same reaction to Santa. Can't say I blame her, a guy that sees me when I'm sleeping IS pretty creepy. Also, Gracie looks like a mini, chick version of you and I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a terrible person. I think babies crying on Santa's lap is the most hilariously tragic thing ever. Mostly hilarious. We won't be doing the whole Santa thing either but I can't say I would pass up an opportunity like this myself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, good for you for getting her right away, but the photo is a happy outcome haha. I didn't bother taking Amelia last year (thought the same as you, plus she was only 4 months old), but we took her this year. expected tears, but there were none! she was so interested in him! now watch, she'll hate him next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only had to walk down the sidewalk, so it was completely worth it. I'm so glad we went. We probably won't do it again unless she wants to, but it was so fun! I'm curious to see if she's shy again next year.

      Delete
  6. 1) It is funny because when I saw the pic on Instagram I almost commented the cat has her attention. She has cat eyes 😻(I hope that emoji shows up on blogger haha)
    2) Totally adorable! Glad Gracie and parents are having a great first Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It was all Noel! Whenever she's around, Gracie can't take her eyes (or hands) off her.

      Delete
  7. James had to meow? Dying.

    The best Santa pictures are the ones with raging babies. I was too traumatized when I found out there was no Santa that I can't put Parker through that. I'd be tempted to get his picture with Santa if I wasn't so sure that he'd love it. He'd probably just snuggle right up to the big guy then try to rip out his beard. Maybe we could get a picture of Santa crying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. today we met one of Brian's coworkers in the 5 guys after Christmas shopping at target (BLISS) and I turned Reuben to face him. Reuben took one look at him and started screaming at the top of his lungs. It was funny and kinda tragic all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, she is so your daughter - scared of strangers, and in love with the cat. That's amazing. Also, her leggings kill me. They're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha, "A throne of lies." I guess that's essentially what it is :) Discovering that your daughter will look at the camera when the photographer is making cat sounds is an excellent resource, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh she's just so adorable!!!

    also i love crying baby santa pictures. hilarious! does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I love them too! They're so funny and like a childhood rite of passage.

      Delete
  12. Hahaha. Were not big on santa either and I almost shattered my friends, kids dreams by saying that elf on the shelf isn't real. UgH! No one is going to want to hang out with us. Love the crying pictures. Not sure why I find it so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I hate that stupid elf. I'll take Santa over that creepy thing any day. I love the crying pictures too!

      Delete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.