1.13.2016

it's too bad adulthood doesn't have any snow days


Winter decided to hit Ohio out of the blue, like a swift kick in the pants. I was out with friends during the weekend wearing only a thin shirt and suddenly it's below zero. I am in a fleece pajama pants and wool socks heaven. Though let me be real: wrestling a baby into puffy winter coat is a special kind of hell. But that didn't stop us for going out for lunch and ice cream the other day. Gracie ate so much avocado for lunch I decided to give in to her begging and let her sample a little churro ice cream. Mother of the year or worst mom ever, you decide.


A little winter storm blew through our way yesterday. All the local schools were closed, which was super precious because it took twice as much snow to get a snow day when I was in school. I also walked barefoot in the snow uphill both ways. I was so excited to hunker down in our mini-blizzard, until I realized I had been devastatingly wrong the last time I evaluated the diaper stash. I had been meaning to go buy more for days but kept finding excuses to put it off because I thought it could wait. Well, it could be put off no longer as there was only one left. People always tell you to buy bread and milk before a winter storm, but take it from me, buy diapers too. Even if you don't have a baby. Just buy diapers. You might think you have enough, you might think you don't need them, but you could be wrong. The good news is that I finally had a chance to wear my Sorel snow boots my mother-in-law bought for me last winter. I was so excited to wear them until I realized my feet and ankles were too swollen to get them on, and this winter we've had exactly no snow until this week.

We bundled up as if we were going out to face the Alaskan frontier and made it a couple miles down the road to Target during a legitimate blizzard in which I couldn't see more than a few inches in front of the car. We were greeted with an empty store and free hot chocolate from the Starbucks inside. I don't know about you, but I just might forget to buy diapers more often. We frolicked through the store, looking at Valentine's decorations and clearance baby clothes, eventually walking away with snowflake pajamas. They were for Gracie, but I wish they were for me.

We made it home, and I trudged through the snow holding several bags full of baby paraphernalia and cleaning products, a big box of diapers, the diaper bag, and a baby on my hip. A true picture of motherhood. In other news, my arms have been looking pretty good these days. All in all, it was much better than my last trip to buy diapers, in which I had gotten all the way to my car in the parking lot before realizing I left a box of diapers the size of the crib at the checkout counter. The only thing I had bought. Somehow the cashier hadn't even noticed, which is almost worse than the fact that I paid for them and then left them there. Maybe I can blame this all on that mom brain thing I keep hearing so much about?

After our excursion, the day spiraled downhill as quickly as the temperature. I found solace at the end of the evening by lying in bed with my book and a cup of tea. But of course, the murder subplot in the novel I'm reading led to vivid dreams of recording all conversations with James and my dad, trying to figure out who killed a random lady for fun. Once one of them confessed, I texted the secret video confession to the cops, who showed up four seconds later to haul the suspect to prison while I cried and apologized for the betrayal that had to be done. I woke up exhausted from the emotional upheaval and immediately reached over to James in my dazed state to interrogate him about the murder. He wasn't there, and I started to panic that he was in prison for murder until I realized he was just in the shower 20 feet away.

It was a dramatic start to the day.

But at least we have diapers. Which means we'll be staying home today in our pajamas and having a snow day redo. Who wants hot chocolate?

13 comments:

  1. We got hit with the mini blizzard in Athens as well. I'm still on maternity leave so it felt wonderful to know that I didn't need to leave the house. And you could not be more right about bundling a baby and trying to fit them in a car seat. Why did I have a winter newborn?

    and as far as snow days go... I'm pretty sure that's the reason I work in higher education, I just couldn't give up my snow days! Last year Ohio University closed twice... we shall see what this winter brings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, I need a day like that...empty target and free hot chocolate and you made it to the car unscathed?? amazing. speaking of, mom arms are one of my favorite side effects of motherhood. my delts are rock solid right now man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a gift, truly. I tried to soak it all in because I'm sure it will never happen again.

      Dude, mom arms are amazing. Who needs a gym when you have a baby?

      Delete
  3. I am LOLing for real at your murder-confession-arrest dream sequence. LITERAL LOLs.

    We got a dusting of snow yesterday, and everyone in my office was FREAKING OUT. We haven't had much of anything this winter so far, so it started happening and all the sudden everyone forgot how to deal with it!

    BUT REALLY, next time you and Gracie go out to have ice cream for lunch, please give me a heads up. I will make the 12 hour drive for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I'm going to start buying diapers now whenever we get a blizzard. We got DUMPED on last Friday and I was out running and two miles away from home when it started. I could barely keep my eyes open because the snowflakes were in my eyes. haha

    And yeah, snow days in Utah just don't happen. I think we had ONE when I was really little and that snowstorm was unreal. I also had to walk barefoot to school, uphill both ways, in massive blizzards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You finally got to wear the boots!!! Huzzah!

    Snow days definitely don't happen in Alaska. I have to laugh every time I see pictures of "snow storms" in the south and basically the entire state where said "storm" is happening shuts down and I'm like...you don't even need 4WD for that, fools.

    I love your dream. I had a ridiculous one last night too involving a pen pal I had when I was a kid and some miracle shampoo she was trying to get me to use to solve my thinning hair problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best dreams! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're so mild and tame compared to when I was pregnant! No wonder I wake up so exhausted.

      Delete
  7. Your storytelling skills are brilliant. I am now obsessed with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dream is so hiliarious. And really intense.

    I absolutely detest blizzard driving. Living in Michigan, it was kind of a part of life when you have to get to school or work, but obviously just staying home is ideal. Here, I pretty much don't drive (my excuse is we only have the one car plus driving in Malaysia is even worse than blizzard driving, only the problem here is traffic and motorbikes). Glad the diaper run went okay though, that's a bad thing to run out of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha. I'm glad that, in the end, you got some free hot chocolate and replenished your diaper supply. Dang girl, I have those crazy real but fake, heart stopping dreams, too. This Ohio weather is crazy but I love it, and any excuse to roam Target- even in a blizzard- is a good excuse :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wandering through Target during a snowstorm sounds like such a cozy, relaxing outing. However, getting there and back in the aforementioned snow would ruin any sort of relaxation for me. I give you major kudos for your brave winter driving skills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really miss blizzards, I do. Instead I have to drive to work in the rain every day. Do you remember that drought thing? Yeah, it's over. It hasn't stopped raining her for 3 weeks. A snowstorm and hot chocolate sound divine right now. And also, buying diapers, because it usually means that there's a baby waiting nearby to be snuggled. Winning.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.