2.08.2016

I made you a mixtape

I always love when people post music they're listening to. I lap up music suggestions like a bowl of ice cream. A few friends have asked me for music recommendations lately, so I thought I would compile all my favorites and share with the rest of the world in case you need some new music to love, too.

I've been super slack lately about finding new music. I've discovered a few new people, but mostly I've been relying on some old favorites. Not long after I started my last job three years ago, I made a playlist to get me through those long afternoons of rifling through court documents. Lord Huron and Leagues will forever remind me of break room coffee and rush hour. I nabbed some of my favorites from that playlist and included a lot of songs that got me through those warm, spring newborn days. Every evening when James was working, I would take Gracie on long, sunset walks through the neighborhood just to get us out of the house. She would sleep while I would dance on the sidewalk to Alabama Shakes, The Kooks, and Shakey Graves while pushing the stroller. Those are my favorite memories of those early days. For some reason, putting on Jamestown Revival would help me stop throwing up while I was pregnant. Once the worst of the morning sickness passed, the sound of them would actually make me throw up. I couldn't listen to them for about 6 months after Gracie was born, but now we're good. I could make this playlist 5 times longer, but we'll stick with this for now. These are the songs have gotten me through many seasons, past and present, both hard and good, and I will love these songs forever. Enjoy! 



What else should I listen to? Tell me. I need ideas!

13 comments:

  1. THIS PLAYLIST = <3

    The bros, Shakey, Mumford. Shovels & Rope-- ALL OF IT. Killer. Thank you for this and BRB while I save it to my own personal Spotify account so I can listen to it at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love when people share playlists! I put them on and listen to them at work. Electric Love isn't typically my kind of music but I'm OBSESSED with that song! Garret Borns reminds me of William Beckett from The Academy Is... hahaha! How into country-type music are you? I'm a huge fan of Chris Stapleton's album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Alabama Shakes! They put me in a good mood. And The Kooks, too. Lord Huron makes me want to hike the Appalachian Trail. And I saw Jamestown Revival live when they opened for Brandi Carlile. SO, SO GOOD. I'm glad you are helping spread the word about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I listen to them all the time and whenever I need to pump myself up. So jealous you saw Jamestown Revival. They seem like they would be amazing live.

      Delete
    2. Random question based on prior knowledge- Have you ever heard Ben Folds' song, "The Luckiest"? I know you are a fan of his- and I absolutely LOVE that song. I first heard it because it's featured on the soundtrack to the movie "About Time" (which, for the record, is one of my favorite movies. I love it because of the British setting and the endearing leads and the message of the movie which is universal and insanely human. If you haven't seen it- PLEASE- go watch it). Even though I adore all parts of the movie, the music might be my favorite part. "The Luckiest" was redone for the movie and it fits the themes perfectly. It makes me cry. If I didn't already have "I Will" by The Beatles picked as a wedding song, this would be a contender. I feel like you would appreciate it, too.

      Delete
    3. YES and I love that song! Ben Folds just gets it. About Time sounds so familiar but I don't think I've seen it. If you recommend it, I am confident I'll love it too.

      Delete
  4. I am just going to listen to this while I do homework for the next two hours. :) Because I too, love getting music suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to check a few of these out...but I must say I am happy to see Smoke and Jackal made it onto your list. I feel like not many people know about them and they're so great.

    I tried to find you on Spotify to stalk your playlists but I could not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot my "suggestions" part...Odesza, Metric, The Chainsmokers, and the new(ish) Death Cab album. I've also been listening to a lot of old favorites lately...Snow Patrol, Bailiff, Vanaprasta, The Civil Wars...

      Delete
  6. Yes, yes, yes! Mixtapes FTW. I've been in a rut since Rdio shut down and all of my mixtapes disappeared! I'll have to use Spotify-- good thinking.

    Excuse me while I listen to these songs all afternoon <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found your blog via Candace's so I thought I'd say hi! :) Thanks for these suggestions! I'm always looking for new music to listen to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been OBSESSED with Electric Love lately. I sing it to Ammon all the time. He thinks it's the best (or at least, he sarcastically thinks it's the best). I try to listed to music at work, but whenever I put my earbuds in, people legitimately disrupt me every 30 seconds. I can't even anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to get nauseous too when listening to music I had listened to when I had morning sickness! Funny how your brain remembers that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.