2.17.2016

the annual february funk

 


I've been in such a funk lately. I think it's the weather. I know it's the weather! I'm tired of all my music, I'm tired of the tv (which is rarely on, but when it is on I'm instantly annoyed), the dry air is giving me a sore throat and itchy skin, and every cold front gives me a pounding headache. Even my hair is annoying me. Everything feels as grey as the weather outside. I think I get this way to an extent toward the end of every winter, but it is bad this year. All my old anti-funk standbys (reading, writing, kitchen dance parties, chocolate) are failing me. Every time I've decided TODAY IS THE DAY I start running again (I neeeeeed those endorphins, man), something comes up as soon as James comes home, and I wind up in bed with a pounding headache or something of the sort. It's hard being cooped up all day with a baby. Some days it's just too cold or snowy to go anywhere or there's nowhere to go that doesn't sound like an insta-headache. After days on end of frigid temperatures, the toys lose their appeal, the cabin fever sets in, the sweatpants start to feel like a personal insult, and I think we both want a time out from each other. I've decided that for this phase of life, I'm ready to hang up my I Love Winter hat. The snow will always hold a special place in my heart, but right now my sanity, and that of my child, is more important. I never thought I would be excited for summer.

Last week was rough. Another growth spurt and two teeth turned our house upside-down. There were many tears and not much sleep. Her last growth spurt was the week of Christmas. Why they all must coincide with holidays, I will never understand, but I will use it as another reason to guilt her into making me breakfast in bed when she's older. I was also in the throes of reading The Nightingale last week, and it was perfect timing. That book rocked me. The Occupation! The Holocaust! Hiding little Jewish babies! I was wiping tears from my eyes every time I read it. I know it was fiction, but WWII really happened, and people were doing everything they could to feed their children. It was exactly what I needed to read while I was battling frustration over my cranky child. We were warm and safe and well-fed, and it put everything into perspective for me. I've been chewing on the story ever since and looking at my life with new appreciation.

Until Valentine's Day, that is. It started terribly and I nearly ran away from home. It finally started to turn around when James surprised me with a coffee and made us a homemade pizza for lunch. During this season of life, a fancy Valentine's date is somewhat impossible, so instead I decided I would just make us a spectacularly delicious comfort food dinner of roast, creamy mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, and a chocolate cake (with red sprinkles--important!). We had dinner and drinks by a roaring fire in the fireplace and watched Friends and Downton Abbey while our littlest valentine slept in her crib upstairs and it snowed outside. Twas wonderful.

I'm still in a bit of a funk this week, but at least I have leftovers.

18 comments:

  1. Girrrrl....I feel ya on this winter funk thing! I love winter but I am also ready for some sunshine!
    I think that sounds like the perfect Valentine's Day! We made wedge salads because for some reason we were REALLY craving them(weird, I know) and watched Leap Year (because who doesn't love a love story that takes place in Ireland?!?!)
    Also, I want to read that book. Well, every book for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some warmth! Some flowers! I'm spiraling downward quickly without it. Wedge salads and Leap Year sound amazing!

      READ IT. Let's talk about it. I want to read it again already.

      Delete
  2. I'm ready for it too warm up enough to go for walks. I'm ready for the weather to commit to either being super snowy or melting. Enough with the icy in between!

    We also had a romantic Valentine's weekend of sitcoms, cake and pizza. Great minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You read the Nightingale!! I'm so glad, it is so incredible! It really did put so much in perspective for me too. I kept thinking about them in the freezing winter and the stupid commander taking all their blankets and them shivered up together in one bed. Such a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nightingale is waiting on my Kindle... and I'm in need of a new book to read! Might just have to open that up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the winter funk. I'm tired of the cold, the darkness, the weeks without sunshine, the snow. I am counting down the days until Daylight Savings Time (March 13th!!!) and I hope things go up from there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter funk is so real!! SO REAL. The thing that makes me the happiest, even if it is only for a couple minutes every evening- is looking out the window and knowing the sun is staying up just a little bit longer than it was on the day before. That soothes my soul-- knowing longer, less grey days are coming.

    ALSO, that picture of you looking at Gracie up there-- I can't take it. PRECIOUS. I would also like to know where Gracie got her hat and coat and if they make them in adult sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was almost 60 degrees here yesterday! It was gorgeous and this morning I awoke to gale force winds and rain. It's going to turn to snow around 11. I love winter. I love the snow and snowboarding, but I'm with you on this. That little taste of sunshine and warmth gave me a perma-smile yesterday and then as quickly as it came, it was blown out. And I have to run six miles in whatever hell-storm is headed our way tonight. I need a winter home in CA for days like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I. AM. WITH YOU. My head hurts CONSTANTLY. I'm so sick of finding dry patches of skin. And if my nose starts running for the fun of it ONE MORE TIME, I'm going to snap.



    Please pass the leftovers :)

    AND LEMME SNUGGLE GRACIE. Also, does her jacket come in my size?

    ReplyDelete
  9. pity me, i have never been in a winter season before!
    but i do hear a lot from colleagues who lives in europe, that they get annoyed over winter after few weeks!

    hope u will feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually love winter, but it's exhausting this year! Enjoy your warmth :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Ughhh, funks are so frustrating! I can't imagine dealing with my own funk AND the funk of a teething/home-bound baby. Good thing she's super-duper cute! I hope you both feel a refreshing sense of energy soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the annoying person who isn't in a funk this time of year for the first time ever. I'm in that pregnant and feeling really good stage where I just love everyone and everything HA! I know I need to enjoy it while it lasts and before I turn into the size of a house ;) Leftovers and that fire look like perfection though- I hope you shake the funk soon, and for everyone's sake I hope Spring shows up sooner rather than later. Also- Gracie is your twin. Does everyone think that?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must had been in the air, because this last week was killer for me too. With a toddler throwing up, a baby who decided to stop napping, and just the general day to day things of life I almost ran away too. Alas I'm still here. But I sit here silently rejoicing in the fact that the baby has taken not 1 but 2 decent naps today! Hopefully your week is looking up too. Also it's only one more day till the weekend and reinforcements (daddy) arrive to ease the burden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually get march funks. they are exactly as you describe. just the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My birthday is in March, or I'm sure I would feel exactly the same way!

      Delete
  14. That sounds like a great Valentine's Day to me! I'd rather do that than go out to a packed, overpriced restaurant anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Winter funks are real, man. And I get what you mean about every time to try to start being healthy again, something pops up - it happens to me all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.