4.08.2016

it took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip


Back in the good old days before my parents moved and they were unloading all my childhood things on me, I found my old sketchbook. I've never been even slightly artistic and I've never been under any illusions that I am, but that didn't stop me. The book is full of horse drawings from my old favorite "How to Draw Horses" book, a picture of my middle school, and a few self-portraits,  because before Instagram existed, we had to actually draw our selfies with a pencil and paper.

Anyway. There's one particular picture which I thought was SUPER GOOD at the ripe old age of 11, but when I re-discovered it at 26 I had to hold on to a piece of furniture so I didn't fall over laughing.

Please notice the tattoo choker.


For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what this picture reminded me of, but I knew it reminded me of something. It's been bothering me for weeks.

Well.

Last night, James and I were up super late because we were laying in bed quoting Napoleon Dynamite and laughing (marriage!). And then it hit me. Trisha! All I'm saying is, I think Napoleon and I must've taken the same art classes.




As you can see, I still have to practice my upper lip shading.

13 comments:

  1. You know what literally just went through my brain like a half hour ago:
    "I hope Michelle makes a blog post. I really need a laugh soon."
    Mission accomplished. Thanks for reading all of the best friend vibes I was sending your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I must've gotten them, because I wasn't going to post today until I suddenly got a burst of inspiration.

      Delete
  2. I recognized the quote immediately :) And I'm so amused that you and your husband lay in bed quoting Napoleon Dynamite. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Hahahha- Trisha for the win indeed!! Especially loving the tattoo choker touch-- so 90s! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha art is hard. I have my moments of artistic spirit and creativity but I stay far, far away from faces...people who can draw faces astonish me. Faces are why cameras exist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha I love this. You need get Gracie some art supplies stat so you can get started passing on those talented artistic genes! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely work on that shading. And maybe adding your name in block letters might help, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY WORD - this is amazing! I am NOT good at drawing either but it never stops me from trying - its so fun and such a stress reliever. So is coloring! Oh my goodness that movie is ridiculously stupid-funny, if you know what I mean!

    I also don't understand how chokers are coming back. ???? no. please no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahah that's hilarious. It also reminds me of like, an As Told By Ginger character? For some reason?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all about the shading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it scary that those chokers are back in style and cost, like, $15 each?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.