4.05.2016

the first time I ever had something in common with a frat boy






On Saturday, when Gracie and I were at our wits end, I realized we hadn't left the house in a solid five days. It explained everything about our moods (though the snow probably didn't help). Once I recovered from mastitis, we both came down with colds, and thus we hibernated. I decided this week would be different, and sniffly or not, we would leave the house as much as we could. Usually that would mean the park and long neighborhood walks, but the beginning of April seemed to signal the beginning of winter, so we got creative.

There's a record store on the Ohio State campus I've been wanting to go to for a long time. It's a hassle to get to, so I wrote it off for awhile, but I started thinking about it again the other day. We woke up yesterday to a cold, rainy day, but we rallied. I threw a roast and veggies in the crock pot, grabbed the ergo (because I'm not a regular mom, I'm a ~cool~ mom), and off we went.

I have a thing for college campuses. I love them. A college bookstore is one of my favorite things in the world. I have no explanation for this. I want to sniff the textbooks and fondle the clothing and sift through the pens. When I was younger, it would make me excited for college, but now it makes me nostalgic. I would never want to go to college again, but it's fun to think about.  What classes would I take? What would I do differently? I pondered this while I drove through side streets of gorgeous, stately homes that have been rented out and taken over by drunken students. I found us a meter and parked out front of a frat house. The meter still had plenty of time on it. The stars had aligned. We went to the store and flipped through stacks and racks of vintage records. I audibly gasped when I found not one, but TWO records I've been hunting for for years that I couldn't find at a reasonable price. But here they were, right in front of me, for $1. I openly wept. And all God's people said Amen.

I wanted to stay for hours searching through every bin and rack, but it was lunchtime and Gracie wasn't letting me forget. We walked a few blocks to the car, dodging curious glances from students wondering what a lady with a baby strapped to her was doing in the middle of campus. I kind of loved it. It was like a visual reminder to them not to party too hard, or this might be their future. A GOOD future, but not one you want when you have homework due in the morning.

We got to the car and I nursed Gracie because she was not going to make it home in one piece otherwise. Nursing a baby in front of a frat house is officially the strangest place I've nursed a baby. I'm not sure many other people can boast this one. Visions of the show Greek were dancing in my head. I put my head down and tried not to laugh whenever anyone walked past. I was not a partier in college, so it took me until age 27 to partially undress at a frat house. While Gracie was mid-lunch appetizer, a dude in absolutely nothing but his boxers ran toward the frat house, his shaggy bedhead trailing behind him. He was chuckling to himself and nervously checking his surroundings to make sure no one saw him. No one saw him except the mom in the black Honda also in a state of slight undress. Solidarity, dude. It was the classic run of shame, John Tucker style. Finally, someone in a more compromising situation than I was in. But this is a college campus we're talking about, so it's probably not that unusual. But it was incredibly entertaining.

I'm telling you: sometimes it pays to leave the house when you're not feeling like it.

17 comments:

  1. That record store looks DREAMY. I love nothing more than some $1 records!!

    I feel the same way about college campuses. There's something about them!! I did a charity walk on my college campus a few summers back, and the whole time I was like -- MY SOUL IS NEW. I MUST RE-ENROLL. BUT I MUST PICK A MORE MARKETABLE MAJOR THIS TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up!
    I also have a thing for college bookstores. In fact, I never waited until the start of the new quarter to get my books. I always made a special trip on breaks. In fact, one time my mom and grandma went with me. Granny wanted to just stay out in the car, and seeing as she had dementia, mom locked her in. Well, the meter maid came by to say that we hadn't parked close enough to the curb so my grandma opened the door and the car alarm went off. Never a dull moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *jumps in her car, drives to Ohio to go to that record store* When I saw your IG post from here, I melted into a pool of jealousy. You scored some great finds, too!

    I sometimes think I should work for a college, and make up for the fact that I didn't live on campus by spending 40 hours a week on one. The college that Kelsey went to is beautiful and I kick myself whenever I drive by it because I didn't go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shuuuuuut up. I've never been to that record store but now I must GO! I didn't even know it existed! Have you been to that multiple room book store in the German Village? It's pretty neat to go on a summer day because they have all the doors and windows open (and Jeni's is right down the street!).
    That's a fantastic story. It's definitely the ultimate nursing story. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an awesome $1 record store in Vermont that Kelsey and Alissa and I found when exploring last year. We've gone back twice since then just to check up on new stock. Last time I went in I found the Bing Crosby Christmas album I have been looking for FOREVER and I was PUMPED. There is also a cool-vibes brew pub with killer Shepard's Pie down the street. I feel like we need to hit it up soon....wanna meet us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Alissa or Kelsey mentioning that store and I think I physically salivated. And the pub with Shepard's Pie? You are speaking my language so hard right now.

      Delete
  6. LOL- I love it!! And also SCORE on the record deals!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally with you on that. I LOVE a good college campus and obviously a new sweatshirt from the bookstore. I am
    Jealous of where you live, it seems like you have such fun places around you!

    I am glad you recovered from mastitis, it certainly isn't an easy time! I know exactly what you mean when you are talking about your moods from not leaving the house. I have been so nervous to venture out with just me and the 2 babies... Maybe today is the day I get brave! After all, I do need dish washer pods.

    Mom side note... I have the Tula carrier, it's honestly so nice. It doesn't pinch at all and you can wear it on your back as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Columbus does have a lot of awesome places! I love living here.

      You can do it!! You are brave. It took me so long to work up the courage to take Gracie out alone.

      I've heard really good things about the Tula! Whenever I try to put Gracie in a carrier, she wants to wiggle out after 15 minutes or so. I think we're just not carrier kind of people.

      Delete
  8. You are so HIP with your records! That store is so cool!! Glad you found a deal, that's always the best after you've been holding out for so long.

    I've had a similar experience, being caught outside my apartment in only my underwear. Good times. Makes me miss college. Oh wait, I'm still in it. -__-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent almost all my breaks between classes at the college bookstore, party animal that I am ;) I don't know what it is either but I still get the urge to buy school supplies and a hoodie every time fall rolls around. Sounds like a great day, Ben has been sick for the past two weeks with an ear infection and is now teething and crabby not to mention its 32 degrees right now so...boo. I can't wait to get out of the house at least for a walk although I might just hop on over to Ann Arbor and browse a few bookstores myself :) there's one called The Dawn Treader that I love! Also, glad you're feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh you poor thing. A sick, teething baby is the worst. That's what we've had over here too. It's supposed to be in the 30s this weekend and I could cry. Bookstores make a world of difference :)

      Delete
  10. I HAVE PUMPED IN THE PARKING LOT OF A FRAT HOUSE. Twinsies.

    I have to stay away from college campuses. They make me feel way too nostalgic. And old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, this made me really miss THE Ohio State University! My husband went to grad school there, and he periodically took our oldest (I think she was 3 or 4 then) to campus for the day to check out the bookstore, eat at the By-the-Numbers cafe, and go see his research lab. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.