5.27.2016

73 questions

Thank you so much for the encouragement on Tuesday's post. There's something powerful about admitting you're struggling, having other people admit the same thing, and helping each other through it. Blogging can be an amazing thing.

Apparently Vogue does this video interview series with celebrities called 73 Questions. Rachel posted a blog version, and I thought it might be a fun Friday post. 

  1. What are you most excited about these days? Visiting Sarah next week, my parents after that, concerts and weddings after that, and exploring new parts of the country. 
  2. Favorite holiday? CHRISTMAS IS EVERYTHING TO ME. You probably know this already.
  3. Favorite season? Hand me a mustard cardigan and brown boots, because FALL.
  4. Recent hobby? Is walking a hobby? Now that the weather is consistently warm, I feel all out of sorts if I don't get my daily long walk in. Unfortunately, I am now covered in mosquito bites and probably infected with the Zika virus.
  5. If you could switch lives with someone for a day, who would it be? Someone who is on vacation.
  6. If you could have coffee with someone from the past, who would it be? Matthew Henry. I've been reading his Bible commentary from the 1600s, and whew. You guys, he's blowing me away.
  7. What’s the best thing that happened this year? Celebrating Gracie's first birthday.
  8. What’s the best way to decompress? Baking, going on a walk while listening to good music, taking a bath, planting flowers, and reading with a cup of coffee. Any or all of these will do just fine.
  9. What’s the weirdest word in the English language? KERFUFFLE. Doesn't that word just cheer you up?
  10. If you had one superpower, what would it be? Teleporting.
  11. Who do you miss most? My family. 
  12. Who was the last person to text you? My friend Colleen. We're discussing the humidity. Which is horrible.
  13. Who are three people, alive or dead, that you would have dinner with? Miranda Hart, Corrie Ten Boom, and Elisabeth Elliot. 
  14. Last book you read? Lilac Girls
  15. Book you plan on reading? The Lakehouse and An Echo in the Darkness are currently waiting for me on my green side table.
  16. Book you read because everyone else in the world was reading it? The Hunger Games trilogy. A friend from work eventually bullied my into it. 
  17. A book from your childhood that positively shaped you? Authentic Beauty by Leslie Ludy
  18. Favorite tv show that’s currently on tv? New Girl. 
  19. Favorite ice cream? Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough...or anything from Jeni's.
  20. What makes you smile the most? When James sits down next to me, grabs my hand, looks deep into my eyes, and says "how about we get take-out tonight?"
  21. First pet? Muffin the Chihuahua. My parents gave him to me for my 7th birthday. My first grade teacher once asked everyone who has a brother to raise their hands. I raised my hand, fully counting Muffin as my brother. Only child probs.
  22. Worst subject in school? Probably chemistry. It was math when I was in high school, but to my shock I aced my college math classes. Maybe I was just a late math bloomer? That or because my math professor didn't make fun of my bad grades to the class like a certain high school math teacher did. But one glance at the periodic table will still make me burst into tears. 
  23. Favorite game? Scrabble or Apples to Apples
  24. Coolest thing in the world? What really IS the internet?!?!
  25. Cutest thing in the world? My kid, obviously. 
  26. Favorite thing in the world? My family all in one room.
  27. One talent you wish you had? Singing. I mean, I can carry a tune, but how fun would it be to sing like Adele?
  28. One thing you still have from your childhood? Photo albums and journals. I could be easily blackmailed if those were to ever fall in the wrong hands.
  29. What’s your patronus? I have literally no clue what this means. 
  30. Last song you listened to on your phone? Lost in My Mind-The Head and the Heart
  31. Favorite song lyrics? "It is well with my soul."
  32. What song would you probably be caught dancing alone to? I was once caught dancing to Pony while brushing my teeth. Don't you dare tell anyone.
  33. If you could work the runway, what song would it be? To what kind of song does one work a runway? Let's go with Tightrope by Janelle Monae. 
  34. Best gift you’ve ever given? A few years ago I searched through several antique stores looking for a specific vintage pyrex bowl for my mom. I finally found it in the back room of an antique store, stashed on a shelf behind a table. It was so much fun to surprise her with it for Christmas.
  35. Fashion icon? My toddler. Seriously. Cat shirts, leggings, and a ponytail. The life.
  36. What did you wear to your prom? A hot pink halter fit and flare dress. I loved that dress, and it's the reason I chose that style for my wedding dress (minus the halter, because this is no longer 2006).
  37. Who was your date to your prom? A guy from another school who worked backstage when I was in South Pacific. 
  38. Favorite movie of all time? White Christmas. My love of this movie is unending, and I watch it all year round. Speaking of, I might just go turn that on now... 
  39. Favorite movie of the last five years? I have no idea--I haven't seen a lot of movies in the past few years. Unbroken? Brooklyn?
  40. Movie that made you cry? I'm drawing a blank! I try to avoid movies that might make me cry. 
  41. Movie that made you laugh the hardest? Bridesmaids. Also: Napoleon Dynamite. It gets funnier every time.
  42. If you could make a documentary, what would it be about? Something history-related.
  43. Favorite TV show? The Office
  44. If you could make a cameo in any TV show what would it be? Gilmore Girls! I would sell my elbow to be able to pretend to live in Stars Hollow. 
  45. Best plot twist of all time? July 22, 2014. The positive pregnancy test. Dun dun dun.
  46. Twitter or Instagram? Depends on the day. I've been gravitating more to Instagram lately. 
  47. Who should everyone be following right now? Whoever doesn't beg you to follow them on snapchat or post a hundred hashtags.
  48. Favorite food? Pizza, hands down. I am easily pleased.
  49. Favorite dessert? Tiramisu or cheesecake. Or Tiramisu cheesecake (it's a thing and it will destroy you in the best way).
  50. Favorite band? The Avett Brothers
  51. Favorite solo artist? Jamie Cullum with Ben Folds a close second
  52. If you could sing a duet with anyone, who would it be? Jamie! And we could play a duet on the piano too? Oh my gosh, I'm getting worked up just thinking about it. 
  53. What would be the title of your autobiography? Where Did that Bruise Come From? Ok, that makes me sound like a domestic violence victim when in reality I just walk into things a lot. 
  54. Favorite sound? Waves crashing on the beach.
  55. Least favorite sound? EATING SOUNDS. Blech. I'm gagging just thinking about it. 
  56. Favorite animal? Horses. I've been obsessed with them my whole life.
  57. First celebrity crush? Jonathan Taylor Thomas? The guy who played Bernard on The Santa Clause? (should I admit that?)
  58. Current celebrity crush? I'm a married woman! But if you had a gun to my head, I'd go with Benedict Cumberbatch. Tall, scrawny, and accents must be my thing.
  59. What is your kryptonite? Lately, sugar. I don't want to talk about it.
  60. Guilty pleasure? The Bachelor/ette. I swore up, down, and all around that I would never watch it. The concept is awful! But then I found myself losing my mind with a crying newborn, and I happened to have my TV on ABC when Kaitlyn's season premiered last year, and I didn't have the energy to change the channel. And suddenly I found myself needing to know what would happen next. And that's the secret I've been keeping for the past year.
  61. Most proud moment? Giving birth. It's such a common occurrence, but I've never felt closer to being a superhero. 
  62. Biggest weakness? Baby clothes sales. I am so good at not spending money on frivolous things, but the second I see a romper on clearance I lose all self-control. It's all the fun of retail therapy with none of the body issues.
  63. Skill still unmastered? Playing the guitar.
  64. What is the definition of misery? Feeling like you've hit rock bottom with nowhere to turn. Also: taking care of a teething baby. Either/or.
  65. Biggest learning experience? Marriage and motherhood.
  66. What is your idea of a perfect date? Pizza and Netflix! I kid, though that is approaching perfection. Dinner and a concert would have to be the way to my heart.
  67. An experience when you felt the most nervous? Whenever I performed alone on stage. I still get jittery thinking about piano recitals. I was once so nervous I played the song perfectly, but in the wrong octave. 
  68. At what age were you the happiest? I think the age of 19-20 was my last vestige of total carefree happiness. 
  69. What’s one vice you wish you could give up? Coffee. I just can't. The only reason I could do it while pregnant was because the smell made me puke.
  70. If you could teach a college course, what would it be called? Nonfiction writing. Gimme.
  71. If you could star in any movie remake, what would it be? White Christmas! I grew up fantasizing about singing like Rosemary and dancing like Vera.
  72. If you were an Olympic athlete, what would your event be? Taking pictures of people without them knowing. If all else fails, I could always be a paparazzi. 
  73. If you could offer your 13-year-old self one piece of advice, what would it be? Step away from the frosted eyeshadow, glitter belts, and bubble shirts, Michelle. Step away.

14 comments:

  1. I always felt like I knew you, but now I ~REALLY~ know you. And I cannot stop laughing at what you said about the title of your future autobiography.

    I miss doing surveys like this!!! Takes me back my MySpace days. And remember when people used to go crazy doing "notes" on Facebook? I have so many from 2008-2010 that I have since shame-deleted. SO MANY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And alllllllll the heart eyes in the world for your favorite band. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. I lol'd re: James taking your hand and asking if you want to get takeout. I need a man like that in my life!

    But, really, I loved reading this. Like Kelsey said, it brought me back to MySpace days! EXCUSE ME WHILE I STEAL IT...

    (also #29 is a Harry Potter reference!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. Tiramisu cheesecake is a thing? Be still my beating heart!

    p.s. I never took chemistry. My high school required three science courses, so I took earth science, biology, and physiology. My physiology course's curriculum included this book: http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0321832019. It was a great way to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Napoleon Dynamite too! I still quote it all the time & Nick just rolls his eyes at me. Our neighborhood does this stupid app thing & on your profile there is an area for your "skills", I most certainly put nunchaku. I got a kick out of it, but not Nick. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE. THIS. also, white christmas, year round, yes. thank you Netflix for feeding the addiction! this might be a weird thing, but because we basically know everything about each other (at least the important things), have you ever seen "the great british bake-off"? it's on Netflix and Prime and airs on PBS and it's basically the best thing ever in the whole world. I've watched the whole first season 2.5 times. it's so british and so much good baking, I think you'd love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you would recommend that PROVES you understand me! And yes! I've watched them all. It does something good for me deep down in my soul. WHAT A DELIGHT.

      Delete
  6. Thoughts while reading this:
    ...I would also like to switch lives with someone that's on vacation.
    ...YUM to chocolate chip cookie dough AND Jeni's.
    ...you totally disappointed my Harry Potter loving heart on #29.
    ...I love White Christmas, too!
    ...Do you have a Snap Chat??
    ...I hate that I'm watching the Bachelorette this season. I have never watched it before and I hate that I'm watching it now. UGH
    I think I'm going to steal these questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes for White Christmas!! And baby clothes sales... Ugh, don't open your email this weekend with all the Memorial Day sales. I have already thought about going up to the outlets 10 times today and it's not even noon. I wish we could go for walks together!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally walked into a store and was taken advantage of by a storewide 50% off sale. UGH.

      I wish we could walk together too!

      Delete
  8. #29 made me burst out laughing and then slightly die a little. I love you and your disinterest in Harry Potter.

    Also, I COMPLETELY forgot about my crush on Bernard until this very moment. I watched that movie for him.

    Luckily, my mom said those exact words to me on #73. For the most part, she saved me from the frosted eye shadow and glitter belts. But she could not keep me from the bubble shirts. SHE TRIED, bless her heart, she tried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was fun to read. It sounds like Muffin was a very loved little dog. And you don't know what a patronus is? From Harry Potter? My girls would be scandalized at the very idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could forget that I like coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read the Hunger Games, out of stubbornness. Scrabble and Apples to Apples are the best ever, although, also, Balderdash is, but I can never convince anyone to play Balderdash with me.
    Bubble shirts were bad, but the really terrible thing is that it must have been an adult who designed them? I don't blame the teenagers, but the inventor should have known better.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.