5.31.2016

memorial day weekend: storms, parties, and why I'm no longer scared to answer the front door



Hey, hi, how are you? How was your weekend? Were you one of those people who went to cookouts and pool parties or were you the person yelling at everyone to somberly remember the reason you're eating hotdogs and wearing a red, white, and blue bathing suit? I'm kidding, I'm kidding. God bless our veterans, past and present.

Our weekend started bright and early Saturday morning. I stumbled downstairs in my pajamas and pulled my bedhead back into a terrible looking bun. At 8am I was sipping on some coffee and watching the news while G played on my lap when I heard the familiar FaceTime jingle. I looked at my phone--it wasn't me. I assumed the reporter on tv forgot to silence his phone. A few minutes later, there was a loud knock on the door. I immediately crouched down and whisper-shouted to James "Are we in trouble???" Which is obviously the most logical assumption when someone knocks on the door. I ducked down even further when he walked to the door, terrified it would be someone with a gun or a shady looking fellow trying to get us to switch energy companies.

It was neither of those.

It was a girl, standing in front of my house with a bouquet of flowers and candy, asking "does a Michelle live here?"

Trust me, I was as confused as you are.

I held G and positioned her so the girl in question hopefully wouldn't be able to tell that I wasn't wearing a bra and slowly walked to the door. I recognized the girl immediately but couldn't figure out why. Then I looked down to our patio furniture to see her phone propped up on a table, with Whitney on FaceTime. And suddenly all the pieces came together and I screamed so loud I woke up the entire neighborhood. Whitney's sister happened to be in town, and Whitney told her to visit me and bring me gifts. IT WAS THE SURPRISE OF A LIFETIME. I've known Whitney through blogging for years (which is how I recognized her sister, since she writes about her a lot), and she is the sweetest and nicest and most delightful and encouraging person. Her emails and comments always have me either near tears or laughter, sometimes both. I want nothing more than to hang out with her someday. I've been so disillusioned with the internet and many of the people on it lately, and it was such a good reminder that a lot of good comes from the internet, too. So thank you, Whitney and Mariah! I love you both!

Once I recovered from that shock of a lifetime, G and I gussied ourselves up and drove an hour north for a tea party wedding shower. The last time I had been in the building holding the shower, I was a senior in high school and performing with show choir at a Christmas party. The shower was right during Gracie's typical nap time, so I was a bit stressed, but she was a trooper as usual. I got to catch up with some old friends, some I haven't seen since high school. I braced myself for the shower games, something I dread more than anything, and a friend of mine was thrilled as she is the self-proclaimed queen of wedding shower games. I'm pleased to say I swiftly dethroned her and won myself a fancy teacup and saucer full of Lindt truffles, which I may or may not be snacking on right now. It was a word game; I would've been ashamed of myself for life if I didn't win!



When we walked outside a few hours later to drive home, I saw black clouds barreling straight toward us. Normally I would've been thrilled, but driving in inclement weather is one of my least favorite things in the world. I changed G's diaper and got her strapped in the carseat, watching the wall of rain get closer by the second with thunder rumbling overhead. As soon as I closed my door and put my seatbelt on, the rain hit. It was insane. I drove a quarter mile down the road before I decided to pull over. The wipers were going full speed, and I still couldn't see a foot in front of the car. I pulled into the first parking lot I came to, and of course it was full of enormous propane tanks, which is probably not the safest place to be if lightning strikes. I sat a minute and eventually got back on the road. I merged onto the highway, thinking all was well, but all was not well. It rained like it's never rained before. I was TERRIFIED. I couldn't see anything. I knew I needed to pull over, but there wasn't a good spot. Lighting touched down right in front of my car, and that was all the motivation I needed to yank the steering wheel to the right while screaming my head off. I pulled over and waited out the rest of the storm. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO SCARED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. Poor James heard all about it as I huddled in the car on the side of the road, regaling him with my harrowing tale of survival.

As you can see, it was quite the eventful Saturday.

We went to church on Sunday, and Gracie was thrilled to be back in the nursery, playing with toys and other babies. My shy little girl is slowly turning into a social butterfly. I'm so proud of her I could cry. James and I made some important discoveries around the house. Here's a Homemaking 101 tip from me to you: take your bikes out of the dining room, and it will feel 5x bigger. Crazy how that works, isn't it? We also discovered that the baby monitor reaches the pool. So yeah, I think you can see where I'm going with that one. I'm excited to put that little piece of information to good use.





I spent Monday morning reading by the pool, and it was heavenly. The management held a big cookout in what is technically our front yard. While Gracie was down for her nap, James and I got some free food. If we're going to be stuck here another summer, we might as well enjoy it as much as we can, and I enjoyed my cupcake with the electric blue icing that turned my whole mouth blue for the rest of the day, no matter how many times I brushed my teeth. Because sugar doesn't count on holidays, I made this blueberry cobbler that my mom has been making my whole life. I also decided to frame and hang up some pictures I had been saving for our new house. I figured there's no harm in hanging them up now and enjoying them while we can, and just like the flowers outside, they're helping a lot.

Gracie has been catching up on naps today, and I've been gearing up for tomorrow: my first road trip with the babe. This will be the first of several road trips this summer, and I. am. terrified. Pray for her, pray for me, pray for us. Jesus take the wheel.

16 comments:

  1. OMG, I am still high on life hearing about Mariah showing up at your doorstep. Whitney told me about her master plan what seemed like forever ago (it was actually only about four weeks ago, but you get it) and I have been on pins and needles waiting for it to happen. I AM SO HAPPY IT WORKED OUT. I don't even know Mariah, and I love her. She and Whitney are both rays of sunshine and we are so lucky to have them!!

    BUT REALLY, remember when I showed up on your doorstep and got so flustered/excited that I spit my gum out at you? Never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I am cracking up at "Are we in trouble?" Hahahaha. Seriously thought that is the BEST surprise ever. So thoughtful. Sarah told me about your road trip -- I hope all goes well! I'm sure the fun you have will make up for any road trip shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's the coolest thing ever that a blogger "showed up" at your door :) And that storm sounds terrifying! I'm sure it'd be cool to watch from safely inside a house! Geeez!
    I am LOVING that party/reading shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still so happy this worked out. We had been trying to figure out when she could get over there for weeks. And I'm dying that you heard her FaceTime me. She had me on the phone before that, and I was like, "No, I want to be able to see her face! Put me on FaceTime!!" We're such dorks. haha

    And even though I couldn't be there, it warms my heart to no end that you two were able to meet and hug each other. Mariah is my clone so it was almost like I was there. I sure love you, and ONE DAY, I'm going to show up on your porch with goodies in tow as well.

    And I'll try not to spit my gum at you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. um this is such a great update. and your baby monitor reaches the pool? sweet glory hallelujah, your life is changed forever! or until you move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! Suddenly I felt much better about signing that lease.

      Delete
  6. We recently signed a new lease on our apartment (boo), and I started hanging things and "styling" (I wish) our bookshelf. It's amazing how those little things can make a tiny space feel a little more like home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! I've been moving pictures around and hanging things up and I feel so much happier in our home now.

      Delete
  7. Oh how I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are writing about life! It's so good.
    Thanks for keeping alive these online journals.
    Your kids will thank you, someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is THE BEST. Thank you, Rachel! I'm glad there are other people who appreciate this kind of blogging :)

      Delete
  8. Oh how I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are writing about life! It's so good.
    Thanks for keeping alive these online journals.
    Your kids will thank you, someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to make a cobbler like that, but usually with red or black raspberries. What was even better was that Angel didn't really like that recipes (he prefers either berry pie or berry crisp, with an oatmeal kind of crust), so I could eat the whole thing myself and not feel like I ought to share. :)

    That is the coolest present/surprise from the internet ever! Also, I'm not cool because I'm not 100% sure what Facetime is and I'm sure I wouldn't recognize a specific ring for it, but I'm assuming it's some version of Skype. The Skype ring, now that I recognize...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been drooling over that cobbler for days!

    When Kelsey told me that Whitney's sister was going to surprise you, I immediately thought, "If anyone showed up randomly at my house, they would find me without any make up and probably not wearing a bra." So I am l-o-l-ing that you were in the same state I would've been in. I'M SO HAPPY IT WORKED OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too hate driving while it's raining and also just being a passenger. I love me some rain, but only when I'm at home with zero plans to go out in it.

    Prayers headed your way for your drive! You can do it! Once you conquer this anything else will be a cinch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Road trips are fun! Get G used to it now and she'll be a great little traveler for the rest of your lives. Good luck! (P.S: My girls like the "I Like to Party" shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.