5.09.2016

tornadoes and wardrobe malfunctions



I spent Mother's Day eating pancakes and binge-watching Tornado Chasers. Listen, nothing gets me riled up like a show on tornadoes. I LIVE FOR THIS KIND OF DRAMA. The storm chasers were all over Oklahoma, and I kept thinking about Amanda and The Pioneer Woman and how if I lived there I would conduct my entire life from a storm shelter during the spring and summer months. I don't know how you people have the nerve to go outside in the month of May.

Gracie's Mother's Day gift to me was to scream "dada!" in church over and over. She's rowdy and loud in church but for multiple reasons we hadn't ever put her in the nursery. We decided yesterday was the day after everyone turned and stared after a particularly enthusiastic "dada," so James carted her off to the nursery while I sat shaking in my seat and wondering what to do with myself now that I didn't have a child to hold or entertain. He stayed with her for awhile, slowly backed out of the room, and waited in the hall to make sure she was ok. She fiercely clung to a nursery worker and didn't cry, but I DID. I wept openly, in my seat, in front of everyone. I had been so terrified she would wail in a room of strangers, but she didn't. I did. This was a plot twist I did not see coming. On Mother's Day I learned I'm the mom with separation anxiety. I have some things to work on with myself.

In the middle of the pastor talking about the faithfulness of God, I leaned over to James and whispered, "I think this is the first time we've been alone in public since Gracie was born." Well, aside from the time my parents watched a 5-day-old sleeping Gracie while James took me back to the hospital due to delivery complications, but trust me, that doesn't count. I counted down the minutes until I could go get her and sprinted to the nursery as soon as the last song was over. I was so proud of us for surviving it and so glad to have my girl back in my arms. Now that I've tasted the sweet taste of freedom and we survived, I'm taking applications for babysitters. I will pay with you hugs and the use of my Netflix account while you're here.

After grabbing the babe, we walked out to our car while everyone else slowly filtered out. As I was handing Gracie off to James, a gust of wind blew my dress all the way up like an inside-out umbrella. Just when we hit this huge milestone with the nursery, it looks like we'll have to find a new church.

16 comments:

  1. Oh man- so much drama at church!! Lol! I'm glad Gracie survived the distance... although it's harder to rehabilitate adults so I'll be thinking about you during this battle with separation anxiety :) It sounds like you had a good Mother's Day, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with tornadoes and storms- we watch so many documentaries and movies about them! But goodness, you're right- I don't know how people live it. So glad Gracie (and you!) survived the nursery... let's just pretend the whole dress incident didn't happen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would HAPPILY babysit for y'all, but there are two problems: 1) I live ~12 hours away and 2) I'd want to hang out with you, too!

    It's almost time for my annual tradition of watching Twister (while having tacos). I am OBSESSED with tornadoes, but we've discussed this ;)

    Sounds like a pretty successful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean-- aside from the whole dress part!

      Delete
  4. Haha! I would like to apply for the babysitter position :-) why is she so stinkin precious?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be my #1 choice!

      Delete
    2. Sweet! I'm currently typing up my resignation for the hospital ;)

      Delete
  5. That reminds me of my first time putting Evelyn in the nursery! I don't think we did it till around 9 months & I was a mess. she was absolutely fine though and never cried! The girl would literally go to anyone (except for my MIL, until she was around 4 months she would just scream whenever my MIL tries to hold her) and she still has no problem talking with anyone, I on the other hand have extreme stranger anxiety. How did I get this outgoing children?!? It will tell you that if you ever have more children it's much easier with them. The first time is still tough, but not as hard.

    I have an odd love for tornadoes & until I had children I even found tornado warnings exciting. Since kids though I just have irrational worries whenever we have a tornado warning, even though a tornado hasn't even come close to hitting our city in at least 50+ years. The one book that I fondly remember from horrible my experience of public school in 4th grade was "Night of the Tornadoes". I loved it so much I made my mom buy it for me & I still have it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried the first time we took Ben to the nursery too and Josh went in to check on him three times ha ;) but good for you guys!!! It IS nice isn't it? I wish I could babysit for you, seeing her and Ben together would be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's not just me! James took one look at me in tears and started laughing, which made me laugh, which made me cry harder, and on and on. I was such a mess. I almost asked him to go check on her, and I kept listening for her. I would love if you could babysit her!

      Delete
  7. Reading this, I'm actually pretty sad that I know too well the feeling of counting down the minutes and sprinting down the hall to see your baby again. I'll stop there.
    As for the tornadoes, you get used to being "weather aware" and always knowing where your "safe spot" is and approximately how long you have until you need to go there. Many an evenings has been spent with the TV on. When there are tornadoes, literally every channel is showing it and you can't watch anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mom always says I scarred her for life the first time they put me in nursery as a nearly 1 year old. Apparently I just crawled right off all happily to play with toys and never even looked back and them, and I cried and didn't want to leave nursery when they came to pick me up. She thought that was the most terrible baby behavior ever, to not even care that I was left by my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from the west coast, tornadoes were always urban legends but we've had a couple funnel clouds in the area since we've been here. I can't wrap my head around that reality! (I've never seen one)

    Baby freedom is bittersweet. Just kidding, I love it. And baby. But seriously, freedom. I'm going to use an upcoming dentist appointment as an excuse to put Parker on daycare all day. Let freedom ring!

    Oi. I hope you were wearing your Sunday best underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from the west coast, tornadoes were always urban legends but we've had a couple funnel clouds in the area since we've been here. I can't wrap my head around that reality! (I've never seen one)

    Baby freedom is bittersweet. Just kidding, I love it. And baby. But seriously, freedom. I'm going to use an upcoming dentist appointment as an excuse to put Parker on daycare all day. Let freedom ring!

    Oi. I hope you were wearing your Sunday best underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't had a GOOD STORM in a long time here-- I can't even remember having any last summer that got me all jazzed to sit by the window and watch. I may have to tune into Tornado Chasers myself!!

    You and Gracie look too precious-- love both of your outfits. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day-- wardrobe malfunctions aside!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha! The last line really got me. Of course! I've been toying with the idea of putting Avalon in the day care at the gym, but I'm not committed.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.