6.12.2016

i've been eating a lot of feelings lately



Every time James is driving and pulls into a crowded parking lot, he looks for a parking spot as close to the front as possible. I would much rather bypass the chaos and head for the back of the parking lot. Whenever I'm riding with him, I roll my eyes and tell him he'll never find a parking spot. Without fail, he'll find one as soon as I make that comment. Truly, without fail. At this point I say it whenever he pulls into a parking lot, crowded or empty. I like to think I'm his good luck charm.

When I wrote the post on Friday about my horrible, terrible, no good, very bad week, a tiny part of me was hoping The Rule of the Parking Lot would apply, and would you believe it? It did. Friday was a great day. Gracie took a delicious two and a half hour nap, James ordered pizza for dinner and brought home a carton of ice cream, and all was well in the land. Saturday started off equally wonderful. James had to work in the morning, but Gracie was a precious angel who snuggled with me all morning and happily played in her room while I put laundry away. James came home and helped me clean the house. But then, horror of all horrors, Gracie resumed her war on naps. She napped, but barely, and was a raving lunatic the rest of the day because like her mother she cannot function on less than a hundred hours of sleep a night. I'm not saying she went to bed at 6:00, but she went to bed at 6:00. For the sanity of the household. Lest you think we torture our child, she went right to sleep and slept until an almost reasonable hour in the morning. And I celebrated by watching The Sound of Music while eating ice cream and knitting. Are you jealous yet? You should be. If there's anything I know, it's how to run wild on a Saturday night.

It's Sunday and the war on naps is still going strong. Her current favorite battle move is to stay wide awake, throw her blankets and toys out of the crib and onto the floor, and then take her pants off. Something about being pants-less seems to only strengthen her powers. If you're wondering what this toddler-baby stage is like, Anna wrote a post that perfectly describes it. When its good, it's the best thing ever. And when it's bad....it's awful. I mean, it's always the best thing ever, but that doesn't mean it can't also be terrible some days. It's for these reasons I accidentally made these Muffins that Taste Like Donuts this afternoon. They have renewed my will to live.

In other news, there is a giant military plane that has been flying very low and circling this area of town all afternoon. James rattled off a series of numbers and letters but I have no idea what they mean other than it's the kind of plane that flies tanks overseas. I've been like a little boy at a construction zone, running outside to point and take pictures of it and pretending it's WWII and we have to run to the bomb shelter because THE NAZIS ARE COMING. Maybe I've read too many war novels. You decide. Probably also because I was reading some C.S. Lewis while eating a homemade popsicle on the front porch, and he was talking about the Nazis when I first saw the plane fly by.

The babe is finally asleep and that means one things: it's time to pull out the ice cream and the knitting. Maybe also another muffin. We'll see how crazy things get.

 #whole30 #paleo #cleaneating #glutenfree

13 comments:

  1. I may or may not have eaten an entire box of fake girl scout cookies in two days. #NoShame

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm cracking up over the hashtags! I'm also looking longingly at the Pepperidge Farm Lemon cake thawing on my kitchen counter. But #clean(ish)eating. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's almost worth trading children for an early bedtime. Almost.

    You'd better believe I just pinned that muffin recipe. I bet it goes really well with pizza.

    I'm swooning over your popsicle and airplane sightings. Must make popsicles. Must knit outside. Must read a WWII book. Does Unbroken count?

    TGFP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RAGING children. Not trading. I need to check auto correct before I hit publish.

      Delete
    2. RAGING children. Not trading. I need to check auto correct before I hit publish.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it's almost worth trading children for an early bedtime. Almost.

    You'd better believe I just pinned that muffin recipe. I bet it goes really well with pizza.

    I'm swooning over your popsicle and airplane sightings. Must make popsicles. Must knit outside. Must read a WWII book. Does Unbroken count?

    TGFP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I burst out laughing when I read that she takes her pants off, and that it somehow makes her more powerful. Gracie, girl, take yo naps! You're going to miss them when you're older (says the girl who napped twice this weekend just because she could).

    Muffins that taste like donuts? I'm listening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep telling her! Though she's blessedly napping right now. The angels are singing.

      MAKE THEM. They're full of nutmeg and cinnamon and taste like fall. I know you like that.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your week turned around! Can you somehow give me some of that magic to turn this truly horrendous Monday around? I mean it's only 9am & I've cleaned up poop 4 times!

    The naptime rebellion is going strong around here too. Now it's trickling into bedtime too! But last night was a light at the end of a tunnel. Nick put a fussy baby who would not fall asleep down in his bed & he fell straight to sleep! He even slept till 6am, which hadn't happened for the previous 2 nights. Never in his 8 months of life has that happened. I'm not holding my breath that it will ever happen again, but it does give me a glimmer of hope. Now if only I would have slept last night too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister-in-law lives in Dublin and she was taking pictures of the plane and putting them on FB! I'm glad you got a day and a half or relief! Pizza and ice cream can fix anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was feeling so content about the salad I just ate for lunch until you mentioned pizza. #unfulfilledlife #somethingismissing #WHERESTHEPIZZA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feeling really sad that I don't have ice cream right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're just making me hungrier reading this. :P
    I think it's a universal thing honestly. When I have so much emotions, I turn to chocolates and ice cream or anything sweet there is.

    I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.