7.15.2016

reading rainbow

Let's chat real quick. Just us bookworms. Do you ever recommend a book you love to someone, they read it, and they don't feel the same burning passion about it you do? How do you react? Do you feel like you need to reevaluate your entire friendship with that person? Divorce them? Do you not care? Do you feel like you just told your crush how much you like them and they told you it's not mutual? Do you question life itself?

No? Just me?

Cool. Glad we had this talk.



Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys-4.5 stars: GAH. This book hurt so good. I flew through it. Sepetys is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Salt to the Sea is a fictionalized account of the true story of the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship rescuing refugees from the Soviet Occupation. She brilliantly writes about little-known parts of history that need to be talked about. As someone passionate about history, I'm ashamed that I was so ignorant to the plight of those in the Baltic regions during WWII. When it came to Hitler vs. Stalin, there was no good vs. evil. It was just evil, and the poor refugees were caught in the middle of the power struggle. While the overall story is tragic, the ending, like The Nightingale, is satisfying and bittersweet. But be prepared to lock yourself in your bedroom so you can cry a little bit when you finish reading it. Maybe bring a chocolate stash with you.

For fans of: historical fiction, crying, maritime disasters, refugee stories, WWII

The Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers--4 stars: Granted, these are three separate books (Voice in the Wind, Echo in the Darkness, and Sure as the Dawn), but I felt like I couldn't review them all without giving spoilers. I LOVED this series. It focuses on Christians in ancient Rome--one was a slave, some from a wealthy family, and one a gladiator. There's fighting, action, adventure, love, and faith. Some was a little ridiculous, some a little cheesy, but it was gripping. I read these in a time when I sorely needed some encouragement, and while these books cover some really dark things, they're ultimately uplifting. I loved the way certain people from the Bible were woven into the story and the tension between the Jews and Christians. I've been fascinated with ancient Rome ever since reading this. I think it's also really helped me understand the cultural context of the New Testament so much more.

For fans of: ancient Rome, faith, googling pictures of Russel Crowe in Gladiator to get a better mental image of the characters in the book

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath-3.75 stars: I feel weird reviewing classics, like I'm not qualified to do so. I usually don't include them for that reason, but I'm going to start since I find it helpful when other people write about reading the classics for pleasure instead of a school assignment. We all know what this book is about, right? A girl going a bit crazy and fighting depression? I stayed away from this book for a long time. Like Brain on Fire, I was scared of it, since I know it deals with heavy things and I once again found myself worried it would be contagious. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I think reading about descents into insanity and whatnot are fascinating. Terrifying, but fascinating. There were parts I didn't like and things that made me uncomfortable, but Plath was such an amazing writer that she could've written a chemistry textbook and I would've been hooked.

For fans of: depression?, books about mental health, praising God shock treatment is no longer a popular thing



Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly-4 stars: So much historical fiction, I know. I CANNOT BE STOPPED. Ok so listen. Your name is Caroline Ferriday and you're a New York philanthropist dating a French actor. Wait! Now your name is Kasia, and you're a Polish teenager doing whatever you can to protect your country from the war. But wait--there's more! You're now Herta, a female German doctor who will do anything to get to the top, including operate on the Ravensbruck Rabbits: over 70 women who had horrifying medical experiments conducted on them by German surgeons while imprisoned at Ravensbruck. The book follows each woman's story through the war and how their lives intersect afterward. It's based on the real life of Caroline Ferriday and the Ravensbruck Rabbits. It's a beautiful story of friendship and redemption. If you need more convincing, google the Bellamy-Ferriday house. That is the setting for part of the book. Gorgeous, no? Yes I realize my last name is involved and I'm willing to pull whatever strings I need to in order to make that my permanent residence.

For fans of: France, WWII, holocaust stories

I Capture the Castle-4.5 stars: I ADORED THIS BOOK. The English countryside in the 1930s. Castles, dinner parties, literature, and countless Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte references. SO WONDERFUL, right? I knew you would understand. This book was charming, quirky, eccentric, and just wonderfully adorable. Cassandra Mortmain is a teenager with a penchant for writing who lives in a dilapidated castle in the English countryside. Her family is poorer than poor and eccentric as all get-out. The book is comprised of 6 months of her journal entries and all the changes her family goes through. It's such a happy, light read. But! The ending. It wasn't awful, but it just didn't work for me. Maybe it will work for you? I nearly tossed the book at the wall. I wish a few things in the plot turned out differently, but it's still very good and worth reading.

For fans of: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Jane Austen, all things British, literature, castles

My Life in France by Julia Child--5 stars: Maybe this is shameful, but I knew nothing about Julia Child until I saw Julie & Julia when it first came out. I love that movie, and I've been mildly enamored with Julia Child ever since. Her personality! She comes through so well in this book. It's about her move to Paris in 1948 with her husband Paul, how she discovers cooking, the writing of her cookbook, the filming of the French Chef, and everything in between. The writing is completely delightful and charming. I couldn't put it down. I mean I like cooking, but I wouldn't call it a great passion of mine. I'm certainly no foodie (just gimme pizza!), but I still loved and appreciated this book. I love that Julia didn't discover her life calling until she was 37, and I love how she threw her whole self into it. A lot of french food doesn't sound appetizing to me, but I still salivated every time she described a dish she cooked or ate. She gets a little ranty about people who hold different political views and sometimes she waxes on about random culinary things I don't care about, but it's still worthy of 5 stars. I was so sad when it was over. And also hungry.

For fans of: France, cooking, questioning your cooking abilities, youtubing The French Chef late at night and then wondering if it's too late to go make an omelet 


What are you reading? Tell me!
SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. I love your book reviews. I've started coming back to them when I'm looking for new book suggestions. I cannot, however, keep up with you to save my life. I was averaging three to four books a month at the beginning of the year, but that has since declined to one. You are an all star reading machine.

    I'm forever behind the times and reading All the Light We Cannot See. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book was one of my absolutely favorites! I wish I could go back in time and read it for the first time again. Love.

      Delete
    2. And this is one of those instances in which I didn't love the book as much as everyone else did.

      Delete
  2. I always take it at a deep personal level when someone does not love a book/movie/music the way I do! HAHA.
    I love your little ditties "for fans of". (depression?---LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. I knew you would understand.

      Delete
  3. I hate when I'm obsessed with a book and recommend or lend it to someone and they're just "eh" about it!! I'm like, HOW?! WHY?! I totally get that. Probably 9/10 of the books you recommend always end up on my to- read list. I think you do a great job reviewing and enticing us without giving away too much :) So many of these sound really good- I will definitely put Salt to the Sea on my list, I love the WWII era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been too busy and/or tired to even get to the library lately, much less read, and it's so sad. I feel like my job puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to reading and reviewing books like a normal person, because I don't think I'm very easy to please. The last few books I've read that EVERYONE seems to love, I have thought were just okay. But anyway, I haven't read Salt to the Sea, but I've read her other books and liked them. I've also seen I Capture the Castle on a few lists lately and have that on mine! Your "for fans of" always crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... I'm now adding roughly 80% of your list to my GoodReads "want to read" section! I love historical fiction so I feel good about pulling recommendation from you ;)

    I just finished Orphan Train (which I so totally and completely loved) and now I'm reading Little Women, The Selection, and The Secret Daughter! All a little different but good so far nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I loved reading this!! I'm going to get a few of the books you recommended for our trip!!!! Loved it! Please keep sharing all your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ordered I Captured the Castle, and My Life in France. Can't WAIT to read them!! I also just ordered the book called Surprised by Oxford which i've heard great things about!! I want to read Salt to the Sea, but not on our trip because I don't want to be sad on our trip haha!! lame, i know, but on our honeymoon I brought a book about the holocaust and let's just say that was NOT a good idea! ha

      Delete
  7. Since I'm a girl in her mid-20s who almost exclusively reads YA books, yes I feel this feeling quite often haha! Most people don't have the same passion I do for "coming of age" stories. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Salt to the Sea" sounds amazing! So does "Lilac Girls." I'm definitely gonna look into those soon! I currently am reading "The Seven Storey Mountain," which is the autobiography of Thomas Merton, and I started reading it a handful of years ago and never finished it (#collegehomeworktookover), so I'm actually reading it now. I am really enjoying it, so far it's kind of like the Confessions of St. Augustine, but about a dude in the 20th century and it's waaay easier to read (not as much dense philosophy as Augustine). I also just finished "The Mermaid & the Unicorn," by Elizabeth Hajek, and I'm probably going to give it a re-read since I'm reviewing it for my blog before the book's official release date in August :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.