8.23.2016

currently, vol. 21










Loving: I went to the gym the other evening to run on the treadmill. There was a young, ripped dude lifting weights near me. I figured he must be thinking how ridiculous I looked, panting and gasping and drenched in sweat after barely running a very slow mile. As I slowed down, took my earbuds out, and begged the Lord to take me home, he looked at me and said "That was really impressive! I hate cardio. I don't think I could do what you just did. I'm really impressed! Good job!" I almost kissed him. I am under no allusions that my 12 minute mile was even slightly impressive, but that's the first compliment I've ever gotten on my athletic abilities, and I will be flying high on it for the next 30 years. I might even make myself a shirt.

Watching: Sarah & Duck. My friend Brittainy told me about this BBC kid's show on Netflix, and I love it more than Gracie does. They knit, they bake, they go to the library, and Mrs. Patmore from Downton is the voice of one of the characters. It's not annoying and it fills my house with British accents. What's not to love? I recently discovered my childhood love Little Bear is on Amazon Prime. It's still adorable. Little Bear's laugh still makes me cringe, though.

Also, season 6 of Blue Bloods is on Netflix, so you'll know where to find me for the next week or so. Tom Selleck forever.

Cooking: it was in the 70s (!!!!) for a few days, so I made tortellini soup and homemade bread. I also made a cup of pumpkin spice coffee before the weather warmed up again. A little fall preview. 

Reading: I have a stack of theology books to read. I took Gracie to the library on Saturday to grab them, and I had to literally chase her through the aisles. It's her happy place, which makes me happy, except when she's climbing over things in an attempt to make a break toward the audio books. She also took off toward the children's graphic novel section and pulled out a book for me to read to her called Fart Squad. No. 

Eating: On Saturday, we went to Melt, a restaurant downtownish that basically serves pimped out grilled cheeses. It will change your life. I haven't been in a couple years and it sounded so good. Not to mention, they decorate the bar all year with Halloween and Christmas decorations, and New Girl was playing on the bar tv. It's like they knew I was coming. 

Dreaming: last night I dreamed I lived in Texas and was back at a job I hated. In my dream, I had been demoted to buying everyone lunch, which amounted to buying two pounds of deli meat at the deli counter everyday and then buying things for sandwiches. Every day I was yelled at for whatever I bought or for how the meat was sliced. On one trip to the grocery store, a storm hit and the whole city flooded. At least it's an improvement over the dream I had a few nights ago where half my family died. I don't know what is going on with my subconscious these days. I have a whole post of crazy dreams I've had lately. 

And Gracie just crawled in the room with her pajamas off and her legs through the sleeves of a onesie she pulled from the laundry basket. Looks like I'll be needing an extra cup of pumpkin spice coffee this morning. 

22 comments:

  1. FART SQUAD. I lost it.

    I am so insanely jealous of your time spent at Melt and Jeni's this weekend. Those are two of my all-time favorite Columbus hot spots along with the Mexican restaurant down the street from your place, the little bookstore that looks like a house, and your couch. UGH. Miss you!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Girl on TV at any restaurant would have my heart. But really, a grilled cheese sounds incredible right now. I'm kind of a beast when it comes to making those, haha! I love that Gracie loves the library as much as you do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm making soup this week too, because it's finally not disgusting, and I am irrationally excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not irrational at all! This summer has been awful!

      Delete
  4. Those pics of Gracie looking through books are soooooo precious!!
    I love that you have been enjoying the fallish weather- I pulled out the pumpkin spice creamer this past week too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you did that! I need to buy some this year!

      Delete
  5. The man at the gym was an angel sent directly from God! Good for you lady working out! I desperately need to get back to it, but I've deluded myself into believing chasing 3 kids all day is enough. My pants would say otherwise. Thanks birthday treats!

    I both love & hate that you had tortellini soup. Love it, because it's one of my faves. Hate it, because I'm still avoiding cheese! Though Nick & I did decide our next date night is pizza no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, good for you for sticking with the running even with someone else working out right next to you!! We go to the gym a lot and I *still* hate being there when anybody else is there. And a 12 minute mile is nothing to sneeze at, there are people a lot slower than that!

    Fart Squad?? Who writes these books??? Clearly people without actual human kids.

    Pimped out grilled cheeses sounds fun. I like restaurants that have unique ideas and don't just do the same old burger and fries and pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A grilled cheese restaurant? I think I need one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom Selleck?! How about the guy that plays Jamie! Yum ;)
    I hope that when I have children they only want to watch British shows and Sesame Street. Because that's all I'm going to allow them to believe exists.
    Your fall preview sounds lovely and Melt is so delicious. I had a sandwich with shrimp on it from there once and it is forever imprinted on my mind/stomach.
    Two nights ago I had a dream that I met Adam Levine and gave him my husband's business card. Wife of the year right here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having someone who is in way better shape than you tell you that you are killing it, is like, THEE BEST. When that happens to me, I ride on the compliment for my next eight workouts, I swear.

    Also, I'm jumping in my truck to drive to Melt right now. Meet me there? Bring the tortellini.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That second picture of Gracie, haha! I want to know what theology books you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your "Loving". And honestly, I agree with that guy--I'd rather do the weight machines or any amount of Pilates over running a 12 minute mile. Running is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. British accents are the best! That kids show sounds awesome :) Your gym story is amazing, and it gives me hope for if I ever make it into a gym-maybe those scary-looking super athletic people aren't that terrifying after all! I'm gonna go look up the menu for that Melt restaurant now (yay internet!) because it sounds amazing. And I *think* I have cheese in the house, so maybe I'll make some grilled cheese even though it won't be as amazing :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! That grilled cheese sounds good.

    I like the 'still not in school' picture. So funny!

    It is true that people who lift heavy weights can hardly do cardio, nor can they bend over and touch their toes. I think variety in workouts is a good thing in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice older lady asked if she could take my cart from me while I was loading my trunk at Target yesterday and it just made my day. She wanted to "lighten my load". Wow. That compliment at the gym sounds amazing. I've got to remember to give out more. They can do so much for a person. Love the 'not in school' picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't even talk to me about anything else in this post. All I can think about is her luscious ponytail. MEANWHILE. R has only slightly more hair than when she was born and everywhere we go people think she's a he. Help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fart Squad 😂 I just laughed so hard! It reminded me of the lady who ran the preschool that I worked at. She has twin girls. One is super girly and the other is an extreme tom boy. She loves buzz and woody and most of all her Minion Fart gun! Anyway, I'm glad you love the show!! It was too good not to share. Ben still won't watch it, little stinker ;) umm and I would totally be on a high if anyone ever complimented me on my running (or athleticism in general...or lack there of. Ha) a 12 minute mile is the fastest I've ever gone (and that was when I was running A LOT) I think it's pretty impressive! I've been going on long fast walks with Ben almost everyday and doing these bikini body mommy workouts too, they're 20 minutes which makes them feel doable. Haven't worked my way back to running yet, you go girl! That Melt place sounds wonderful. Oh! And there's this place called Sister Pie in downtown Detroit that I've been wanting to try and I saw that they were doing an event with Jeni's and I wanted to go soooo bad since I've heard how good it is through you but they were sold out of tickets! Boo. Someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is this bikini body workout you speak of? Because....I need it.

      Jeni's!!! I'm so sad you couldn't go. You'll have to get some one day because it will change your life. If you ever want to visit, there's one 2 miles down the street from me :)

      Delete
  17. Grilled cheeses. I am now famished.

    I was the kind off kid that read Captain Underpants, but only once and I realized how juvenile it was. I want to say I'd have been better than Fart Squad, but who knows. At least they have books for all interest levels?

    It was cool enough to wear long sleeves last week and I nearly cried with joy.

    You are basically Louie Zamperini. Best day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blue Bloods is the BEST. It's one of the only shows Matt and I both love equally. So happy when season 6 was on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.