9.06.2016

closets, mosquitos, and jeans shopping

Unfortunately, our Labor Day was anything but labor-free. James worked all day Saturday, so Gracie and I made the best of it, even though she's getting more teeth and was screeching and wailing in misery all weekend. At this rate, she'll have her 2 year molars next month. My teething monster accompanied me to Walmart and helped me pick out a little red toaster, because the $15 toaster I bought when I moved into my first apartment 7 years ago finally toasted its last piece of toast last week. We grabbed some books at the library, as we do, and went home to hibernate while the 90+ degree heat came back to ravage us.

Sunday was a much better day. I did my seasonal closet purge. I had never noticed until this weekend, but for the past few years, I go through my whole wardrobe at the beginning of each season, getting rid of what no longer works and making note of what I need. I'm at the point where my entire wardrobe for every season fits on one rack in my closet. I love it. I never quite finished organizing my closet at the beginning of summer, so I went for it Sunday morning. I refolded all my hoodies, hugged my sweaters, lined up my cardigans, and frisked my fleece sweat pants, letting them know it's almost time to come out of hibernation. I put my shorts in the furtherest corner of my closet. I knew I was desperately in need of a new pair of jeans, and my closet cleaning only confirmed that. I bought my favorite pair of jeans 2.5 years ago at Nordstrom Rack, a few months before getting pregnant with Gracie. I wore them almost every day, until I was halfway through my pregnancy and they had stretched as far as they could stretch. I finally retired them when I sat down in a movie theater and had to unbutton and partially unzip them. I started wearing them again last fall, and I wore them until this past spring, when I looked down while taking them off and realized I could see daylight through the seat of my jeans. I had completely worn them out! They were also getting big, probably from being stretched thin, so I wadded them up in a ball and threw them in my closet because even though they were no longer wearable, I wasn't emotionally ready to part with them.

I mentally prepared myself for jeans shopping and went back to Nordstrom Rack, thinking MAYBE those jeans still exist? I grabbed a few pairs from a few brands in a range of sizes because it's 2016 and consistent sizing still isn't a thing. I found my favorite jeans and squealed but also braced myself for rejection, because nothing is quite the same since having a baby. I went to the dressing room and tried on the other brands first. They were the friend zone of jeans: I wouldn't mind hanging out with them occasionally, but they wouldn't make me excited to get dressed in the morning. And then I grabbed my favorite pair. THEY FIT. LIKE A GLOVE. I checked the size. They were the size BELOW my pre-baby jeans. I checked the size again. Still a size smaller than my old jeans. I checked again. Same result. I cried. I took 17 pictures and sent them to James with 100 exclamation marks. I almost texted them to my entire contact list.


I celebrated that evening with a burrito and salted caramel fro yo.

Oops.

I also celebrated with How I Met Your Mother and some knitting. Just a typical Saturday night for us. Gracie's day was made too, because I happened to find my Charlie Brown Christmas piano book in the back of my closet. She's been thrusting it at me ever since, thinking it's a book for me to read to her. It's been giving me an excellent excuse to sing Christmas songs, and she's been entertained for hours, pointing and laughing at sixteenth notes and treble clefs like they're the funniest things she's ever seen.






On Monday, we went to a cookout at our friends' house. It was so much fun. Gracie had the time of her life playing with their two-year-old daughter, who referred to Gracie as "Gravy," and I had the time of my life sitting and rocking their newborn. I think I blacked out the first few months of Gracie's life, because nothing about holding a newborn felt familiar to me. I was constantly panicking about supporting his head and trying to make sure I didn't drop him. I was stressed to the max, but he was so calm and adorable I caught myself nudging James few times. Gracie discovered that tricycles exist, and her world will never be the same. She couldn't quite pedal it, but I pushed her around on it and she was dying of excitement. She'll be starting a GoFundMe campaign any day now to raise donations for a tricycle of her own.

The menu for the night was hamburgers and hot dogs, but I wound up being the main dish. So far I've counted TWELVE mosquito bites on my legs, and that's not even including the three I already had on my chest and face. James and Gracie were next to me the whole night and have a combined total of zero bites. I feel like I have the chicken pox, except it's not Christmas 1993 and I'm not also throwing up. But I look like a leper (actually I have no idea what leprosy looks like), and unfortunately I will be too busy to do anything this week as I'll be scratching myself to death instead. Occasionally my mosquito bites will look like normal mosquito bites, but mine tend to swell into golf ball sized welts instead, which is happening now. With my luck, I've also been infected with West Nile and Zika.


But at least I have these awesome new jeans that cover most of the bites.

19 comments:

  1. If we stood next to each other, the mosquitoes would have a feeding frenzy. I'm seriously outside for .02 seconds and have bites everywhere. Ugh. So glad you found the magical jeans and so glad you didn't have to buy the Friend Zone jeans ;) You're funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gracie is so cute! I have never set foot in a nordstrum. whats it like? and i'm too lazy to scroll up to see how to spell it correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy and expensive, but nice. Nordstrom Rack has their last season type stuff, and it's a lot more affordable.

      Delete
  3. you make me laugh with every blog post! woohoo to smaller jeans, girl! it's time for a couple new pair of jeans, so i definitely need to check out nordstrom rack for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is practically a miracle that you for real found the same jeans again. Amazing. Well worth celebrating! Perfect jeans are like magic! I haven't bought any jeans since we moved overseas.
    Mosquitoes are the worst--our apartment complex regularly gets fogged for mosquitoes, which is toxic but nice, because here we have a pretty big problem with Dengue and Chikungunya--my sister was hospitalized with the second, I've had about a dozen friends here get hospitalized with the first...and that's the reason why I do wear jeans in the tropics if I'm outdoors at night...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! *clapping hands emoji* Stoked for you on finding the same jeans and fitting in a smaller size. This sounds amazing! Yeah, girl! Definitely something to be proud of! Sounds like a good weekend, except for the bites. I get welty ones too. Zika terrifies me. I also feel I would no longer remember how to hold a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo for those jeans!! You deserved every calorie of the celebration! Mosquitoes are the bane of my existence this summer. I can't even sit on the porch at night, because even with our mosquito torch candle lit AND the thermacell on, I get eight million bites. Matt gets zero and attributes it to eating a lot of garlic, but I cook all the meals around here and we're consuming equal amounts of garlic so I'm not sure what's going on.

    Your story about buying a toaster made me laugh because the last time my parents had to buy a toaster, they got to the store and my dad took an actual piece of bread out of his jacket pocket. My mom was mortified but apparently he had a toaster back in the day that was too shallow to get a full slice of bread in, and he didn't want to suffer that fate again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are few things better in life than amazing jeans. I can't even fathom how amazing you must fell in your smaller jeans. Probably like a freaking princess. I'm all proud of you. It's all that breastfeeding and Zamperini-ing, I'm sure. I want to be you in two years from now. Realistically. I had three pieces of cake today so obviously it'll take time.

    I, too, sang my child Christmas songs this week and he loved them. Don't tell Karl.

    Also, knitting and September go together like breakfast and leftover cake. You're doing life right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO YOU! That is pure magic. Most definitely worth celebrating with fro yo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heck yes for good fitting jeans! I think my closet needs revamped. I have so many MEH outfits and nothing that makes me get all heart-eyed or anything.
    Gracie's pineapple shirt is the cutest!
    Mosquitoes eat me alive, too :( UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeans that fit are a Godsend! A size smaller too! God was shining His face on you! The only jeans I've fell in love with as of late are expensive gap jeans so needless to say I'm getting by with only 2 pairs of jeans this fall (that were carefully budgeted in over the course of 6 months) and praying they last longer then any of my previous jeans ever have.

    So about bug bites. This summer Evelyn kept getting bug bites on her nether regions. I was stumped as to why this kept happening, because it's not as though she runs around pant less. Well we went on a walk an evening this last week and I got a freaking big bite on my panty line! I can only guess it's because I wore sweatpants rather than jeans and a mosquito either but me through my pants or flew up my leg! Regardless it's annoying and the itchiness wakes me up at night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous of your seasons! I want to have "summer" and "fall" and "winter" clothes...wahhh. OK, pity party over.

    Finding new jeans (and smaller ones!) that fit is the BEST feeling!!! My jeans that I always buy (at Nordstrom, gulp) cost an arm and a leg but they last a good 4 years and even if they didn't - WORTH IT.

    I can't wait for you to teach Gravy (ha ha) to play those songs for reals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to clean out my closet BADLY at this point. I have this random assortment of all seasons and maternity clothes (which are too big) and non-maternity clothes (which are still too small) and a few things in between.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love closet purges! I did one a few weeks ago, but you're the second blogger today to talk about closet purges, and that's kind of putting me in the mood to run and do that while Peter sleeps ;) AAAHHHH!! I'm so, so excited for you and those jeans. That's so epic and is total proof of the existence of God.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to NEVER get rid of clothes,but last year decided to start paring down my wardrobe big time. I still have too much junk though. I'd love to get it down to one rack too, of quality clothes that make me feel good. A lot of my clothes are crap or unflattering. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me years to get to this point! And I'm still not in love with a lot of my closet. It's a never-ending process.

      Delete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.