9.01.2016

nice to meet me

^^if you know who the title is quoting, we will be best friends for life


Hello! Hi! I thought I might try out a few days of this Blogtember thing since I've had a nasty case of writers block lately. Also because I've gotten some new readers over the past few months who don't know what a delight I am! I kid. Only a little.

I'm Michelle, as most of you know. If you ever forget my name, chances are you'll call me Melissa. Though my high school band director would occasionally read my name as Michael while calling attendance. I'll respond to all three. I hail from the West Coast, but I live in Ohio for the time being, and I love it. Big cities and Amish communities. There's literally nothing else I could ask for.

I went to college in coastal North Carolina, where I did my Shakespeare homework on the beach and survived two hurricanes. It was during these days that I met my husband James. He was playing the guitar at a Christmas party where I was on a date with someone else, and I almost bought a wedding dress that night. We started dating a few months later, were in a band together, and we got married in 2011. Our wedding day was a borderline disaster, and on our honeymoon we were stranded in a foreign country with no money and nowhere to go. But that's ok, because we all need a good story to tell. We spend our time watching The Office, Friends, and New Girl over and over and discussing theology and pizza.


We have a one-year-old daughter named Gracie and a cat named Noel. Most of Gracie's clothes have cats on them, which I take to mean I'm raising her right. Motherhood is both the most natural thing in the world to me and also the most brutal slap in the face. I'm a stay-at-home mom and my life revolves around nap time and walks to the park. But don't worry! I can talk about things other than babies.

I write a lot about books, because reading is one of my biggest passions in life. I have a deep, burning love for the library and music with a banjo. A lot of people get seasonal depression in the winter, but I get it in the summer. The hotter it is, the more miserable I am. I love the change of the seasons, and I dream about tornados at least once a month. I am happiest at home, and if I didn't have a toddler to wrangle, I would want it to rain every day. I'm a very bad knitter, but I do it anyway because I love it, and I'm always trying to turn myself into Laura Ingalls Wilder. I can play The Office theme song on the piano, and I once stood behind Peter Dinklage in the Las Vegas airport.

I'm not a photographer, I don't have an Etsy shop, I'm not a foodie, I've never written about my clothes, and I've never written a sponsored post. I love to storytell and connect with other people. I've met most of my closest friends through blogging, and I'm no longer ashamed of that. In this age of clickbait and blog posts telling you what and what not to do, I'm committed to talking about embarrassing moments at the grocery store  and getting stuck in a Baby Bjorn.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go turn on some music* and make some coffee**.



*maybe it's Christmas music
**pumpkin spice, I know, LAY OFF ME

18 comments:

  1. How do you like your eggs in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. DATE MIKE. I hope no eggs end up in your Crocs today.

    I MEAN, I already knew all of this stuff as I have been religiously stalking your online presence for about four years now-- but I still love it all just as much as if it were new information. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie is such a cutie! I also have a mild obsession with cats on Kids clothes and found the cutest velvet kitten loafers at Old Navy just the other day. And I don't even have a cat. My husbands allergic or I would. I'm right there with you that my life revolves around nap time and am looking forward to when J can enjoy the park. It was fun to meet you in the link up for blogtember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly which kitten shoes you're talking about! They didn't have them in my daughter's size or she would be wearing them now ;)

      Delete
  4. Creep-alert: That picture is from Barefoot Landings in Myrtle Beach, isn't it....
    I've been to Myrtle Beach too many times...

    We're friends because of Date Mike, pumpkin spice, and seasonal-winter-high (verses depression). Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of summer? You're my kind of girl! Heat makes me MISerable!

    Your little girl is so darn cute. Her hair certainly rivals the hair of my son! Everyone is shocked at how much hair this kid has. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. THANK YOU. A MILLION HIGH FIVES.

      Thank you! Her hair is insane.

      Delete
  6. Oh man, that whole last paragraph! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Date Mike!

    Playing The Office theme song on the piano is one of my goals in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could hear it in Date Mikes voice as soon as I read it 😂 I literally just downed the last sip of my first Pumpkin Spice Latte while burning the punkin French toast candle I just bought 🙌🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! This is how life should be lived.

      Delete
  9. That is so interesting to me how you get depressed in the summer. I have never heard that before. I hear people whine all the time about the heat and I now just look at people and say, "go to Burma." Which if summer depressed you don't go there because they have four seasons: hot, hotter, humid hot and rainy hot.

    Cats on clothes is super cute! I love cats.

    Who is hosting Blogtember?

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the kids in my Awana class called me "Auntie Rebekah" and when I told him that my name was Rachel, he was shocked. I've only been his teacher since January. Then he asked me, "Then who's Auntie Rebekah?" and I told him he's probably thinking of my little sister, who is a teacher in a different Awana class. But he's been in my class the whole year?!! Names are hard.

    I think banjos are really cool. At our first house in Malaysia, our neighbor could play the banjo, and would bring it to our neighborhood parties and I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.