9.03.2016

the best part about summer is that it ends in fall

linking up for blogtember


Hello. My name is Michelle and I hate summer. Summer is hot, and you know what else is hot? Hell.

I don't think that's a coincidence.


This has personally been a hard summer with my grandma's death and adjusting to the fact that we no longer live anywhere near family. But it's also been really, really good. And I'm trying to focus on the good of this summer instead of all the insanely hard days I've had. 

For instance:

1. Visiting Sarah. Eating hot artichoke dip late at night and watching The Bachelorette while our girls were in bed was a highlight of my life. The majority of our interaction has taken place in texts and the internet, but we could give each other one look and know exactly what the other was thinking.


2. Spending more time with my best friend from college and starting a bookclub for just the two of us.



3. Seeing The Avett Brothers up close and personal with Alissa and Kelsey. It's been 2 months and I'm still giddy about it.


4. One of my best friends got married, and I got to be in her wedding. It was an honor and so much fun. We have the same picture from both our weddings. I love it.


5. Visiting my family in their new home, exploring Iowa and the Mississippi River, and visiting Antique Archeology, and my mom accidentally buying pot socks. My grandma happened to discover that we have ancestors who were born and raised just miles down the road from where my parents moved. Crazy!

Also--surviving an 8 hour road trip ALONE with a carsick toddler.



6. Dozens of early morning walks to the park and around the neighborhood before the heat of the day hit. We must've walked hundreds of miles around this neighborhood over the summer. I had no idea how strong these walks made me until I started running again a few weeks ago and DIDN'T DIE.


7. Lots of watermelons, books, trips to the library to escape the heat, smoothies, thunderstorms, coffee and lunches with friends old and new, and learning how to adventure with a toddler.


Now for the love of all that is holy, LET THERE BE PUMPKIN SPICE.

And all God's people said amen.
SaveSaveSaveSave

22 comments:

  1. I think I loved following along your summer as much as you loved living it. I am never going to get over the FEELS of that Toledo show together. One of the best nights of not only the summer, but my entire 2016!!! And I love those side by side wedding photos-- 2 beautiful brides!! Too gorgeous!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like you grabbed summer by the reins and rode it into the sunset. You made the most of it and now it can go away and bring on the FALL.

    It was 32° yesterday (aka HOT) and all I wanted to do was wear sweaters and drink hot chocolate. My mind said yes but my body said more AC, please. I'm going to cry happy tears once chocolate no longer melts in my car.

    I'm so excited about your book club. Do you have a secret handshake?

    I hope that whenever you miss your family you wear your pot socks. Please say you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally hate summer- but this is the first year in a long time that I've actually enjoyed it! I had fun visiting you and hope I can again soon (because we need to try the new Jeni's flavors! Duh!!)
    Books, thunderstorms, and walks with Gracie would have all been my favorite too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this is great! I'm glad for fall too, all my spring gardening aspirations went out the window with the heat too. Or was it the mosquitos. I feel like this summer I was eaten alive by mosquitos whenever I ventured outdoors. I'll nominate you for the mom award for traveling with a sick toddler. Uugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently nursing 15 mosquito bites. I hear you! I AM DONE.

      Delete
  5. Completely agree with the title of your post! ;)

    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I lost my grandfather this summer too and it was harder than I ever imagined it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so sorry for your loss. I felt the same way--I knew it was coming and yet it still knocked me down.

      Delete
  6. I'm not alone in hating summer, actually that has to do with my rude neighbor as well as the unbearable heat this year! My neighbor has no respect for everyone else but himself (ok themselves, I blame the guy most of all)- he blares his music so it's vibrating the earth and inaudible to the rest of us and we cannot escape it by even closing the windows, putting on the AC, blaring the unwanted TV, etc!! I still want the rain as we should be getting some (either a tropical storm or the leftovers of it here in NY!) But we also need some rain as the grass is drying up around here, we have had a few minutes of rain here but not enough, geez, I mean the heat and humidity has been at an all time high (and only getting worse each year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Bad neighbors are the worst. I'm no stranger to those.

      Delete
  7. AMEN! Bring on pumpkin everything and cooler weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your favorite season is approaching! I bet you are going to make so many more fun memories this fall! Plus you can teach Gracie from a young age how to enjoy pumpkin and leaves and all things fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad there were lots of good friends and good times in your summer! (although I disagree with you on favorite seasons...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMEN to fall :) I am so ready!
    I'm sorry you had a rough summer, but I'm glad you have so many memories to look back on! Bring on the boots, scarves, and pumpkin spice everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even with all the crazy hard/bad things you dealt with this summer you still had an awful lot of fun! Now let's just hope fall doesn't take forever to show up and lasts longer than 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I laughed SO hard at the first part of this. You are hilarious. I'm sorry for your hard times this season, but hopefully fall brings you much, much better times. Annnnd less hellish weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to love summer. And then I graduated high school. Right?! I mean who cares about summer anymore when you work and have actual responsibilities and such. Bring on the fall and all it's goodies NOW! Congrats on running and not dying- that is a GREAT accomplishment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This morning I walked outside, realized it was cooler, thought nostalgically about how summer really was coming to an end and then thought about how you were going to be so glad. These are great highlights though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know when this happened, but I feel like it was summer last week and then all of a sudden everyone was all LET'S GET READY FOR CHRISTMAS! Now I feel like I'm totally behind and I'm not even sure where fall went!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your visit was the highlight of my entire YEAR. COME BACK SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite rightly you have been trying to engage yourself in some kind of activity. Last month after death of my grandpa I got quite depressed but one of my friends called me to arrange his wedding and I reluctantly accepted. Booked one of best Malibu wedding venues and had a great time arranging things there.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.