10.04.2016

God bless the broken road that led me straight to zofran



First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you who prayed and thought about us on our drive home. So many of you reached out to me all day long, and I felt so loved and like I wasn't alone. I could truly feel the prayers. Earlier in the week, I spent half a day playing phone tag with the pediatrician's office who was rude and very unhelpful and gave me advice like "make sure the car isn't too hot." Solid advice, but clearly they've never traveled with a violently sick toddler. Telling me to put the carseat in the middle seat (where it's been for 18 months) is like telling a pregnant woman with HG to eat some crackers and ginger. It will only give her more to throw up, and you'll be dropkicked in the face.

Anyway, after my last post, I did indeed go back to the coffee shop and drown my pre-roadtrip anxiety in an apple cream cheese muffin and a pumpkin spice latte (don't judge me)(it put Starbucks to shame). I spent the rest of the day biting my nails and trying to give myself a pep talk by repeating "I can do hard things" over and over like a psycho.

Another pediatrician, who will probably be receiving chocolate and flowers from me, prescribed the lowest of the lowest dose of Zofran for Gracie. I always feel twitchy giving her medicine, but desperate times, you know? It was also weird to give her the medicine I took while pregnant with her, but it also gave me confidence that we would survive, because I swear to you that medicine saved my life.

I'm pleased to announce it saved me again, because THERE WAS NO BARF. ZERO PUKAGE. Every time I heard a faint cough, water sloshing in the sippy cup, or smelled something rank from the farms we drove past, I had an immediate panic attack that she threw up. But she never did! She slept from central Illinois all the way to Indianapolis. She was fussy for much of the drive when she was awake, but it didn't bother me even slightly, because anything compared to the drive there felt like Christmas morning. I just felt so overjoyed that the medicine worked, we were on our way home, and I wasn't reliving the worst day ever.

About an hour and a half from home, I had to pull off to quash a meltdown and grab all the toys and books from the backseat and put them back up front so I could pass them back whenever she whined. I happened to pull off at the exit for a GIANT candle store. Seriously, gigantic. There's a Goliath-sized candle out front that has to be at least 20 feet tall. Next to the store, there's a large, round cage full of peacocks and a pumpkin patch next to the parking lot. It was the strangest, most delightful place I've ever been. Since I was feeling a little loopy from driving all day, I decided to go inside. I walked around for roughly ten minutes and never once found the end of the building. It went on forever. People were racing around, sticking their faces in candles the size of my thigh and filling up carts with Christmas garland and more candles. There were Christmas trees, a restaurant, a bakery, and a woman screaming in the bathroom because she dropped her phone in the toilet. I know what you're thinking, but it wasn't me. The experience gave me just enough stamina to finish the mind-numbing drive down I-70, where I cried tears of joy when I realized I was 10 minutes from home.

I came home to a clean house, open windows, and a pizza from my favorite place down the street. I was on cloud 9. I've been unpacking and decorating for fall and so glad the drive is over that I don't even care that my kitchen flooded when James gave Gracie a bath. And again last night when I bathed her and forgot about the previous bath. As long as she's not throwing up, I AM GOOD. LIFE IS GOOD. WE'RE ALL GOOD.

Zofran for President.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got something! Isaac had to take zofran at about 5 months old due to a terrible case of stomach flu that left him having not peed for almost 48 hours. It's a miracle drug I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for modern medicine! I'm so glad you made it home alive and not covered in vomit.

    That store soundd like some strange hallucination. A 20 foot candle? Are they trying to signal the mother ship? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so relieved for you!! I hope you don't have lasting trauma from the previous experiences! :) It's a whole new world for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyy!!! I'm glad you made it back to Ohio with everyone's stomach contents in place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY DRUGS!!

    Um, only an hour and a half from home? I think that store deserves a little more exploration on a day when you already haven't been driving for hours...and photos. Lots of photos. Because I agree with Anna, that place sounds like an acid trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zofran has my vote!! so glad she didn't get sick!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, glad you actually found something that worked! So hard for such a little one to experience carsickness--but hopefully this will help for future trips too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ZOFRAN IS STRAIGHT FROM THE GODS. I keep it on hand at all times. PURE MAGIC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, yesterday they called me from daycare and said R had thrown up. I went to get her, and on the way home she puked again. Beef stew from lunch. All I could do was roll down the windows and watch in the mirror as she pathetically sat in her own vomit chunks. And I thought of you. Glad you made it home without anything exiting the body!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I am just catching up and I want to say you are my hero and also, I'm sorry. I am in awe that you've done that drive twice by yourself and not just the drive, alone and long, but with all the chaos that ensued. You deserve every spiced anything you want brave mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Zofran! I just read your other post and 😳 how horrible for you both! I wanted to punch everyone (which was almost everyone I knew) who suggested saltines and ginger. HG is not morning sickness. People really just don't understand unless they've had it. So so happy you guys had a better trip home and had a great visit with family. That store sounds crazy! Have you ever been to Bronners in Frankenmuth? If not you really need to make a day trip out of it, it's every Christmas lovers dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No!! Did you have HG too? Every single person suggested saltines and ginger, including my OB, and it made me so angry. I've always wanted to go to Bronners!! I think I would die of happiness.

      Delete
    2. I did. I didn't realize it until later though. I was extremely nauseous from the moment I woke until I fell asleep and I threw up on average 10 times a day until I was 16 weeks. I never became dehydrated though or had to be hospitalized which is why I wasn't diagnosed at the time I think. When my OB would ask how I was feeling I would always tell him how nauseous I was but that was the extent because I didn't even know to ask about HG. I just thought well some women get it worse than others. I wish I would've known then because I feel like I would've felt a little less depressed if I'd understood what was going on. There were a lot of times that I felt or was made to feel as though I just needed to toughen up because after all it's just morning sickness (not from family but just others) I want to have another baby eventually but let me tell you, whenever I seriously consider getting pregnant again I shudder in fear of the HG. And seriously Bronners. YOU HAVE TO GO. It makes you feel like a little kid 😊

      Delete
    3. Oh Brittainy I'm so sorry! I had no idea what HG was until I was hospitalized with it. Even my OB seemed to think I was overreacting a little with the morning sickness, but clearly they have no idea what it's like to throw up 10 times a day! It's not something you can just toughen up and deal with. It's beyond debilitating. I have a list of helpful nausea meds if you get brave enough to be pregnant again :)

      Delete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.