10.25.2016

I went viral, but not the good kind

I think the past few weeks have been trying to kill us.

After the saga of my in-law's visit and all three of us getting sick at once, we've been dealing with things like health insurance problems, humiliating myself at Mops after a rare case of word vomit, a difficult well-check for Gracie, and our realtor retiring and forgetting to tell us.

And then on Thursday, I had the first inklings of another migraine. It hit me hard Friday morning, and by the afternoon it had morphed into vertigo. I found my anti-vertigo medicine just as I was getting to the point where I was going to start throwing up and not be able to stop. I started feeling a little better, but I woke up Saturday worse than ever. James had to work an illegal amount of hours both days, so I was stuck at home with a toddler while completely unable to hold my balance or walk in a straight line, not to mention that the migraine still hadn't left. By Sunday, I realized this was probably more than a migraine and vertigo when I was so weak I couldn't get out of bed, random parts of my body were tingling, I had shooting pains in my legs, and a host of other strange symptoms. I spent the entire day in bed, staring at the wall because my brain was in such a fog I felt like I couldn't think. Every time I tried to fall asleep, the neighbor kids would start screaming outside, or Gracie would scream downstairs. My only saving grace was that James was watching Gracie, cooking, cleaning, bringing me meals and medicine so I could stay in bed, and even went to the library to replenish my book stash. He is a saint. But mostly because he made a late night emergency donut run.

I woke up Monday feeling a little stronger yet sicker than ever.  The room was spinning wildly and was getting worse by the minute. I took some more vertigo medicine, but it only helped a little. I can count on one hand the times I've said "I need to go to the doctor," and this was one of them. I have massive doctor anxiety, and I would rather die at home than drag myself to a waiting room to a hear a doctor tell me what I probably already know. By 9:30, James was already leaving work to take care of me since I was shivering on the living room floor while Gracie drove her 1980s Fisher Price plastic tractor on my head. I called my doctor only to be told (and please read this in the pretentious french accent of Michel from Gilmore Girls) "I'm sorry, but we are completely booked." Also, my mom who was supposed to be on the way to visit, texted me and said her car wouldn't start.

Cue all the tears.

I wound up in urgent care, and thankfully a kind nurse let me lie down in a dark back room so I didn't have to stay in the waiting room. I waited there for an hour while the bottom half of me was cold and the top half of me was hot, my face was tingling, and my right ear was hot. The doctor eventually walked in, asked me three or four separate times if I have a rash or a runny nose, listened to nothing that I said, told me I have a virus and I'll probably be sick for another week, and then handed me a prescription for the exact medicine I told her three times I've been taking and it's not helping.

Cue all the tears.

James was able to stay home for a few more hours so I could rest. When James left to go to work tonight, Gracie threw herself on the floor in despair and cried for ten minutes. She was not the only one upset to see him go. Gracie and I struggled through a difficult few hours before bedtime, and then James called from work to say he's sick too. While I'm still quite dizzy, I'm feeling a little better tonight. Which is actually bad news, because I guess now I have to go to my dentist appointment tomorrow morning.

Cue all the tears.


8 comments:

  1. Oh, Michelle. WHAT A WEEK. And it's only Tuesday!! I'm sorry. That sounds so awful. I honestly thought to myself this morning that you hadn't posted on Instagram in a few days, and I was wondering if everything was alright.

    FEEL BETTER!! Miss you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I hate going to the doctor, too. (P.S: I have a doctor in my family and "it's probably a virus" means "I have no clue what this is.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy poop. All of this sounds so awful :( I wish y'all could get ahead of these illnesses and bad luck! I hope the virus (or whatever it is!) passes quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds TERRIBLE. Being sick and having to take care of a baby/toddler is the WORST. I too hate going to the dr, and Jordan basically has his dr on speed dial, so we are opposites when it comes to that madness. Hopefully your dentist appt is uneventful and you can both get back to full health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand a doctor being completely booked...like they don't even have a nurse that could have squeezed you in for a 5 minute visit in between other appointments? It's not like they're ever on time at the doctor anyway. Dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is terrible! I wish I could come steal Gracie away from you for a few hours at least so that you could have a break.

    I love it when doctors are useless. Yes, I brought my miserable self to you because I WANTED you to tell me nothing and help in no way. Thank you.

    I really hope things get better ASAP. And that James doesn't get too sick either, and that Gracie escapes it all.

    Please tell me about your word vomit. And UGH baby/toddler check ups. Parker has his next month and I just know the health nurse is going to tell us he's speech delayed and I'm a terrible mother. Hopefully all's well with Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There will be times in a woman's life when nothing she does helps her. A migraine is a sign that our body and mind needs to slow down. Since the only ways to get rid of a migraine is to lay in a dark room or to be very quiet. The hospitals or clinics are not always the answer. Take care of oneself and find that dark room.

    Clinton Scott @ U.S. HealthWorks Seattle (First Ave.)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.