11.28.2016

is your house on fire, clark?







I think this was one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever. My parents came for a few days, and we sat by a roaring fire eating food and pie and watching our favorite Christmas movies. We ordered some food and I cooked the rest. Minus a cornbread disaster in which I forgot a crucial ingredient, everything was delicious, AND I still have almost an entire pumpkin pie to eat all by myself. This is the true reason I never got rid of my maternity pants. Gracie was so excited my parents were here that she ran laps around the house with her walker while screaming her head off. My dad brought her an early Christmas gift. I sent him a picture of a toddler latch board I saw online, and he recreated it for Gracie. For a kid obsessed with opening, closing, buckling, snapping, and zipping things, she's in heaven.

We didn't do any Black Friday shopping, but we did go out for Chinese food, ice cream, and coffee. And then mom and I wandered around the local yarn shop picking out knitting patterns, as us young and hip women do. They left on Saturday, and to cope with the sadness we pulled out the Christmas decorations. We were wrapping the tree with lights while we watched OSU beat Michigan in double overtime, and even though I don't usually care about football, I was jumping up and down screaming. If I were Gracie, I would've done laps around the house with the walker. I spent Saturday and Sunday evening watching the Gilmore Girls revival and feeling every feeling there is to feel. I have a hunch my overthinking of the whole thing is the cause for my current case of insomnia.

And now we're back to real life, and I woke up with my fourth...FOURTH...illness of the last two months. Never in my life have I been sick this much at once. I think this calls for pumpkin pie and another viewing of Gilmore Girls.


Also, if you think of it, please send up a prayer for Ohio State. There was an active shooter (or stabber?) on campus this morning which is only a few miles away from us.

15 comments:

  1. Perfection! Also, I'm imagining you running around with Gracie's walker! LOL!
    I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, but I'm sure pie and GG will help do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that thing your dad made, but you do realize Gracie will now be a (more) expert escape artist, right? She's going to be an excellent Houdini or secret agent someday.

    I'm not the only one suffering from Gilmore-related insomnia! We finished Fall just after midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning, but I stayed up a half hour to text with a friend that was watching it 30 minutes behind us. Then I just lay in bed, wide awake, unable to sleep. Thankfully I didn't have Gilmore-related dreams. That would have been too much.

    I think you need to stop leaving your house ever and give your immune system a break.

    I heard about that! Very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a fantastic holiday break with your family! I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, but at least you have pie, right? Jeepers, I will be praying for the safety of you and all the people in your area-that's so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many friends in Columbus- thankfully everyone I know was safe, but I still feel for the people who were injured :( Glad you guys are safe, too.

    That board your dad made is incredible! And I love all the festive decorations in your house! Can we talk about that game for a sec? Like... I'm not 100% sure OSU got that 4th down. If I was a Xichgan fan I'd be ticked. Fortunately I'm not, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like Jordan and I getting sick all the time because R brings germs from daycare, except you don't have that excuse so I don't know what's wrong with you ;) Hope you feel better soon. I NEED that latch board. I pinned a few of those forever ago and totally forgot about them but SO FUN. I can see her loving that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like my ideal holiday weekend. I'm still trying to watch all of GG...can't keep avoiding spoilers, it's impossible! Also, i think my mom got A a latch board too, and she is gonna be so jacked about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear your GG thoughts! The latch board is the most brilliant concept. And of course G has ignored it the past couple days. Kids. 🙄

      Delete
  7. You're so lucky your dad is talented!! I bought my son a busy board on Etsy and it was $70+ shipping 😩😩😩.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS PICTURES ARE GORGEOUS. Christmas decorations forever. And ever and ever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These. Not this. I haven't finished my coffee and my brain doesn't work yet.

      Delete
  9. That board your dad made for Gracie is super cool. Grandparent win! The pom-pom or whatever those little balls are supposed to be called...garland, is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That latch board is amazing! My aunt had something similar at her house for Avalon to play with at Thanksgiving and she sat down and played with it for about 15 minutes at a time (a record!). That's so sweet and cute that your dad made yours. I love the garland you hung. It's so unique and festive! I've been binge watching Gilmore any minute I can. I got my mom back into it over the holidays too. We haven't started the new season, although I heard the ending is a cliff hanger. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought spandex jeans. They aren't maternity ones either just awesome for the holidays =) I'm glad you had a good thanksgiving and yarn is fun! I used to knit every winter and it is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I legitimately told Ammon on Thanksgiving day that maternity pants should be rebranded as feast/buffet pants and marketed for everyone. Can you imagine a holiday dinner where nobody has to pop a button? Magical.

    Also, I am so into Christmas this year. Far beyond my normal love of candy canes and Christmas sweaters, I even bought and put up decorations before Thanksgiving. We're blaming it on nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Need more thoughts on your Gilmore girls rewatch! Your Christmas sweaters are adorable

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.