11.21.2016

let's hope it doesn't take another 19 months to do it again


The people in our lives have been so good to us. Friday was a sad day, James was working late, but our friends had us over for a play date and then took Gracie and me out to dinner. We had plans to go to the zoo after, but it was past G's bedtime and she was starting to melt down. Then the stars and babysitters aligned on Saturday, because James and I FINALLY went out on a date. The first one since Gracie was born. The last time the two of us were in a car with an empty carseat was when Gracie was 5 days old, and he was driving me back to the hospital because I was in so much pain. I may or may not have purposely planned this date on the opposite side of town as the hospital.

We went to a craft beer and burger place for dinner. We went when I was pregnant, but half the menu had something pregnant women can't eat, so we had to go back when all bets were off. I had a burger smeared with brie and date chutney and there wasn't a highchair next to me. It was BLISS. We walked to the movie theater after dinner. Everything was decked out for Christmas. The trees and buildings were covered in lights, Christmas music was playing, and IT WAS SNOWING. The first snowfall of the year. I almost cried I was so happy. I skipped through the snow, declaring it to be magical, and making everyone around me roll their eyes. It could not have been a more perfect evening, and I don't know the last time things have gone so right.

We shared a cherry coke and saw Hacksaw Ridge. It's been a couple days and I can't stop thinking about it. BEST WAR MOVIE EVER MADE. It was violent and gory which I didn't like, but the story was so powerful I'll never forget it. We sat in our chairs, completely stunned, once the credits were rolling. We talked about it all evening and all day yesterday. Go see it immediately. I'm already dying to see it again.


My best friend and her husband drove up to watch Gracie for the evening. By the time we got home, she was sound asleep in her crib. They did an amazing job with her, as I knew they would, and we are eternally grateful. Joellen knew I would love Hacksaw Ridge and made sure James and I could go see it. Not only did they drive an hour to babysit, but she brought me a stack of books to read and a toy for Gracie. When we got home, they were full of stories of how much pizza Gracie ate (I'm so proud), and how she told them she was ready for bed and then told them "bye!" when they put her in her crib and didn't immediately leave the room. She kills me. Once they left, Kelsey facetimed me from an Avett Brothers concert during one of our favorite songs. The only thing better would have been if I could've airdropped myself at the concert.

Gracie did fantastic, but the cat was not thrilled with the fact that we left her with a babysitter too. She woke us up all night meowing, and her final jab was to wake the baby at 5:30 am, which meant we were all up at 5:30. On the bright side, James made us a huge stack of pancakes by 7. I finally got my pancakes! And they were everything I had been waiting for. So much redemption in one weekend. The cat, on the other hand, has been on a hunger strike.

All weekend long I've been thinking about that movie and how brave those men were/are. I don't want to know what I would do on the front lines of war. It wouldn't be good. And then I tripped while walking into the bathroom and fell on the floor crying. So yeah, I wouldn't do so well in war.


17 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Burgers and beers and pancakes and war movies and friends! Sounds amazing.

    I love that Gracie said bye to them at bedtime. Best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO THRILLED that you two FINALLY got to go spend some quality time together sans baby. I hope you guys get to do it again really soon!

    The "bye" at bedtime kills me. Absolutely hilarious.

    Send me some snow!! It's been in the 20's and low 30's for a couple weeks but of course no precipitation or humidity whatsoever and my skin and cuticles are paying the price big time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH, I love this. Seriously, that picture of you and James up there is perfect. You guys look so great! So wind-blown! So refreshed!!

    I am so happy that my Facetiming lined up with your evening plans!! I really can't get through a show without wanting to Facetime you at least 15 times. I controlled myself and only called you the one time. Alissa and I kept flipping the camera back to us so we could wave to you but the lights were off so it was just a dark blur that maybe only vaguely looked like the two of us. But we were waving and saying I MISS YOU! I LOVE YOU!!!

    So glad you had a great weekend. You more than deserve it!! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so, so, so happy that you got an awesome date night. I love how God just set everything up with snow and decorations and everything! I would have totally been skipping through the snow, too :) That's neat you saw Hacksaw Ridge-I keep hearing incredible things about that movie, so I'm going to have to watch it eventually (though, no offense to whoever made it-the new Star Wars movie is taking top priority in our movie-watching budget).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you love that movie! Ryan and I talked about it for the whole next week! Also, I want to try that burger place!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for going on dates! They're SO needed, especially after we have kids! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it had been that long!! I'm so happy you guys got to go out! My sisters just saw that movie too and had the same reaction. And now I need to figure out when I can get a babysitter for two kids and go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I don't know how we made it this long.

      Delete
  8. Yay yay yay for date night!! What wonderful friends! That sounds like the perfect night! And you finally got your pancakes!!! You definitely mastered last weekend- it sounds like a perfect few days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caleb and I have been dying to see that movie, so I'm glad to hear it was so good!!! :) yay! I'm so happy you two got out for a real date!!! Make that happen more often! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture of you guys is really great! I'm glad you were able to get out together. I'm sorry Friday was a sad day, but it sounds like your awesome date somewhat made up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO glad you guys got to go an have a fun date! The way you describe the movie really intrigues me but I'm pretty bad at handling gore and violence in movies...even though it obviously is expected in a war movie. WHat you need is to find a friend like me somewhere around there, my whole life is basically babysitting my friends' kids for free. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know some people who swear by weekly date nights but we just never found that practical or even desirable... too much money and I'm too tired by the end of the day to go out! Every once in a while (but maybe more often than every 19 months) is okay with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you more magical times together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep hearing about that movie. I told Dave we NEED to see it! I told him I want to see it in theatre to get the full effect. Glad you had a fun date night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it sureal when you're finally alone with hubby and no baby ON a date? It's like...so weird feeling! But wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.