12.08.2016

confessions



+ This has been A Week. If it could go wrong, it has. Just to name a few: a contract on a house falling apart, flat tires, and both Gracie and me falling down the stairs at the same time. I've been trying to fight back with baked goods and Christmas music, but it's been hard. My current drug of choice is a ham, caramelized onion, and gruyere pizza from Trader Joe's. It's helping. A lot.

+ See that picture up there? That's my one-year-old daughter. DRINKING COFFEE. Please know I did not give it to her. Before I knew what was happening, she took it from my hands and downed the last sip. She put the cup down a few seconds later and said "NUM!" My coffee-loving genes are strong.

+ It's snowing. It wasn't supposed to snow today, but it's snowing and I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT IT.

+ There are two internet things I'm incredibly tired of. The first--gift guides. Please stop. They have never, ever been helpful. It's like the "must need have to have or your baby will die" newborn lists. Your baby most definitely does NOT need a nearly $200 foam pillow mattress thing to nap on. Also, my husband does not want a flask in his stocking.

The second thing is Boomerang on Instagram. I don't want to see your twitching on a loop. It looks like you're having a seizure.

+ I was invited to a gingerbread house party. It was supposed to be, to quote the host, just a time to drink hot chocolate and hang out with other moms. Then she emailed about doing a gift exchange. Then she emailed a list of items we need to bring. And then she emailed links to Pinterest, to give us "inspiration" for our gingerbread houses. I'm officially stressed.

+ Gracie's vocabulary is exploding again. She may not be a confident walker, but homegirl can TALK. She's started saying "need help," but it comes out "need a hoe." When she asks for more blueberries (aka blueberries or grapes), she calls them "boobies." Her pronunciation is a bit crude in more ways than one. She's also started telling me when she's scared, like when a stranger is nearby or she hears people talking outside. She says "I skeered! I skeered, mama!" and she wraps her arms around my neck. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANYTHING BETTER EVER.

+ James' grandparents sent several shipments of Christmas presents for Gracie this week. I think I'm more excited about these toys than she'll be. My parents got her a play kitchen, James and I got her a dollhouse, and I am chomping at the bit for Christmas morning! Christmas with a kid really is the best. Aside from all the wrapping I have to do. The only kind of wrap I want to deal with is the food kind.

21 comments:

  1. For whatever reason, I stopped reading that sentence up there thinking that the end of it was "...my current drug of choice is a ham" and I LOST IT. Part of me wishes that was the actual end of the sentence.

    I love, love, love, love listening to Gracie's babbling on Instagram!! MY FAVORITE. When my brother was about her age or maybe a little older, he used to love to touch, look at, and ask people about their teeth. He could say 'tooth', but when it came to 'teeth' he would say 'teets'. Imagine me, a ten year old, carrying my baby brother around while he yells at people to let him see their teets? I'm glad that's over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES to gift guides and DOUBLE YES to Boomerang. My third thing is Snapchat filters. Can we please just start leaving them on Snapchat where they belong?? That crap does not need to be posted to Instagram, Facebook, and wherever the hell else you think you look good with a giraffe face and anime eyes.

    I will never not eye roll so hard I give myself a headache when I see that stupid Dock-a-Tot on someone's "must have" list.

    Are you SURE she's saying "help" and "blueberries"? Because "need a hoe" and "boobies"...I'm just saying you might want to have a chat with that child and double check that your kid filter on Netflix is locked down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to snapchat filters!! THAT FREAKING PUPPY DOG FACE.

      Delete
    2. AMEN. Those big eyes freak me out every time. NO ONE CARES.

      Delete
  3. I could definitely live without the gift guides too. I have never once had to use one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! Most of the ideas are not relevant for my budget or anyone I'm buying for.

      Delete
  4. One of my biggest fears is falling down the stairs with Parker. I'll probably die and he'll be fine and Karl will come home to find me half eaten or something. I may think about this too much.

    Let me guess, she did not nap well after that picture was taken? But dang, look at that passion. I met a lady at Tim Hortons the other day who said her seven year old loves coffee so much. She bought him an XL decaf and then dropped him off at school. Hey, at least it's not meth.

    Every time I see the Dock a Tot I wonder if people have ever heard of SIDS. It is only safe for your child to sleep in a tiny, unpadded jail cell or they will SURELY suffocate and die. Why would you spend $200+ on breaking all the rules? Remember, the only baby item you NEED is some form of diaper.

    Parker has started saying "uck-y" for his soother (a term I used to despise, but I lost the battle) and "ee oooo" when I say I love you. I'm fairly certain there will never be anything better than my toddler talking. As long it's never talking back.

    Lucky Gracie! Please tell me how/if you're going to wrap the kitchen and dollhouse. I haven't even thought about wrapping Parker's kitchen, but I might now. So big. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha oh, I cannot imagine Gracie on coffee, based on the stories you've told us. At least you both survived the incident!
    Umm...that gingerbread house party sounds crazy. Like, when I hear "gingerbread house party," I automatically think of a bunch of people getting together, maybe each person brings one candy item to decorate with, and sloppily mashing together gingerbread, frosting, and having a grand ol' time. The party you were invited to sounds way out of my league!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Gracie with the coffee! And her telling you that she's skeered! She's gonna have a full conversation with me the next time I see her.
    This Christmas has to be so much FUN and magical with Gracie girl <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seriously will! Her vocabulary grows every day. I hope she'll love her Christmas presents, but I'm a bit worried since she's currently enamored with the package her toothbrush came in ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  7. I'm so with you on the gift guides. Please stop.

    I am stressed out on your behalf with that gingerbread party. You're going to need lots of coffee for that. I've seen your instagram stories of Gracie talking and it's the cutest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when kids pronounce things in their own way. My nephew pronounces 'frog' like the f word. ha haa ha! How do you not get injured falling down the stairs? I don't have kids and am already afraid of that. Our stairs are steep and old and we have no hand rail. Good thing you aren't going up and down my stairs.

    I'm so sorry about your house contract falling through. That's so stressful! I hope you are able to find a different house. Do you have several in mind that you like or were you set on that one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be calling in sick on that gingerbread house party...

    Tell you what, let's get a google chat going where we build (eat) ginger bread houses, drink coco, and chat sans a gift exchange.
    Sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That gingerbread house party would end up being a no-go for me. Woof. Hostess needs to get her sh!t together ;) Haha! I love Gracie's vocabulary! Child-speak is the funniest/cutest/best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you could use a gift for from the Internet for the party? Like bring a flask to the gift exchange? Sorry, still not helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracie's toys sound so cool. I love awesome toys. Not boring electronic beeping toys--just old fashioned awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is such a sweet thing! Also, I feel like we need to figure out how to fix those stairs...there have been too many falls down them lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. There's one spot where my foot keeps slipping!

      Delete
  14. It's good to start kids with the coffee loving thing early. How else are they going to grow into caffeine addles adults??? I think I was 9 or 10 when I convinced my parents that giving me coffee wasn't the end of the world, and I've spent many years making up for those lost years of not having coffee.

    That pizza sounds amazing. I'm going to go buy 6.

    Just say no to any gathering that requires you to bring more than a token hostess gift. It's just not worth the trouble. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reuben drinks coffee too. He even asks for it. It's so weird.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.